In Search of a M20J

Harleyguy2008

All, 
Good evening. I am in search of a clean M20J. Is there anyone that knows of anyone selling a M20J? I would like a post 1980 version with the LoPresti 201 mods and the Special Edition. I live in Williamsburg, VA but am open to purchasing from anywhere if the AC is clean. Thanks all. 

vr 
Dante

All M20Js have 201 mods, J=201. Later version added winglets and other minor changes are called 205s. Many older 201s retrofitted the 205 mods.

2 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

All M20Js have 201 mods, J=201. Later version added winglets and other minor changes are called 205s. Many older 201s retrofitted the 205 mods.

It’s kind of a weird lineage. The post-205 J models went back to the “201” moniker for a short time before dropping the “201” for the MSE name.

My J is in that weird in-between period, where it’s called a “201 SE” and has the MSE updates for 2900GW, but hadn’t yet been rebranded an MSE.

On 9/7/2021 at 4:22 AM, toto said:

It’s kind of a weird lineage. The post-205 J models went back to the “201” moniker for a short time before dropping the “201” for the MSE name.

My J is in that weird in-between period, where it’s called a “201 SE” and has the MSE updates for 2900GW, but hadn’t yet been rebranded an MSE.

Does yours have the landing light in the cowling or in the wings?

23 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

I could be wrong but I thought OP wants the 201 with new LoPresti (now Whelen) carbon cowl... 

That was what I thought as well.  I have the original LoPresti cowl and it is a big improvement on the original Mooney cowling.

5 hours ago, 201Mooniac said:

That was what I thought as well.  I have the original LoPresti cowl and it is a big improvement on the original Mooney cowling.

I would love to install it when I repaint the plane but they were extremely not interested in providing a clean one without a hole for the landing light (mine are in the wings, I don't need a hole in the cowling).  Seemed pretty rude about it too.  Oh well!

We have both…

The old owner of the Lopresti equipment…

and…

The new owner of the Lopresti equipment…

represented around here…

The Lopresti cowl is really good… fiberglass or carbon fiber….

If it has a landing light hole in it… that is because it’s housed the Boom Beam light….

Both of those Lopresti products are now owned by Whelen… the lighting people…

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

I don’t know much about the Lopresti cowl - is there something significant about it that would make you buy (or not buy) an aircraft because of it?

Seems there aren’t many of these in the wild, and if you find an aircraft with one, you’re likely to find an aircraft that has other things you don’t want. 

You can buy a new cowl today with the tuned inlets etc for 16AMU, which is a pretty small cost in the context of buying an airplane that otherwise meets your needs.

For what it’s worth, my stock cowl is great - I’ve had no problems at all with it. 

Well, they promised higher speed; 7 mph more for M20J and even more for M20F that would need to be brought up to M20J level with some mods (oil cooler relocation, windshield and such). It is a bit more then just a new cowl since it has a new NLG doors and additional fairings. I believe all made in carbon (or at least most of it). I wouldn't mind having it on my F but $16k plus labor might be too steep. YMMV.

On 9/7/2021 at 4:28 AM, toto said:

This is the best document I’ve seen that tries to identify all of the changes over the course of the J model line. Fwiw. 

http://www.mooneyevents.com/201hist.xls

That list doesn’t mention that 96-98 J’s have the ovation style interior (overhead light switches and fiberglass side panels covered with faux leather)

2 hours ago, amillet said:

That list doesn’t mention that 96-98 J’s have the ovation style interior (overhead light switches and fiberglass side panels covered with faux leather)

If you have the details, I suspect that the mooneyevents.com folks would be happy for the correction.

10 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Well, they promised higher speed; 7 mph more for M20J and even more for M20F that would need to be brought up to M20J level with some mods (oil cooler relocation, windshield and such). It is a bit more then just a new cowl since it has a new NLG doors and additional fairings. I believe all made in carbon (or at least most of it). I wouldn't mind having it on my F but $16k plus labor might be too steep. YMMV.

I wish they made a carbon fiber for my 252 cowl. 

On 9/9/2021 at 7:02 AM, toto said:

I don’t know much about the Lopresti cowl - is there something significant about it that would make you buy (or not buy) an aircraft because of it?

Seems there aren’t many of these in the wild, and if you find an aircraft with one, you’re likely to find an aircraft that has other things you don’t want. 

You can buy a new cowl today with the tuned inlets etc for 16AMU, which is a pretty small cost in the context of buying an airplane that otherwise meets your needs.

For what it’s worth, my stock cowl is great - I’ve had no problems at all with it. 

The thing to know about M20Js….

All M20Js are really M20Fs with a Lopresti cowl…. Version 0.0. :)

Mr. Lopresti brought modern aero updates to the squared off aluminum cowling that existed since the 60s…. In the mid 70s…

Improved airflow in and around the cowl…

Improved speed and engine cooling at the same time….

He added to that experience after he left Mooney… with the latest version of the Lopresti cowl….

Same guy, same goals, now available with carbon fiber lightness… and extra years of experience building version 1.0 and 2.0…

Roy was a typical Mooniac…

Just improved…

1) Aerodynamics…

2) Lightness…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

56 minutes ago, carusoam said:

All M20Js are really M20Fs with a Lopresti cowl

Yep. One of the things that makes the J the best Mooney ever :) :) :)

Al Mooney + Roy LoPresti is a perfect combination. 

But honestly, the stock cowl is great. I wouldn't turn down a LoPresti cowl if the plane came with one, but I wouldn't make it a requirement when buying a J. 

(That being said, if I needed a new cowl for whatever reason, a new LoPresti cowl would be awfully attractive.)

• Like 1

On 9/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, Harleyguy2008 said:

All, 

Good evening. I am in search of a clean M20J. Is there anyone that knows of anyone selling a M20J? I would like a post 1980 version with the LoPresti 201 mods and the Special Edition. I live in Williamsburg, VA but am open to purchasing from anywhere if the AC is clean. Thanks all. 

726DA287-0EEB-4EB3-A801-7382E211925F.jpeg.ff5addfb283458b186e18a6c6b5a3136.jpeg

• Haha 3