Waterless washing pirep

Joe Larussa

Getting the right Simple Green is important….

Having loads of water to wash off the wrong Simple Green is important too…

The wrong SG is great for cleaning oils off industrial machinery…

Using it to clean clear coated Aluminum alloy wheels is similar… it worked, but…  lots of water for rinsing…

Best to use the proper version…

-a-

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HY1MV7I?pf_rd_r=AQ3KV9TTWAH91CM1P48W&pf_rd_p=8fe9b1d0-f378-4356-8bb8-cada7525eadd&pd_rd_r=8662c7b4-2bd8-47eb-8285-3aaf698155a9&pd_rd_w=pY75s&pd_rd_wg=SDBC4&ref_=pd_gw_unk

I run LOP/SOP, and with a black painted lower fuselage and the Acclaim’s stubby left side exhaust, the bottom left of the underside gets a lot of the chalky white staining.

the combination of this, a creeper, and a bunch of micro fleece rags makes quick work of it.  The used rags are probably hazmat.  But the plane looks great

-dan

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, exM20K said:

I run LOP/SOP, and with a black painted lower fuselage and the Acclaim’s stubby left side exhaust, the bottom left of the underside gets a lot of the chalky white staining.

the combination of this, a creeper, and a bunch of micro fleece rags makes quick work of it.  The used rags are probably hazmat.  But the plane looks great

-dan

I’ve used TSM and it kills exhaust residue. Wear gloves pls.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 8:45 PM, toto said:

+1 for Wash Wax All

It’s the only product I ever use for washing/waxing. 

I use Simple Green for the belly though. 

https://washwax.com/

https://simplegreen.com/industrial/products/extreme-aircraft-precision-cleaner/?locale=en

The best product out there for the belly (and I’ve used them all) is a product called Buddha Belly made by a aircraft cleaning products company ….

On 9/8/2021 at 6:36 AM, toto said:

I’m not sure what to say about this. To clean the belly of the plane, I get on a creeper with a bucket and a sponge and basically scrub away until I can’t scrub any more. When finished, I’m completely covered in Simple Green - I’m soaking wet, with grease and SG and crap all over. It has never burned or felt any different from being covered in dirty water. 

I’m honestly not trying to defend Simple Green, and if it corrodes airplanes then I’m not going to continue using it. I certainly wouldn’t try to convince others to use it - I just mentioned that that’s what I use for the belly of the plane, and I’ve had consistently good luck with it for many years. 

A friend of mine got Simple Green in his eye by washing the belly of his airplane. It burned his cornea.

• Sad 1