Waterless washing pirep

Joe Larussa

Well I finally ordered up and tried waterless washing the Mooney. Used Wash Wax all, and I would say I’m pretty happy with the results. Cleaned the belly with the degreaser, then went back over it with the wash wax all. The mop kit made it fairly quick and easy, although some spots really need the old fashion microfiber cloth. I always hated the water spots I would get under the wings if I didn’t dry throughly.

A56739BF-B44D-4F93-85DA-DA8F4E487B07.jpeg

• Like 4

14 hours ago, toto said:

+1 for Wash Wax All

It’s the only product I ever use for washing/waxing. 

I use Simple Green for the belly though. 

https://washwax.com/

https://simplegreen.com/industrial/products/extreme-aircraft-precision-cleaner/?locale=en

We used to use that until it destroyed our paint. If you aren’t rinsing it off with plenty of water it’s corroding the aluminum at the seams as well. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toto said:

That's very surprising to me. The whole reason I started using Simple Green was because it met aircraft cleaning specs (Boeing et al). I've used Simple Green as a belly cleaner for many years with no problems at all. 

TDS_EN-US_SimpleGreenExtremeAircraftPrecisionCleaner.pdf 757.97 kB · 3 downloads

I've never seen that product.  I used standard Simple Green years ago and it caused corrosion on aluminum.  This must be a kinder product but not something I see on local store shelves.

Tom

13 minutes ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

I've never seen that product.  I used standard Simple Green years ago and it caused corrosion on aluminum.  This must be a kinder product but not something I see on local store shelves.

Tom

Very strange. I’ve been using the Simple Green product for at least a decade, likely much longer than that. It came recommended from aviation folks, and today is the first time I’ve heard of corrosion issues. 

As mentioned above, this is labeled as an aviation product, and meets the Boeing spec as a general purpose wash solution. Dunno. 

2 hours ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Tom

Your correct, standard simple green is corrosive on aluminum, it will even dull polished aluminum car wheels. and I’m pretty sure the label tells you that too, but it’s been a long time since I’ve used it, maybe the formulation has changed?

The UH-60 community learned years ago that lemon fresh dishwashing soap will corrode Cannon plugs too.

Army first was in love with simple green when it first came out, because it really cleaned tanks and trucks etc. then we found that it emulsified oil if I use the term correctly, but it makes oil mix with water and the mix flows right through the water / oil separator on the wash rack, so no more simple green.

‘I will use Stoddard solvent, PD-680, white spirits or mineral spirits. All the same thing, but clean the oily off, then wash the mineral spirits off with soap. But I understand many of you live where aircraft washing isn’t allowed?

Edited by A64Pilot

11 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Simple green. 

@jetdriven   As others have said, check your bottle of Simple Green and DO NOT use what is probably the ORIGINAL Simple Green on your plane, aluminum car wheels, etc., etc.  Read the label. 

SG does make other products that are okay for aircraft and other metals and surfaces.

1 hour ago, PeteMc said:

@jetdriven   As others have said, check your bottle of Simple Green and DO NOT use what is probably the ORIGINAL Simple Green on your plane, aluminum car wheels, etc., etc.  Read the label. 

SG does make other products that are okay for aircraft and other metals and surfaces.still  bad advice, the simple green extreme and the simple  green aircraft formula, the pink or purple stuff, still destroys paint and it corodes aluminum just not as efficiently as the green stuff, but it still damages your airplane. . Especially if you’re not rinsing off with of tons of water.

Look up that Boeing BMS spec for extreme simple green aircraft formula, and tell me what it says. It is a spec for aircraft bare metal corrosion, but there is no guarantee it won’t trash or paint. It just cost us $20,000 to have the airplane repainted, no big deal I guess, but extreme simple green is what killed it. Here is the real litmus test, get on a creeper and get under it and wash the Belly off, it takes the grease right off, but when that simple green runs down your arm into your armpit it burns with the fury. Ask yourself what you’re putting on your plane. If you wouldnt put it on your Porsche 911 Turbo, don’t put it on your airplane either.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Look up that Boeing BMS spec for extreme simple green aircraft formula, and tell me what it says. It is a spec for aircraft bare metal corrosion, but there is no guarantee it won’t trash or paint. It just cost us $20,000 to have the airplane repainted, no big deal I guess, but extreme simple green is what killed it. Here is the real litmus test, get on a creeper and get under it and wash the Belly off, it takes the grease right off, but when that simple green runs down your arm into your armpit it burns with the fury. Ask yourself what you’re putting on your plane. If you wouldnt put it on your Porsche 911 Turbo, don’t put it on your airplane either.  

I’m not sure what to say about this. To clean the belly of the plane, I get on a creeper with a bucket and a sponge and basically scrub away until I can’t scrub any more. When finished, I’m completely covered in Simple Green - I’m soaking wet, with grease and SG and crap all over. It has never burned or felt any different from being covered in dirty water. 

I’m honestly not trying to defend Simple Green, and if it corrodes airplanes then I’m not going to continue using it. I certainly wouldn’t try to convince others to use it - I just mentioned that that’s what I use for the belly of the plane, and I’ve had consistently good luck with it for many years.