Anyone know what this is?

PT20J

My avionics installer removed this when he was ripping stuff out of my 1994 M20J for the new panel. It's not on the schematic in the Service and Maintenance Manual and he said it was too intertwined with other wiring to trace it's connections. Appears to be a relay and some resistors and diodes and from the label it seems to be part of the instrument lighting system.

IMG_4137.thumb.JPG.5cbef4e2917b545b3c8507727e5699cd.JPG

IMG_4138.thumb.JPG.856d63d3d972e554faf70b9d57840ec2.JPG

8 hours ago, PT20J said:

My avionics installer removed this when he was ripping stuff out of my 1994 M20J for the new panel. It's not on the schematic in the Service and Maintenance Manual and he said it was too intertwined with other wiring to trace it's connections. Appears to be a relay and some resistors and diodes and from the label it seems to be part of the instrument lighting system.

IMG_4137.thumb.JPG.5cbef4e2917b545b3c8507727e5699cd.JPG

IMG_4138.thumb.JPG.856d63d3d972e554faf70b9d57840ec2.JPG

810088-508 is a Mooney part number, so most likely it's a dimming circuit made by Mooney that was put in at the factory when it was built. Any of the in-house-built relay boxes for the instrument panel seemed to start with 810088.

Too intertwined to verify what it does so he/she removes it anyway? Avionics shops charge way more than A&P / IA’s and leave orphaned wires everywhere….. sorry for the rant, it’s just a pet peeve of mine

Well, in their defense manufacturers do some funny things with their wiring. For example the infamous auto dimming circuit using the nav lights.

11 hours ago, Mooney Dog said:

I think thats for a LORAN unit. Comes up as a loran dimmer module with a google search. 

That could be it. The airplane came from the factory with a KLN-90B which may have had the same interface as the KLN-88. The previous owner had that replaced with a GNS 430W and replaced the factory-installed Argus with a Aspen PFD. The shop did a hatchet job on the wiring. I’ve spent 3 years fixing stuff. Apparently this module was left in, but most of the wires had been cut. 

Skip

5 hours ago, PT20J said:

That could be it. The airplane came from the factory with a KLN-90B which may have had the same interface as the KLN-88. The previous owner had that replaced with a GNS 430W and replaced the factory-installed Argus with a Aspen PFD. The shop did a hatchet job on the wiring. I’ve spent 3 years fixing stuff. Apparently this module was left in, but most of the wires had been cut. 

Skip

I often wonder how much w&b would change if all the old avionics and wire got removed.... 

Just now, PT20J said:

Absolutely. There won't be anything in there that isn't connected to something. 

That’s real good.  Unfortunately not standard in the avionics business.  Not even common in my experience.  Is that normal for this shop or did you have to include that in your plan with them?

11 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

That’s real good.  Unfortunately not standard in the avionics business.  Not even common in my experience.  Is that normal for this shop or did you have to include that in your plan with them?

Tim Ren at Crown Aviation at KPAE is terrific. He takes pride in his work and his installations are very clean. He’s been doing this for a long time and his experience shows. Crown wasn’t the low bidder, but it wasn’t the highest, either, so I don’t think the quality is costing me more for the installation, and I’m sure it will save on any future maintenance.

Skip

• Like 2