ELT Test after New Install

Just had an Artex ELT345 installed after old Larago 121.5 unit failed inspection.   We connected the ELT345 to the GNS430W for position info.

This morning I've been reading about how to test this thing and make sure the 406MHz signal w/position info works.  The Artex install doc sends me to a web domain for sale, pimping other services!  Def. not. helpful.

I registered the unit with NOAA.  I'd like to pull it out of the hangar, get gps position lock, fire the ELT in test mode, and login to a web site somewhere to see that it was received in test mode, without paying some third party vendor for the privilege.  I remember recently (past year or two) seeing a www site with recent 406 ELT activations displayed on a map.

The Artex installation manual is thick as chowder.  Artex sends me to a web site that wants me to pay for data that should be freely available.  Just like we can get a compliance report for ADS-B out installs, isn't there something equivalent for testing of ELT function?

Can any one of you wise MS'ers clue me in on a good way to do test 406 ELT/position function?  The 121.5 works in the hangar, I want to verify the GPS position is working.

Thx.

Fred

The avionics shops have special test units that can receive the 406 signal and stamp the hex code. There are resistors involved with installing dummy antennas so it doesn’t want to transmit. 
That’s really the only way to read the hex code with the lat long. 
The other way is to get a call from the NOAA/USAF. It will normally come up 1 (800) 851-3051 for false alarms. 
-Matt 

31 minutes ago, MB65E said:

The avionics shops have special test units that can receive the 406 signal and stamp the hex code. There are resistors involved with installing dummy antennas so it doesn’t want to transmit. 
That’s really the only way to read the hex code with the lat long. 
The other way is to get a call from the NOAA/USAF. It will normally come up 1 (800) 851-3051 for false alarms. 
-Matt 

The Artex docs say that in the test mode, the unit transmits a code with two bytes swapped that tells the system that it is a test.    The website I found wants me to subscribe for $40 to confirm receipt of that test code by the system.   Being a CB, I don't want pay a third party to know this.   Steep charge for what it is.  Does anyone know if there an easier alternative such as the test we perform for our ADS-B out systems that doesn't involve paying someone for information that should be freely available?

I didn't follow the link in their documents, I did go to ARTEX and sign up for their "test" service. If you sign up for their service, you can push the text button and it sends a code to the satellites and you get an e-mail notifying you of the results. Given that my avionics shop charges $95/hour but I can do unlimited tests for $40 for a year (or six months) I chose the cheaper route. Regardless you don't get position info, just that the signal went out and was received by the satellite.

45 minutes ago, philiplane said:

Table doesn't say that 1 beep+flash means that position data are available or accurate.   Like I said that manual is thick as chowder.

I think I'll do as @PT20J suggests.  See if I can make a deal with the Air Force.   I'd like to know that the position data are present and correct.

yes, it only gives five beeps if no position data is present during the self test. There is no easy or cheap way to read what is broadcast. You can make a tap to go between the ELT and the harness plug, to read the RS232 Packet that is being sent from the GPS. Then you'll need a serial port reader.

12 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Table doesn't say that 1 beep+flash means that position data are available or accurate.   Like I said that manual is thick as chowder.

I think I'll do as @PT20J suggests.  See if I can make a deal with the Air Force.   I'd like to know that the position data are present and correct.

PIREP when you've talked to the AF, please. :)

• Like 1

Called them.  Sadly, they didn't seem bored.   I was instructed to go to here:

https://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/Beacon Testing Policy.html

and fill out a form.   I'm gonna do that.

EDIT:  Follow-up.  3 days advanced notice required.  Gonna sit and think about it.  Maybe I'll ask a big avionics shop nearby if they have the test rig and give that a try.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of weeks ago my plane had its annual.  The battery had to be replaced on my ELT.  When I got the plane home I heard a ticking noise coming from behind the panel.  It was like a watch ticking.  No idea what it was.  I called the mechanic and he said he did nothing behind the panel but they did replace the battery in the ELT and reset it.  He told me to push the reset button on the panel which I did and nothing happened.  He then told me that I may have to check the ELT in the tail and make sure it's switch is in the armed position.  I did and it was.  I decided to turn it off and turn it back on again but I accidentally switched it the wrong way and activated the ELT.  It was literally on for a second then off again.  Before I could walk around the tail of the airplane and climb inside to check if the ticking was gone (which it was) the Air Force called my cell phone to see if I was okay.  The ELT was activated for about 1 second and it took about 10 seconds for them to call me.  It was that fast.  I told them I was fine.  They asked me if I was at my home airport which I said I was and they said okay.  Quick phone call, nothing bad.  I was just shocked at how quickly they got a hold of me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Greg Ellis said:

A couple of weeks ago my plane had its annual.  The battery had to be replaced on my ELT.  When I got the plane home I heard a ticking noise coming from behind the panel.  It was like a watch ticking.  No idea what it was.  I called the mechanic and he said he did nothing behind the panel but they did replace the battery in the ELT and reset it.  He told me to push the reset button on the panel which I did and nothing happened.  He then told me that I may have to check the ELT in the tail and make sure it's switch is in the armed position.  I did and it was.  I decided to turn it off and turn it back on again but I accidentally switched it the wrong way and activated the ELT.  It was literally on for a second then off again.  Before I could walk around the tail of the airplane and climb inside to check if the ticking was gone (which it was) the Air Force called my cell phone to see if I was okay.  The ELT was activated for about 1 second and it took about 10 seconds for them to call me.  It was that fast.  I told them I was fine.  They asked me if I was at my home airport which I said I was and they said okay.  Quick phone call, nothing bad.  I was just shocked at how quickly they got a hold of me.

Both times when I got called it was a non-issue as well, but also pretty comforting about how quick the response was.    Anybody who doesn't have a 406 ELT connected to a GPS source should be thinking about it as critical safety/survival gear.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Greg Ellis said:

The ELT was activated for about 1 second and it took about 10 seconds for them to call me.  It was that fast.  I told them I was fine.  They asked me if I was at my home airport which I said I was and they said okay.  Quick phone call, nothing bad.  I was just shocked at how quickly they got a hold of me.

I've read that the GPS transmission with position info on 406MHz occurs once per minute starting about 50 seconds after activation.  The docs that came with my Artex ELT model 345 say that having it on for a few seconds will not cause a transmission on 406 MHz, just a weaker audio transmission on 121.5.  That you write indicates that this is not true, it can't be because the satellites no longer listen to 121.5.   Hmmm.  Seems like they picked up a 406 MHz transmission during your brief activation.   Anyone else confused?  What model do you have?   Maybe different manufacturers do it differently?

12 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I've read that the GPS transmission with position info on 406MHz occurs once per minute starting about 50 seconds after activation.  The docs that came with my Artex ELT model 345 say that having it on for a few seconds will not cause a transmission on 406 MHz, just a weaker audio transmission on 121.5.  That you write indicates that this is not true, it can't be because the satellites no longer listen to 121.5.   Hmmm.  Seems like they picked up a 406 MHz transmission during your brief activation.   Anyone else confused?  What model do you have?   Maybe different manufacturers do it differently?

I have the ACK E-04.  I was surprised as well.

• Like 1

Could be the speed that the back office computers are working at lately…

What used to take an hour to collect, then send out… now takes seconds to collect and send….

The more critical or dollar oriented… the faster the communications go…

Interesting that it is the AF that gets the call….  Sounds kind of like a coast guard kind of life saving activity…

I’d answer anyone that called me back….  :)

Make sure the cell phone is open to receiving calls… and doesn’t get accidentally redirected to the junk file…

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-

Pulled a/c outside, and acquired satellites.  Did a 1 second test with permission of my local tower Thursday night.  No call from Air Force.   Beep sequence said that installer didn't put in loop from pins 5 and 12 to activate the G-switch.   Visual inspection of sub-D connector confirmed.

Co-pilot and I soldered in loop between those pins today, and did another 1 second test with tower permission today.  Beep sequence confirms proper operation.   Again no call from Air Force.   Guess the Artex 345 one second test doesn't transmit to satellites.  This is good news.

Install done.  Don't have confirmation of accurate GPS signal, but beep code sequence says that it is getting GPS position data.

• Like 3