Ordering a new starter, needs advice

On 9/26/2022 at 1:04 PM, jghyde said:

Starting problems checklist

I have been through hell and back fixing a persistent starting problem on an M20C. Here's my checklist of how I'd handle the situation next time and save money.

1. Symptom - propeller will not engage. Likely a power issue. Change the battery even if your 3- to 5-year-old battery seems to be otherwise normal. Change the battery. I recommend Concorde RG-35 AXC.

2. Symptom - Propeller still will not engage after changing battery. Lube the bendix wheel on the starter. Use silicon.

3. Symptom - Propeller will turn with starter but engine will not fire, especially during hot outside temps. Change the spark plugs. 99% of the time it's the old spark plugs. I use Fine Wires.

Don’t forget to check the grounds …. All of them. Battery to airframe and airframe to engine. ….ask me how I know

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2022 at 10:07 AM, Planegary said:

Don’t forget to check the grounds …. All of them. Battery to airframe and airframe to engine. ….ask me how I know

This.  Had a crazy making problem, turned out to be a bad bond to airframe ground from batt neg terminal.

I purchased the Aerotech-MZ 4220  OH starter 4 years ago, maybe 200 hours on it. I get in to start the airplane and nothing happens. I might have hear a little wine or over spin of the starter but not sure. The stall horn goes off when i turn the key, and that's it. New battery at annual two months ago.  The planes in the air at lease 4 times a month if not more.  My first though was the relay. . Any ideas?

20 minutes ago, Lami said:

I purchased the Aerotech-MZ 4220  OH starter 4 years ago, maybe 200 hours on it. I get in to start the airplane and nothing happens. I might have hear a little wine or over spin of the starter but not sure. The stall horn goes off when i turn the key, and that's it. New battery at annual two months ago.  The planes in the air at lease 4 times a month if not more.  My first though was the relay. . Any ideas?

Something drained the battery. Once you get it charged up again you can trace what's drawing that power

23 minutes ago, Lami said:

From experience, check the grounds -- make sure all the wires leading to the starter are tight, including from battery to relay. 

That starter's bendix wheel may not have enough "power" to extend and engage the flywheel on the prop. Silicon lube for the bendix wheel.

Relays are cheap. 

I bet it's the battery though. Like Lancescaper said, I bet something drained it. The battery has to be charged all the way to operate that starter.

Edited by jghyde

4 hours ago, Lami said:

The ground path connections have to be as good as the power connections through the starter relay. Many engine ground cables from the engine to the firewall are in poor condition, leaving the engine to find its ground through engine control cables and wire shielding.

Skytec starters has a good troubleshooting chart on their website which you’ll find helpful.