Any suggestions as to where I can get a prop for my M20K.............quickly?

hubcap

Long story short - plane in for annual and discover prop blade needs to be replaced. 2 months lead time from Hartzell. I really NEED a prop to get me by for the next two months. I will buy a used one to get me by. Any ideas?

14 hours ago, Cody Stallings said:

Unfortunately I don’t have anything to offer.

Why does a blade need to be replaced?

Probably because the shop told him to send it to the prop shop down the street, and they ground the blades to limits and then declared it unairworthy. But that’s just me

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

That’s exactly why I did a reseal rather than an overhaul on the prop when I replaced the engine. My prop shop even recommended that.

Same with Slick mags. Again, recommended by mag shop. 

The really good shops try to save you money rather than rip you off.  

Skip

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Probably because the ship told him to send it to the prop shop down the street, and they ground the blades to limits and then declared it unairworthy. But that’s just me

Geez, that hurts, man!  I'm still sore about that :angry:

On 9/4/2021 at 8:23 PM, PT20J said:

That’s exactly why I did a reseal rather than an overhaul on the prop when I replaced the engine. My prop shop even recommended that.

Same with Slick mags. Again, recommended by mag shop. 

The really good shops try to save you money rather than rip you off.  

Skip

I don’t think that sending a prop in for overhaul every 10 years like we do in Canada is ripping anyone off, it might just save someone’s life.  

Clarence

10 hours ago, hubcap said:

Had to send the prop out to repair electrical leads. It had less than 200 hrs before TBO so I agreed we may as well overhaul…..one blade out of spec.

What make and model?  Knowing this would be helpful 

Clarence

2 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I don’t think that sending a prop in for overhaul every 10 years like we do in Canada is ripping anyone off, it might just save someone’s life.  

Clarence

The difference, as explained to me by a large northwest prop shop is that an overhaul requires that every operation in the overhaul manual be completed. With a reseal, they do exactly the same level of inspection and replace necessary parts, but they have more discretion regarding not performing operations that they deem unnecessary. Re-profiling the blades is often not necessary for safety and is destructive because it removes metal and you can only do it so many times before you have to throw the blade out. In my case they stripped the blades, checked for damage/cracks per the overhaul manual, cleaned up nicks on the leading edges and faces and backs and repainted. The prop is inspected, has new wear parts, is lubricated and is airworthy at minimal cost and loss of service life.

Skip

• Like 1

20 hours ago, M20Doc said:

What make and model?  Knowing this would be helpful 

Clarence

My prop is a Hartzell 2-blade with q-tips......I have the exact model but not with me at the moment. I am willing to purchase a prop of a different make or model just to get me by for a couple of months. 

Edited by hubcap

23 minutes ago, N231BN said:
31 minutes ago, hubcap said:
I have been unable to find any prop that I can purchase, install and fly. I will have new blades from Hartzell for my prop around October 20th. No flying until probably November for me.

Did you call on any of those Ad's on barnstormers?

Yes, I did. They were not available. I think they may have had one prop without a spinner. They told me that particular spinner was impossible to find. 

On 9/5/2021 at 7:05 PM, PT20J said:

The difference, as explained to me by a large northwest prop shop is that an overhaul requires that every operation in the overhaul manual be completed. With a reseal, they do exactly the same level of inspection and replace necessary parts, but they have more discretion regarding not performing operations that they deem unnecessary. Re-profiling the blades is often not necessary for safety and is destructive because it removes metal and you can only do it so many times before you have to throw the blade out. In my case they stripped the blades, checked for damage/cracks per the overhaul manual, cleaned up nicks on the leading edges and faces and backs and repainted. The prop is inspected, has new wear parts, is lubricated and is airworthy at minimal cost and loss of service life.

Skip

Skip,

I'm just curious, can you name a shop?  AC or NW prop? 

21 minutes ago, Igor_U said:

Skip,

I'm just curious, can you name a shop?  AC or NW prop? 

Dick Jacob at NW Propeller. He did a great job on the props for the Historic Flight Foundation’s DC-3 also. But I also know people that have used AC and are quite happy with their work.

Skip

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Dick Jacob at NW Propeller. He did a great job on the props for the Historic Flight Foundation’s DC-3 also. But I also know people that have used AC and are quite happy with their work.

Skip

Good to know.

Mike at AC is good but somewhat trigger happy to steer people to do full OH and not re-seal...