Annuals in New Mexico?

JRHogancamp

Hi, my 1983 M20J is coming due for its first annual. I'm located in Albuquerque, NM, and I've been shopping around for annual prices. The lowest price I have so far is base $2800 not including repairs. This looks really expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations or know of less expensive places near New Mexico? Thanks!

15 minutes ago, JRHogancamp said:

Hi, my 1983 M20J is coming due for its first annual. I'm located in Albuquerque, NM, and I've been shopping around for annual prices. The lowest price I have so far is base $2800 not including repairs. This looks really expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations or know of less expensive places near New Mexico? Thanks!

For just the inspection, no repairs, reputable place following a checklist, that’s reasonable.  If you want to save and learn about the airplane, find an experienced IA who will let you do an owner assist.  You can learn a lot and save $$ by removing/reinstalling all the panels, changing oil, lubing flight controls, etc.

• Like 1

I believe New Mexico to be much like west Texas, you have to travel a long ways to ‘get out’ of the area. I took my M20J to get annual at Don Maxwell’s in Longview (GGG) this year. Even with the southwest airline flight back home you will be getting the best attention for your plane and you’ll end up saving money over dropping your bird off anywhere else local/regional. 

3 hours ago, Tx_Aggie said:

I believe New Mexico to be much like west Texas, you have to travel a long ways to ‘get out’ of the area. I took my M20J to get annual at Don Maxwell’s in Longview (GGG) this year. Even with the southwest airline flight back home you will be getting the best attention for your plane and you’ll end up saving money over dropping your bird off anywhere else local/regional. 

How much was the annual cost in Longview?

Don’t want to frighten you, but the first annual is frequently pretty expensive. Seems a previously owned airplane always has deferred maintenance. I would have the first annual done at a shop with a good reputation that knows Mooneys well. That may or may not be a MSC.

Skip

On 9/2/2021 at 2:31 PM, Ragsf15e said:

For just the inspection, no repairs, reputable place following a checklist, that’s reasonable.  If you want to save and learn about the airplane, find an experienced IA who will let you do an owner assist.  You can learn a lot and save $$ by removing/reinstalling all the panels, changing oil, lubing flight controls, etc.

That’s what I did for the first 10 years at least every other annual, with an MSC annual every two or three years. After reaching retirement age (not retired yet- I have an airplane) I have let the MSC handle it for the past six annuals.

On 9/2/2021 at 4:13 PM, JRHogancamp said:

Dugosh aviation does M20J for $1870 to start. They are an MSC but he just had a mechanic retire on him and is going on vacation in Oct. so he’s pretty backed up right now. Once i get my mooney back I’ll give a pirep on how he did on my annual.