OEM CHT gauge not working

JoeM

CHT gauge pegs right when connector attached, pegs left when connector removed. Have already checked for OEM wire connected to F in connector being grounded. 2nd CHT wire is grounded. Bought and installed new probe. Took cluster apart and checked for broken wires. 

I have the wiring diagram and have read some threads.

Wondering if OEM gauge (cluster) can be diagnosed? Can they be overhauled? Anyone have a used cluster for sale?

Appreciate any help!

Joe

six-in-one cluter, or individual units?  canon plug or a different connector?

These gauges are basically ohmeters, more resistance moves the needle right, less resistance moves it left.

for the six-in-one, all needles should peg right if the unit is supplied power without any probes connected.  if any peg left, that indicates a ground fault in the unit.

I asked a similar question back in 2018.   The best answer was this: time for an upgrade to a modern, primary, engine monitor.   Easy self install if you are handy and have a cooperative A&P to supervise.   Best 3 AMUs you'll ever spend on your bird. 

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

I asked a similar question back in 2018.   The best answer was this: time for an upgrade to a modern, primary, engine monitor.   Easy self install if you are handy and have a cooperative A&P to supervise.   Best 3 AMUs you'll ever spend on your bird. 

Which engine monitor did you install?

1 hour ago, flyingchump said:

Which engine monitor did you install?

JPI EDM900.   Love it.  It's primary so you can just get rid of the Garwin cluster, plus your MP/FP and Tach.  Download your data to a USB stick.  Upload to Savvy's site, they let you view your data at no charge.   Subscribe to their service and you get a quarterly report.

Those Garwin gages are almost unreadable.  Install the JPI where you can read it.   It gives so much more information.    You can micromanage CHT on climb out.  You can lean as you climb.   Includes ROP and LOP leaning functions.   Here's how it cleaned up the right-hand panel.  I installed it right where the Tach and MP/FP gauges used to be installed.

IMG_1815.JPEG

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JoeM said:

I have an EI UBG-16 with all the probes. Would you upgrade to an EI to reduce install costs?

I wouldn't. I installed the new EI CGR30P with all new probes and wiring and removed the old EI. It's more work (I did it myself with IA supervision) but that way you have all new install and not inheriting some connectivity issues and such.

Let’s do this….

You have the EI UBG16…

With 4 sets of CHTs and 4 EGTs…

A typical time related upgrade is the CGR instruments…

A typical large improvement is their MVP50 instrument…  a competitor to the JPI900 and 950… All the data you ever wanted to have…

Saving money on re-using the probes could be a good idea….

We could ask the EI guy his thoughts on a good path to follow…. 

@oregon87 (Minimum modern hardware to replace an old EI UBG16)

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

I went from a UBG-16 to an MVP -50 and kept all my “probes” and never had any problem with them.

‘There is a difference in install though, if memory serves the UBG wires are connected direct, meaning a lot of wires go through the firewall. The MVP had an analog to digital convertor (UDC maybe) that everything connects to, and it’s a bus connection to the MVP. As the UDC I think it’s called is sealed it can be installed in the engine compartment, greatly simplifying wiring that goes through the firewall.

But with the MVP you have some other decisions as well, like fuel level senders, EI makes their own and are good pieces of kit, if you choose to stay with the factory ones you may have to purchase another box to convert the signal

MVP is going to be a bunch of $$$ though.

I Certified I believe the first production aircraft with an MVP-50, I had the choice of a couple of companies of course, one which you hear a lot about here. but what drove my choice was Customer suppport, primarily for the end users, the people who would buy the aircraft, E.I. went over and beyond to do this, understand many of our aircraft ended up in places like Africa, the Ivory coast, jungles of Brazil. Indonesia etc, which makes support a lot harder than only in CONUS.

Im short the MVP-50T was a great success. well received and ended up being very reliable in very tough operating environments.

When I replaced my panel, I cut the original out leaving .25” ledge around intact, I then installed nut plates in this “lip” then I cut the panel to fit over the lip, so removal of the entire right side panel was just remove a few screws. 

The factory aircraft we built was this way, and I can’t imagine why GA aircraft don’t have easily removable instrument panels. Do you know how easy it becomes to work on stuff when you remove the whole panel with a half dozen screws and put it in your lap? 

Imagine if you could pull the CB panel out 10” or so like that.

As with any of these all in one solutions, there exists a possibility of loss of electrical power will cause you to of course lose all of the displayed values

Edited by A64Pilot
  • Like 1

One thing to keep in mind is that the UBG-16 is not certified to replace a required CHT gauge with a redline/limit.  Both the CGR-30P and MVP-50P are.  If you have an existing engine monitor and would like to retain the existing EGT/CHT probes and cables, and possibly the existing flow transducer, we do offer upgrade options.  If upgrading from an EI engine monitor, we will even provide an adapter harness for the existing EGT and CHT probes in lieu of new probes and cables.  Doing so saves several hundred dollars on the purchase price, in additional the what will be saved in labor costs.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Turned out my new probe was the wrong one. Shout out to Dan at Lasar for getting me the new part number, so I could find a used one online. CHT in OEM cluster works fine now. 

Thanks to those MSers who helped me understand how the OEM system works. Got me on the right track.

i also appreciate the input on upgrading the UBG-16. That will be helpful when I redo the copilot panel.

• Like 1

Turned out my new probe was the wrong one. Shout out to Dan at Lasar for getting me the new part number, so I could find a used one online. CHT in OEM cluster works fine now. 

Thanks to those MSers who helped me understand how the OEM system works. Got me on the right track.
i also appreciate the input on upgrading the UBG-16. That will be helpful when I redo the copilot panel.
If your 6-pack gives you any more funny business, give be a shout. I've recently invested about 20 hours figuring out how mine works to turn it into a "working" shelf model after I replaced it with an EDM 900. I'm using an Arduino to make all the needles sweep back and forth independently. The pinout is very non-intuitive.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I looked for the part number for the OEM CHT probe and found SW 333B stamped on the probe.  I believe I saw on another post that the SW 333B imprinted on the probe leads  to Steward Warner which apparently still sells the probes for $612.00.  Ahem...  I'm looking for an alternative source. 

Thanks

Edited by GMBrown
new info