POSTPONED - Mooney Summit VIII dates TBD

Rick Junkin

Greetings all,

Mooney Summit VIII is postponed to an as yet to be determined date.

As communicated previously, COVID-19 has continued to be a major concern as infections have declined and surged throughout the past year and a half. While we find ourselves in a different position this year than last, the nature and timing of the current surge has made it impossible for us to forecast a responsible execution of the Summit in October.

We’re very disappointed in reaching our thoroughly considered decision to postpone the event but know it is the right call for the Mooney Summit and our fellow Mooniacs. We hold these events to save lives, and have applied the same decision making processes we use every time we fly to ensure we have considered and mitigated all identifiable risks to the best of our ability.  Our mitigations fell short, so we made the decision to postpone.

All registered attendees, presenters, and sponsors will be receiving a separate email with details on options for dispositioning registration fees and contributions.

Thank you for your understanding and continuing support of the Mooney Summit.

Fly safe and stay healthy.

Rick

• Like 3
  • Thanks 8

@Junkman and @mike_elliott, you continue to impress me with your leadership and transparency throughout this process.

Postponing an even that you have put your heart and soul into must have been gut wrenching but you are modeling the exact behavior that makes you such excellent educators and champions of safety.

If only more pilots displayed this behavior more consistently I’m sure the GA accident rate would be much lower.

You have my respect and admiration.

• Like 12

[mention=15047]Junkman[/mention] and [mention=11242]mike_elliott[/mention], you continue to impress me with your leadership and transparency throughout this process.

Postponing an even that you have put your heart and soul into must have been gut wrenching but you are modeling the exact behavior that makes you such excellent educators and champions of safety.
If only more pilots displayed this behavior more consistently I’m sure the GA accident rate would be much lower.
You have my respect and admiration.

I could not have said it better and share in your respect and admiration for Junkman and Mike Elliot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On paper, this is designed to be the best Summit yet. Rick has worked tirelessly to really put a pro event together. When it happens, it will truly be a "dont miss" event. Save a few vacation days and take off work to attend. Those that have prioritized it in the past have been glad they did.

Thanks Rick for your diligence and tenacity in this organization.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

On paper, this is designed to be the best Summit yet. Rick has worked tirelessly to really put a pro event together. When it happens, it will truly be a "dont miss" event. Save a few vacation days and take off work to attend. Those that have prioritized it in the past have been glad they did.

Thanks Rick for your diligence and tenacity in this organization.

The Southwest flights will go in the travel bank for the future Summit.

• Like 1

“When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” ~Alexander Graham Bell

Looking forward to seeing the next door to start opening….   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

This is the second event I was scheduled to attend this week in October in Florida that has been cancelled. The first was work related with me and 10,000 other computer geeks at Disney, and I wholeheartedly support the decision by both groups in light of the current situation.

• Like 3

The COVID is never going away. Just like the other corona viruses like the common cold will never go away. You might as well get used to it.

We had the H1N1 in 2009, which we didn't do jack about. It didn't go away, people are still getting it. MERS is still around and so is SARS-CoV-1, all 12 strains of it. I guess you will just have to wait forever.

So, why did these pandemics fizzle out? It wasn't from masks and social distancing. We didn't do any of that with them.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The COVID is never going away. Just like the other corona viruses like the common cold will never go away. You might as well get used to it.

We had the H1N1 in 2009, which we didn't do jack about. It didn't go away, people are still getting it. MERS is still around and so is SARS-CoV-1, all 12 strains of it. I guess you will just have to wait forever.

So, why did these pandemics fizzle out? It wasn't from masks and social distancing. We didn't do any of that with them.

Maybe all virus are not created equal, just like GA aircraft.  Mooney is fast & economical.  Covid-19 is just a bit more virulent.

• Haha 2

It was hard to make this decision but also the correct decision in my opinion. We do look forward to hosting Mooney Summit in the future.

For those that made hotel reservations, please cancel them. I will personally contact (likely by email) everyone who made a hotel reservation that still has their reservation on the books. 

Contact information for the three hotels in Tampa are:

Residence Inn 813.221.4224

Courtyard 813.229.1100

Aloft 813.898.8000

For those that wish to still visit Tampa the hotels will honor the room rates. 

-Seth

• 1 month later...
On 9/1/2021 at 5:21 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

Possibly the R0 number. But I'm not a medical professional. Great explanation of the R0 number in the movie "Contagion" for non medical professionals.

-Seth