Mooney will not Start, any ideas?

Returned to home base today after a week of flying with no starting issues on previous starts.  Conducted an oil change since the oil was hot, and upon turning the ignition switch, only one click is heard with the "START POWER" light illuminated on the annunciator panel as the switch is engaged.   The "START POWER" light goes out when the key is released.    The starter did not engage and the prop did not turn.   Both batteries were replaced a few months ago after 6 years, and indicated over 24 volts before the start attempt.   Tried to start on both BAT one and BAT two.  

I'm thinking either a start relay or ignition switch?   Any ideas?

Thank you.

David

2015 Mooney Acclaim, SN: 31-0130. TT: 922

Start power light is supposed to be an indication of the starter still engaged after the engine has started…

If you aren’t getting all the clicks from the ignition switch… that switch can be OH’d from a parts kit….

That is sure unusual for a plane as new as an acclaim….

Let see if @M20Doc has seen anything like it lately… (ignition switch challenge, Acclaim)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

If you heard a click, likely the starter. I just had to replace my 5 year old Skytec starter, same symptoms. Easy to check, get out your multimeter and see if you have power at the starter when you turn the key.
Either disconnect the power wire or connect via alligator clips…just in case the starter decides to turn over.

• Like 1

Perform a “percussion” adjustment on the starter, smack it with a hammer a couple of times, if that makes it work then the solenoid or the brushes in the starter stuck or have burnt contacts, and the shock unstuck them.

‘If this makes it work, it’s a temporary fix, but it should help fault isolate the problem, smacking a bad starter doesn’t always work, but it does surprisingly often

• Like 2

Quick update for today........Went out this morning, it started right up, no issues.  It was a cold engine, and wasn't hot like last night.   The SkyTec C24ST4 I have on there now was installed 10/2018 and has 400 hours on it.    To be proactive, I ordered a new SkyTec starter today from Aircraft Spruce and I'm thinking about ordering a starter relay to keep in the plane as a spare from Peerless Electronics, Inc for $484.55.   The PN for the starter relay is: 26.57.01.  The literature doesn't say it's FAA approved, but it does say in the literature it meets the requirements of MIL-R-6106.  I'm not sure if this part would be legal to install on my plane.  The labeling is identical to what's on my plane.  

Thanks everyone for your assistance!

David

See if there is any pireps on the skytec and the IO550….

There may be a model that has been deemed too light weight for the job….

PP fuzzy memories only… from way back when I was looking at lowering the weight on the nose, near a decade ago…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

Quick update for today........Went out this morning, it started right up, no issues.  It was a cold engine, and wasn't hot like last night.   The SkyTec C24ST4 I have on there now was installed 10/2018 and has 400 hours on it.    To be proactive, I ordered a new SkyTec starter today from Aircraft Spruce and I'm thinking about ordering a starter relay to keep in the plane as a spare from Peerless Electronics, Inc for $484.55.   The PN for the starter relay is: 26.57.01.  The literature doesn't say it's FAA approved, but it does say in the literature it meets the requirements of MIL-R-6106.  I'm not sure if this part would be legal to install on my plane.  The labeling is identical to what's on my plane.  

David

I wouldn’t install a Sky Tec, order a TCM energizer or a Tempest, your starter adapter will thank you.

Clarence

18 hours ago, Mooney_Allegro said:

David

It’s legal.  I used to carry a spare before I sold the airplane.  Mooney procured their relays from Peerless, and then charged over $1200 for them at one point.

Also, you should be using the Energizer starter on the TSIO550.  Although the Skytec starters will work in the airplane, they have known to be trouble on the big-bore Continentals, specifically with slipping starter adapters.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

It’s legal.  I used to carry a spare before I sold the airplane.  Mooney procured their relays from Peerless, and then charged over $1200 for them at one point.

Also, you should be using the Energizer starter on the TSIO550.  Although the Skytec starters will work in the airplane, they have known to be trouble on the big-bore Continentals, specifically with slipping starter adapters.

I just purchased a starter relay from Aircraft Spruce for my F.  There's another thread on it.  There's a long list of approved Mooney airplanes for the LAMAR relays.  

• Like 2