GTN 750 to GTN 750 Xi Upgrade

6 hours ago, Stetson20 said:

So I'm a simpleton. I went to the Garmin website and tried to figure out the difference between a 750 and a 750xi. Could someone explain the difference in plain (simple) English for me?

TIA

I've attached the Service Alert to the GTN Xi and GTN updates last December.  Look at what the Xi can do that the legacy GTN cannot.  Since that time Garmin added Smart Glide that the legacy GTN doesn't have the processing power to do.  So you're paying for those upgrades and those future upgrades that we don't know about, yet. Getting at the databases for updates is also easier with the Xi.

GTN Xi Main Software Version 20.10 and GTN 6XX:7XX Main Software Version 6.71 - Aviation Alerts and .pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, donkaye said:

I've attached the Service Alert to the GTN Xi and GTN updates last December.  Look at what the Xi can do that the legacy GTN cannot.  Since that time Garmin added Smart Glide that the legacy GTN doesn't have the processing power to do.  So you're paying for those upgrades and those future upgrades that we don't know about, yet. Getting at the databases for updates is also easier with the Xi.

GTN Xi Main Software Version 20.10 and GTN 6XX:7XX Main Software Version 6.71 - Aviation Alerts and .pdf 84.07 kB · 4 downloads

Dare I ask what it means to send an SMS text message from your GTN?

What is wrong with just pulling out your phone to look at the text message?

Nothing except it won’t work at the altitudes i fly on x-countries.

also with txting capability at altitude i can pull up any international Metar/Taf in a couple seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, kortopates said:

Nothing except it won’t work at the altitudes i fly on x-countries.

also with txting capability at altitude i can pull up any international Metar/Taf in a couple seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At altitude i get metar/taf via ads-b how is a GSR-56 able to send the text is it like a sat phone? 

46 minutes ago, Will.iam said:

At altitude i get metar/taf via ads-b how is a GSR-56 able to send the text is it like a sat phone? 

I said " i can pull up any international Metar/Taf " there are no international METARs/TAF through ADS/B

I don't know on the GSR 56, but it provides both voice and text as well as worldwide weather at varying subscription levels. But at $10K, I can't justify it.   

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/13270#overview

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2021 at 7:15 PM, kortopates said:

I said " i can pull up any international Metar/Taf " there are no international METARs/TAF through ADS/B

I don't know on the GSR 56, but it provides both voice and text as well as worldwide weather at varying subscription levels. But at $10K, I can't justify it.   

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/13270#overview

Curiously, they don’t list the GTN Xi units as compatible with the GSR 56. They list only the original GTNs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 1:07 PM, donkaye said:

You'e not going to get it without additional hardware from Garmin.

Screen Shot 2021-09-02 at 10.07.10 AM.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i use the Garmin inReach mini and you can send and receive texts through your phone. You can share your track for people on the ground as well and SOS.

I have the lowest cost plan like $14/month, limited free text but per text cost not expensive if you go over.

image.png.74cb4cb8304c1a2c750c8444f5ed7e64.png

14 hours ago, Cabanaboy said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i use the Garmin inReach mini and you can send and receive texts through your phone. You can share your track for people on the ground as well and SOS.

I have the lowest cost plan like $14/month, limited free text but per text cost not expensive if you go over.

I have it as well, although the full size version, and it integrates really nicely into Garmin Pilot so I don't need to leave it. But what really dissapoints me is that they don't support special shorter dedicated text numbers. For example Leidos provides a service by which I can text to 35872 MT and any domestic and international  station ID and I will instantly get the current METAR and TAF for it. I love this for international flying and partly bought my inReach expecting I'd be able to text them in the air using the inReach - but no! :( 

Edited by kortopates

I fly and hike with an inReach.  Besides texting (what they call Messaging), if something were to happen, once on the ground you are in immediate contact with their rescue center.  You can immediately tell them your condition and needs.

As for the Messaging, you have a limited number of free messages pending which plan you have.  But the Preset Messages are free.  NOTE: If someone replies to your Preset Msg, that counts towards your plan.  So just tell family/friends that when you send an update message, they should not reply "K"...   :)