Bent rudder stop brackets

Martin S.

Evening everybody,

Prior to buying my bird, I've seen quite some birds with bent rudder stop brackets (e.g. part 1 in the attached foto - this one is not mine). I understand that when the tow bar is excessively inclined during ground operation, the bracket on the push rod (labelled 2 in the foto) might hit the stop bracket (labelled 1 in the foto) and put some torque on it. However, my engineering guts tell me that's not enough torque (especially because the contact point is so small) to bent the bracket as on the image.

As explained, I have seen this on multiple aircraft. It somehow seems to be a pattern. Has anybody a guess for the cause? Would be nice to know.

Different question - is this bracket only for stopping - or does it only transports aerodynamic down-forces generated by the horizontal stabilizer?

Greets from Munich,

Martin 

IMG_5036.jpg

Edited by Martin S.

Hey Martin,

Great pic to go with the discussion…

Oddly, I haven’t seen them get any damage from the nose steering being over rotated…

When the nose steering gets over rotated, the tubes on the front nose gear crash into each other denting one tube with the other…

This is deep Mooney trivia!  All airplane controls get limit stops…  Mooney does a good job of hiding them internally… :)

Lets see if @M20Doc has seen any dented control stops…

Best regards,

-a-

Bent rudder travel stops is fairly common.  Oversteering and breaking the nose gear steering stops is one cause.  Mis adjusted nose steering stops can bend the rudder stops.  There are no rigging instructions for the nose steering and rudder controls in any Mooney manual that I’m aware of.

Clarence

37 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Bent rudder travel stops is fairly common.  Oversteering and breaking the nose gear steering stops is one cause.  Mis adjusted nose steering stops can bend the rudder stops.  There are no rigging instructions for the nose steering and rudder controls in any Mooney manual that I’m aware of.

Clarence

Thanks Clarence!

That confirms the pattern I have observed. Though I still wonder how such a large torque can be excerted by the small contact between both parts.

Edited by Martin S.

7 minutes ago, Martin S. said:

Thanks Clarence!

That confirms the pattern I have observed. Though I still wonder how such a large moment can be excerted by the small contact between both parts.

It’s the only thing I can come up with, unless there is another explanation.

Clarence

13 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

It’s the only thing I can come up with, unless there is another explanation.

Clarence

It sounds weird, but maybe they are bent to fit?

Clarence, on a different note - did you ever replace one of those? If yes - can you confirm that accessing and mounting the four rivets is possible by inserting a rivet squeezer through the inspection plate?

Greets from rainy Munich,

Martin

36 minutes ago, PT20J said:

I’ve never had to adjust mine, so I have no idea why bending the stop limiter would be necessary, but it’s in the service manual for the M20J. Maybe an access issue to the rearmost stop? 

89630424_Screenshot2021-08-30at7_12_50AM.thumb.png.3eea1ec1de28c5bc4cbf3d6f668d8acc.png

350178140_Screenshot2021-08-30at7_14_08AM.thumb.png.6b90951072a7d9a20dbdd994090d4a24.png

Skip

Skip  - I'm impressed, sharp research!

I would never have expected this rather "rough" adjusting method.

• 1 month later...