Holes on belly where antenna used to be

M20 Ogler

I think a sheet of 2024 and stainless fasteners is best course action. I went through this with an ADF loop antenna not long ago. I used cardboard first then duplicated in 2024, primed and painted.

There are perhaps more optimal grades of aluminum for this purpose but my hanger neighbor had plenty of scrap 2024 in his hangar.

• Like 1

Cardboard works well for layout, but I find myself visually challenged.  I used a piece of thin plexiglass.  My former ADF antenna location had a doubler on the interior, so there were no structural issues.  I used 2024T3 as well, .032” I think it was.  Mainly because that’s what I had in my work order residue.  I used the existing nutplates to attach the new panel.

image.thumb.jpeg.44be11280ee14eb3363e21b85fd5bf0f.jpeg

image.thumb.png.e9a4a816c3f34d6cda526b8aa56a474b.png

• Like 2

I have been using, on a temporary basis, white gorilla tape.  I cut the patches in oval or circular patterns so there is no corner to to start pealing.  Man that stuff sticks well!  I'm not a fan of those nickel plated plugs.  I've seen too many rusty ones.  Rubber grommet plugs (perhaps with a bit o silicone sealant) should work, but I really don't want a bunch of black dots on my plane.  +1 for the flush patches; but until I can find someone to make them, I'm sticking with gorilla tape. rr

1 hour ago, john buhrman said:

I have been using, on a temporary basis, white gorilla tape.  I cut the patches in oval or circular patterns so there is no corner to to start pealing.  Man that stuff sticks well!  I'm not a fan of those nickel plated plugs.  I've seen too many rusty ones.  Rubber grommet plugs (perhaps with a bit o silicone sealant) should work, but I really don't want a bunch of black dots on my plane.  +1 for the flush patches; but until I can find someone to make them, I'm sticking with gorilla tape. rr

I think the ones at Home Depot are chrome. I’m plugging a DME hole in the fiberglass belly with a nickel one, but I’m painting it. We’ll see how it holds up. The new engine doesn’t blow much oil, so I can’t count on an oily belly for rust proofing.

Skip

Believe it or not but we used those plug buttons a lot on new aircraft, most are nickel or chrome plated brass, the plain brass are best if you can find them to hold paint. Other wise sand them with an angle die grinder

Install them with B2 fuel tank sealer and bend the fingers over on installation and they are a permeant repair

• Like 1