NOAA43 Flying in the hurricane

Yes, in a light aircraft this is what you would experience flying through this area today.  EZWxBrief shows EDR values of 55 which is approaching extreme turbulence.  

EZ-Turb.thumb.png.4d25fa9e811abeb0c026979f314d784f.png

One of the reasons these aircraft fly at 10K is to avoid getting into any significant airframe ice.  These storms tend to dish out some heavy icing and SLD. It's pretty cool that you can see the "hump" in the isotherms with higher temps right in the eye of the storm.  

EZ-Ice.thumb.png.dfe9267ea1f5a7203018cea751d2526c.png

EZ-SLD.thumb.png.9fcb9274e1977fd94f0fe824216b71e1.png

And here's some extreme turbulence showing up as the weather system passed right by KGAO.  

EZ-Extreme-Turb-KGAO.thumb.png.539767714ede78b5747365a8b7785bbd.png

• Like 1

Those flights are crewed by NOAA's uniformed branch, the NOAA Corps.  All commissioned officers, some with prior military service, some without.  They wear uniforms and have a rank.  Top notch group of pilots, weather, and logistics experts.

Fine bunch. They were based out of McDill AFB. Got to know a few of them. They would house the Airshow aircraft during the show in their hangar. Their twin otter platform was cool.

The old P3’s went by names of miss Piggy and Kermit respectively. 

They have a few Wild GIV’s that rotate out of Hawaii . I’ve chatted with them a few times. 
Neat Group. 
-Matt

I'm not flying into the hurricanes with NOAA, but I am flying the same type of plane. they were short flight engineers so one of the guys I work with headed down to fly with them for a few weeks, I may get the opportunity in the future.

Brian

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 7:25 PM, orionflt said:

I'm not flying into the hurricanes with NOAA, but I am flying the same type of plane. they were short flight engineers so one of the guys I work with headed down to fly with them for a few weeks, I may get the opportunity in the future.

Brian

Kewwwwl!  Hope you get to.  I know one of the pilots, and took him for a ride in my Mooney a couple of years ago.   To date, he hasn't reciprocated...

Back in 1989 Dr. Jeff Masters of Weather Underground was Flight Meteorologist on a flight into Hugo in NOAA42 (P-3 Orion).  His experience is written up as a 10-part article that starts here: https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/articles/hunting-hugo-part-1

Very interesting article.

Yeah airplane and hangar made it through IDA,  minor damage to hangar,  no damage at my house.  Now to keep the generators running .  I was worried about plane, couldn't fly it  out mechanical issues .   Hangar was almost in direct path center was about 10 to 15 miles west of hangar .

• Like 3