Pattern work when field is IMC

1 hour ago, Shadrach said:

Class G VFR minimums are 1sm and clear of clouds. I don't know what the airspace was like when you learned to fly but the magenta ring around KERV on the current sectional means the floor of the Class E starts at 700AGL and transitions to 1200AGL at the ring.  My understanding is that SVFR pattern operations would require a clearance from ATC.  Do you recall your instructor calling FSS or a ATC prior to takeoff?  If you were flying at or from one to another of the private strips nearby (outside the boundary of the magenta ring) it would legal to operate VFR clear of clouds with 1sm of vis within 1200AGL though likely not a good idea.

Negative. We did not call SAT for anything. This was pattern work only, not going anywhere. 

I remember him in training saying we are legal as long we are clear of clouds, and not go higher than 1200 and to listen for any incoming IFR traffic as they may not be listening for us doing pattern work. 

Was I legal?

2 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Negative. We did not call SAT for anything. This was pattern work only, not going anywhere. 

I remember him in training saying we are legal as long we are clear of clouds, and not go higher than 1200 and to listen for any incoming IFR traffic as they may not be listening for us doing pattern work. 

Was I legal?

Don't know what the airspace looked like when you learned to fly.  Legal today? No, the Class E floor over KERV is 700AGL (see magenta ring) so flying above 2300MSL means you need 3sm 500 below 1000 above and 2000 horizontal or SVFR clearance. I assume TPA at KERV is 2600. If you did pattern work at TPA work today in less than Class E VFR minimums without SVFR clearance, you would be in violation of 91.155.

Edited by Shadrach
  • Like 1