Check your database updates for errors/omissions via Alerts

While studying for my IFR test, I found and interesting note that we are 'required' by regulation to always check the 'validity' of our databases in our GPS via alerts/notifications.

Garmin and Jepp both provide these (free to review).  I have the Garmin link and it appears to sync up and display the Jepps also:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/aviationalerts/

Lots of db chks there....

-Don

• Thanks 1

Flying across europe i have been controlled by air police who asked me if i have the airport data base. I use the updated garmin in GTN750, and also as back up my IPAD with Skydemon installed. Also i am checking 15mn before to perform RNP GNSS approach that RAIM is available.

• Like 1

It’s a french thing. They sent an “air police” to our jet when we told them we were unable to take the RNAV departure they thought we didn’t know how to program our FMS. Once he was aboard and saw we did not have a gps he lamented over the radio that we were correct and needed vectors. They just never had seen a 767 without a gps apparently.  
even some companies can be CB. 

• Haha 2

It’s a french thing. They sent an “air police” to our jet when we told them we were unable to take the RNAV departure they thought we didn’t know how to program our FMS. Once he was aboard and saw we did not have a gps he lamented over the radio that we were correct and needed vectors. They just never had seen a 767 without a gps apparently.  

thanks, i would have never believed it if you hadn’t explained it! almost hilarious till your the one being detained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 9/2/2021 at 11:24 PM, kortopates said:

thanks, i would have never believed it if you hadn’t explained it! almost hilarious till your the one being detained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Liberty is a very precious treasure. Messy at times but always precious.

On 9/5/2021 at 7:54 PM, PT20J said:

You know, by the time I verify the database, check that WAAS coverage is available, and read through all the NOTAMS, it’s bedtime.

That's because, on a 2-1/2 hour flight from WV to KY, the FAA gave me weather and NOTAMs for every airport from Wisconsin to Boston to Miami . . . . Who has time to sort through all that crap?

• Haha 1

On 9/2/2021 at 7:15 PM, Will.iam said:

They also have them at Schipol. I can't tell you how many times I've been boarded and they have the entire crew blow into the Breathalyzer.