STARTER CONTACTOR (RELAY) - 67F

11 minutes ago, Janat83 said:

SkyTec lasted under 2 year and 200 hrs, I'm not aware if there's any better quality, I'm not totally satisfied with their starters solenoids however their starters are the best

Interesting.  I didn't seen an approved alternative.  And yes, my SkyTec starter is probably 15 years old.  So far so good.

SkyTec lasted under 2 year and 200 hrs, I'm not aware if there's any better quality, I'm not totally satisfied with their starters solenoids however their starters are the best

I just had to replace my Skytec starter that I installed in 2016…I figured it had only 500 starts…my 2020 car starter probably has more starts.
If their the best then we’re getting screwed.

14 hours ago, Janat83 said:

This is typical of metal can solenoid for reliability.   At one point I was able to find the Potter Bunsfield relay at McMaster Car.

2 hours ago, apriav said:

Spruce has a Lamar starter relay that I have good service from.

Be sure you get a starter relay, not a continuous duty relay.

I ordered what I thought was a Skytec STS-S12 starter relay.  I received a Lamar relay marked STS-S12 with a Lamar business card.  I'm wondering if Skytec is now buying their Relays from Lamar.  It came with the required PMA paperwork; it's made in Mexico; looks solid.  I'm hoping for good service life. 

Interesting…

Skytec doesn’t seem to have relays listed as a product…

https://skytec.aero/product/lycoming-aircraft-starters/

I would think they would rebrand somebody else’s to make sure their users could easily purchase a proper relay… for the application…

Lamar knows relays…   
https://lamartech.com/contactors-non-pmad/

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

Interesting…

Skytec doesn’t seem to have relays listed as a product…

https://skytec.aero/product/lycoming-aircraft-starters/

I would think they would rebrand somebody else’s to make sure their users could easily purchase a proper relay… for the application…

Lamar knows relays…   
https://lamartech.com/contactors-non-pmad/

Best regards,

-a-

The "Skytec" relay I received from Spruce was badged as a LAMAR STS-S12.  It's PMA'ed.  Check out results of the failure analysis on the old relay.  Looks like the black plastic spring guide washer broke and got wedged preventing the contact washer from closing.  That thing could have lasted another 50 years if it weren't for the plastic piece.  Little corrosion inside and the contacts were clean.  

IMG_2583 2.jpeg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DCarlton said:

What's interesting, is that it looks like it's designed to be mounted with the axis of the moving contactor and spring vertical.  Mine was mounted using the original '67F holes but it was rotated 90 degrees to a horizontal position.  Just for grins, I'm going to check with Lamar to make sure they're intended to be mounted in any orientation.  I'm guessing it might last longer mounted vertically.  The one that failed appears to be an early '90s unit; about 30 years old.  No idea what the original unit looked like. 

Edited by DCarlton

• 1 month later...

I'm wondering if anyone has some input on this.

We're 99% sure we've narrowed down the starting issues I've been having to the Kissling starter solenoid, PN 26.57.01. The problem is, I can't find anyone who has one of these in stock. 

I was thinking that a LAMAR STS-S24 Starter Solenoid would work, however it doesn't look like it's PMA'd for the M20R.

I'm waiting to hear back from Maxwell for some guidance on this.

In the meantime, the airplane's stuck on the ground. 

Are you aware of any alternatives? 

27 minutes ago, captd said:

I'm wondering if anyone has some input on this.

We're 99% sure we've narrowed down the starting issues I've been having to the Kissling starter solenoid, PN 26.57.01. The problem is, I can't find anyone who has one of these in stock. 

I was thinking that a LAMAR STS-S24 Starter Solenoid would work, however it doesn't look like it's PMA'd for the M20R.

I'm waiting to hear back from Maxwell for some guidance on this.

In the meantime, the airplane's stuck on the ground. 

Are you aware of any alternatives? 

Looks like you have two choices for Lamar…. 12V and 24V…  the S24 is probably the hint… that Os are 24V…

Seems to be a pretty standard Aviation part available through spruce and others…

Best regards,

-a-

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pnpages/07-03563.php?gclid=CjwKCAjw8KmLBhB8EiwAQbqNoIUyytvkNKz60_gkXnAJov_WXxo8fB1bUxPb1HVYtuxTV4tBCsVcnRoCz0kQAvD_BwE

My skytec contactor is on 6 ish years and 600 hours....it must have 600 starts on it...

I have a new battery contactor in my fly away kit....mine looks original but still going strong....I figured it is light enough and cheap enough to carry with me...

Since this thread is open again, I did check with Lamar and they confirmed that the contactors can be mounted in any orientation without affecting the service life.  If you use the original mounting holes, you may find the contactor rotated 90 degrees. 

I'm not a mechanic or expert either; just a M20F owner. 

Edited by DCarlton

On 8/28/2021 at 11:07 PM, DCarlton said:

I ordered what I thought was a Skytec STS-S12 starter relay.  I received a Lamar relay marked STS-S12 with a Lamar business card.  I'm wondering if Skytec is now buying their Relays from Lamar.  It came with the required PMA paperwork; it's made in Mexico; looks solid.  I'm hoping for good service life. 

SkyTec is now owned by Hartzell, so is Lamar. They are using the Skytec name on a lot of their starters and relays that used to carry other brand names.

• 5 weeks later...
Just wanted to give an update to the thread. I appreciate all the input so far. After calling six different shops to price out a starter adapter, Greg from Niagara called me back. He asked a couple questions.
"Has the slipping been happening when the engine's hot or when it's cold?" Hot. 
"What oil are you running?" Aeroshell 15W-50.
"Are there any additives?" Yes, Cam Guard. 
He explained that issues with the starter adapter are common on mid-life Continental 550s, but those issues usually present themselves when the engine's cold, not hot. By running the Aeroshell 15W-50 in it, as well as the Cam Guard, he said that it's a "double whammy" and might what's causing be the slipping issue. Essentially, there's too much lubrication. 
Apparently it's an issue that Shell and TCM know about. Niagara gets a phone call every few weeks from mechanics and pilots describing this exact problem.
He suggested I change to Phillips, don't add any Cam Guard, then fly it for a few hours. He believes this may solve the issue and get me to TBO. 
I changed the oil last week, but haven't had a chance to do much flying. Hopefully this solves the problem. 
For context, back in September, I took the family on a cross country trip from Idaho to Massachusetts. Just before leaving, I changed the oil and added Cam Guard. The airplane was going be sitting for nearly a month in Provincetown (PVC) surrounded by ocean, so figured adding some Cam Guard wouldn't hurt. It was on the return trip back from MA when we stopped in Minnesota for fuel that the slipping starter became a real issue. 
The engine has 1600 since new. I purchased the airplane in April, so don't have much experience with the Continental. 
Here's a video showing both a cold start and a hot start. It'll slip a little every now and then on a cold start. You can hear it briefly on the cold start. 

think you posted your update in the wrong thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk