A Peek At The New Panel / 2002 Ovation

V1VRV2

Just got this pic from the avionics shop. Kind of like the first ultrasound photo of your unborn kid. You just have to show people. Airplane should be delivered on Wednesday next week.

Legacy G600 display

GFC500 autopilot - installed in the lower right side of the main panel. Not in radio stack.

JPI EDM 900

GI275 STBY

8891FF72-1ECE-45F4-A1E4-F9C521779402.jpeg

6DC5B5F5-6BE1-4068-8541-38FA627D8D0E.png

• Like 2

On 8/27/2021 at 3:26 PM, V1VRV2 said:

77326931-4BEF-4106-BFEF-6EAB686DE3E6.png

That does look nice! Thanks for telling which model big screen is in the center.

But shouldn't there be two gear lights, a nice green one and another one for "Unsafe"? Maybe I don't see them because they're hiding?

• Like 2

The Ovation has 1 gear light that illuminates when the gear is down and locked. It’s located on the annunciator panel. In case the light bulb burns out there is a mechanical indicator on the floor.

Thanks for the comments. Can’t wait to get it back on Wednesday!

• Like 1

Not enough pireps on them V1!

The continued running of your engine depends on that one pair of mag switches…

I’m looking forward to your updates….  :)

I like the switch layout the best…

You know exactly what mag is supposed to be on or off…

No twisting and pushing on a key edge shaped button…

The Bendix switch can easily be mis interpreted…. Was that one click or two….

The Bendix switch is nicely labeled…. if you can get your head/eyes aligned with it…

Good luck with the equipment shake-down… 

Best regards,

-a-

I have the Electro-Air switch panel installed in a '67C.  There was a thread on Electro-Air switch panel in this form. That the rocker switches are kinda cheesey and poor automotive quality but functional. My main concern since the magneto rocker switches aren't the locking bat switches type. there's potential accidentally hitting mag switch (es). The other problem is the starter switch doesn't have a lock out mechanism. which concerns me on ground. so I pull the circuit breaker prevent any possibility the starter engagement. with the rocker switches takes more room on the panel.  Just my opinion for what it is worth.

James '67C

Edited by jamesm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, carusoam said:

like the switch layout the best…

The Electroair mag switches remind me of the old Supercub mags (many since updated with switch covers). The Supercub has the start button on the main panel, but otherwise - same idea. 

attachment.php?s=18dc429e5395858b15f74a5

ref: https://www.supercub.org/forum/attachment.php?s=18dc429e5395858b15f74a5d5f49eee7&attachmentid=7610&d=1341855811

• Thanks 1

Did an acceptance flight today but found an issue with the nav lights and heading fail. When the nav lights were put on we got a heading fail flag. With the nav lights off everything was fine. They seem confident the problem is caused by the proximity of the nav light wires to the magnetometer. I could be wrong but that the extent of what I understood.

The initial impressions are… the switch to EFIS is much more dramatic than I thought. My brain needs time to adjust to the new location and format of the information and needs to learn how to process it. That will come in a few hours experience.

JPI EDM 900. Wow! So much better than the Moritz. Glad I got it.

GI275… not much time to play with it yet but quite an amazing piece of equipment in such as small package.

GFC500…. Again not much time to play with it. Review to follow.

Gained 30# of useful load with removal of the vac, stby vac and all the other stuff. 

Debating if I need ForeFlight/iPad anymore. This panel has all the bases covered. 

79F1C23F-D6B4-4DF6-8D3E-BC5A035A4FF2.jpeg

• Like 4

I was trying to be thrifty and save some money upgrading the panel. The new displays are very expensive. A used G600 display was a good value. The G600/500 with the latest software update stretches it’s useful life. It’s still being supported and updated by Garmin. Im going to try to get used GTN650/750 next year.

• Like 1

So on my setup with 2 G5's and GNC255/GNC355 and GFC500 autopilot. I was experiencing a pesky intermittent attitude comparator fail message in the  data logging file.  The autopilot would kick off randomly without any indication on the G5 displays.  By having the Data logging feature enabled on the G5 this was confirming a  previous non flight critical fault which existed  prior to the Autopilot being installed. Having the data log file was extremely helpful for troubleshooting CAN and Autopilot issues. Not sure if the GI275 has similar feature or even has a data card slot. Does the older G500/G600 displays have CAN bus?   if you could some how take data from the  GFC-500  CAN  data and have it be  written to the G500/G600 data card is possibility or not?

James '67C

• 2 weeks later...

Inviting @pkofman to stop by…

An example of a JPI900 added to a Long body Mooney to eliminate the hassle caused by the original Moritz gauges…

For an example of a Bravo with an EI MVP50… find Don Kaye and see pics of his Bravo’s panel…

Sorry for the detour…. :)

Great pics V1!

Electricity running through wires… genrate magnetic fields… wires put close to a magnetometer…. Have a tendency to creat magnetic fields that are strong enough to be picked up by the magnetometer….  

Electricity and magnetism go well together… :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Haha 1