Need mechanic in San Diego area

frcabot

23 minutes ago, frcabot said:

Does anyone have a reasonably priced mechanic in the San Diego area they can recommend? The one I've been using is very unresponsive and I've been very unsatisfied with him. Need some work done ASAP. I'm based out of El Cajon with an M20J. Thanks!

I was very happy with the guys from coast air center at MYF.

If you can't find a mechanic at KSEE, I'm even more concerned about GA's future in San Diego County.  GA shops and mechanics are few at CRQ and so many planes have been pushed out of MYF to KSEE.  KSEE seems it'll be the last bastion of GA in San Diego when jets take over the rest.   Maybe we can build a list somehow of folks willing to service Mooney's in the San Diego area.  Ramona might be another option.   

Tangent...  Any idea what Coast Air is charging for their 45X45' hangars at MYF?  

Edited by DCarlton

Advanced Aircraft at MYF is a busy shop with lots of Mooney experience.  I had them replace the windshield on mine fairly recently.

I’m also searching for a local A&P that will work on my airplane in my hangar at SEE — please share contact info if you find one!

4 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

Advanced Aircraft at MYF is a busy shop with lots of Mooney experience.  I had them replace the windshield on mine fairly recently.

I’m also searching for a local A&P that will work on my airplane in my hangar at SEE — please share contact info if you find one!

I've got a buddy with a Piper at KSEE that has been going to Temecula.  Seems crazy.  Hate to repeat myself, but with all the great GA traffic and aircraft based at KSEE, please tell me there are shop(s).  Otherwise GA is really getting pushed out of San Diego by big money fliers.  You'd think the county could do something to incentivize more mechanics to set up shop and try to make a go of it even with the cost of hangars and insurance.  

13 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

I've got a buddy with a Piper at KSEE that has been going to Temecula.  Seems crazy.  Hate to repeat myself, but with all the great GA traffic and aircraft based at KSEE, please tell me there are shop(s).  Otherwise GA is really getting pushed out of San Diego by big money fliers.  You'd think the county could do something to incentivize more mechanics to set up shop and try to make a go of it even with the cost of hangars and insurance.  

There are a couple of shops at KSEE, but I guess there’s a reason they’re not being recommended (I have limited experience with one of them). I did talk to a couple of local independent A&Ps and it seems that insurance is the issue.  It’s not worth the risk exposure without the coverage, and the cost of the coverage renders it unprofitable.  It’s a bizarre situation, and the good shops are crazy busy as a consequence.

13 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

Expert Aircraft at French Valley (F70) has done work on my Mooney and I’ve been very impressed. Not an MSC (I think they’re a Beechcraft Service Center or something like that) but very good. I think he used to work on fighters so he’s not intimidated by our fast Mooneys. Did an awesome job on the baffle seals, too.

He did my baffles aswell. I was happy with him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BaldEagle said:

Same here re latter, would prefer to work with a local A&P. I was working with one but he's EXTREMELY unresponsive so I don't intend to use him again and can't recommend him.

I'll check in with the Coast Air folks at MYF. 

Edited by frcabot

23 hours ago, DCarlton said:

If you can't find a mechanic at KSEE, I'm even more concerned about GA's future in San Diego County.  GA shops and mechanics are few at CRQ and so many planes have been pushed out of MYF to KSEE.  KSEE seems it'll be the last bastion of GA in San Diego when jets take over the rest.   Maybe we can build a list somehow of folks willing to service Mooney's in the San Diego area.  Ramona might be another option.   

Tangent...  Any idea what Coast Air is charging for their 45X45' hangars at MYF?  

How have planes been pushed out of MYF to SEE? I was actually thinking of switching to MYF as it's much closer to my house than KSEE (I'm just north of Balboa Park).

4 hours ago, frcabot said:

How have planes been pushed out of MYF to SEE? I was actually thinking of switching to MYF as it's much closer to my house than KSEE (I'm just north of Balboa Park).

My buddy had a tie down at MYF for years.  First near Spiders at the West end then he was forced to move; I think it was a county tie down.  He then had a tie down where the old flight school or FBO closed (the one to the right by the front gate; don't remember the name).  I think Coast bought them out and built new hangars.  He was forced to move again during the construction.   I think a lot of people moved from MYF to SEE during the last shake up.  It was the same at Palomar for years; GA getting pushed around while new jet hangars were being built.  Now we have the North Ramp run by the county.  It's at about 50% capacity now.  I moved there the instant they opened; was tired of getting pushed around with the future being uncertain.  It's probably worth checking at MFY now.  I think Coast has hangars if you have deep pockets. With every new development, it seems the cost of admission gets higher.