Mooney M20E repaint

lithium366

Hey folks. 2 years ago I acquired a 1966 Mooney M20E and since then everyone on this forum was very helpful while I was accumulating knowledge but I didn't really get a good chance to contribute. Last year was challenging and I didn't meet many pilots in person. 

Some of you might know my airplane paint is far from perfect and I knew I will have to address it the same day. I was told that I need to fix surface corrosion ASAP and many folks recommended me Art-Craft Paint in Santa Maria. I partnered with them to make a series of videos about airplane repaint. I will use this thread to share my videos and you can get to know me and my airplane:

If you like the video and consider Art-Craft Paint for your paint needs please use this link to claim a discount: https://artcraftpaint.com

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MooneyMitch said:

Thank you for posting this.  How’s things progressing with your paint job? 

So far my experience is very positive. My videos delayed due to the fact that I have to process them but my airplane is already in the paint shop and I am finalizing design video. 

46 minutes ago, lithium366 said:

So far my experience is very positive. My videos delayed due to the fact that I have to process them but my airplane is already in the paint shop and I am finalizing design video. 

Tony is an extremely talented artist regarding layout and painting of aircraft!  Enjoy. :)

• Like 1

Looks like a fresh design.  Not something we see often.  Nice.  Not sure how the paint pros do it, but I'd consider trimming the plane for landing or takeoff before you paint.  That way, the lines across the tail will alway look right sitting on the ground.  I leave my plane parked in the takeoff position.  Not sure how other folks do it.  

BTW, your E is a shorter body than the plane they are using in the rendering.   It may change the look of the lines across the fuselage.  

Edited by DCarlton
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, DCarlton said:

Looks like a fresh design.  Not something we see often.  Nice.  Not sure how the paint pros do it, but I'd consider trimming the plane for landing or takeoff before you paint.  That way, the lines across the tail will alway look right sitting on the ground.  I leave my plane parked in the takeoff position.  Not sure how other folks do it.  

They seem to be very knowledgeable about Mooneys. Also I looked at some designs with straight lines across the body and they don't bend to the point it is noticeable when an airplane is trimmed. My bet is that they will trim it for the T/O while applying design

I was also told that there will be minor design adjustments when they will lay it out. As someone mentioned Tony, their lead painter is doing a great job at laying out the scheme

Just now, lithium366 said:

They seem to be very knowledgeable about Mooneys. Also I looked at some design with straight lines across the body and they don't bend to the point it is noticeable then airplane is trimmed. My bet is that they will trim it to the t/o position while applying design

I was also told that there will be minor design adjustments when they will lay it out. As someone mentioned Tony, their lead painter is doing a great job at laying out the scheme

I was very careful to trim my plane where I wanted it when I got it painted.  And if I don't leave it in that position, it's noticeable to me.  My lines are straight from tip to tail though.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCarlton said:

I was very careful to trim my plane where I wanted it when I got it painted.  And if I don't leave it in that position, it's noticeable to me.  My lines are straight from tip to tail though.  

Well, will see. There are at least 3 Mooneys here right now. More than any other make/model 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lithium366 said:

They seem to be very knowledgeable about Mooneys. Also I looked at some designs with straight lines across the body and they don't bend to the point it is noticeable when an airplane is trimmed. My bet is that they will trim it for the T/O while applying design

My Artcraft experience (3 Mooneys through the shop), I strongly suggest setting the trim yourself. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, lithium366 said:

was also told that there will be minor design adjustments when they will lay it out. As someone mentioned Tony, their lead painter is doing a great job at laying out the scheme

Correct, Tony is excellent!  However, I suggest you monitor layout to your liking in real time and in person.

Lots of activities in the shop with other projects going on simultaneously.  Your specific desires and specific  directions details can get lost.  Stay continually vigilant and stay persistent and your end product will be beautiful!

• Like 1