Need Part # for Ovation 2 Air Conditioning Compressor

PMcClure

A/C went out in my Ovation. AP has diagnosed a failed clutch and suggests replacing unit.   Mooney is out of stock but it looks like a stock compressor, except it is 24v.  Does anyone have a part number or information on where I could source this?

PS- it is very hot here in Alabama! 

I had to replace my compressor a couple of years ago and it’s just an aftermarket compressor used on several different aircraft. The compressor is a Sanden 505 24V and it’s cheap, I payed $235. Your lucky Mooney was out of stock they probably would’ve wanted around 3K. I believe you can buy it on eBay, I think mine was bought from a company in Las Vagas. 
Do yourself a favor and remove the A/C belt before your next flight because you’ll just contaminate your whole system if it isn’t contaminated already. I had to clean my system out. PM me if you’d like with your number if you have any questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for the help. This actually got a little more complicated than I expected. There are so many options on the compressors. But I believe the correct part number is Sanden SD5H09 5073. We have ordered (below link) and will confirm when it comes in if it is the correct part. 

https://www.acparts.com/product/new-original-sanden-compressor-5073/

Now trying to find a Receiver/Drier part number is  1134182-1  Environ. Look up points to a Cessna Citation part. 30 days plus lead-time. Any experts here know if we can use any close receiver drier or need to stay with this exact part?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Doug...hope all is well generally, the A/C notwithstanding.  I will look forward to hearing the results of this, as I live in fear for the day my A/C craps the bed especially now that I live down here in Florida.  I will look to you as my sage when the time comes!

Cheers,

Jeff

The A/C compressor that I removed from my Ovation was a Sanden 505 24V and that’s exactly what I replaced it with. I guess I should’ve taken a picture of the old compressor that I removed because the stamp on the case said Sanden 505 and that’s exactly the one I replaced it with, just have to make sure it’s 24V. The compressor on mine was a single pulley NOT a double pulley.

I will post this here for future reference:

https://www.sanden.com/productlibrary/manuals/SD_Service_Guide_Rev_2.pdf

I would not assume all years have the same model compressor, but this reference should help identify which one you have. My label was missing on the compressor. There are a lot of cheap knock off compressors out there on eBay and amazon.  I found one for $59 but decided to go with an OEM replacement.  Hopefully the next update will be of me enjoying a cool cabin. I don't know how the rest of you do it with no A/C!!

Update - the compressor looks like an exact fit and is installed. However, we have not been able to find a receiver dryer. 

Checking with Mooney - they are listed $1200 but waiting to see if they are in stock. I found one cross reference with Cessna Citation unit but listed as not available, check for back order. 

The old unit is labeled Environ Receiver dryer 770029-501   1134182-1  

I have not been able to find any info on the mfg or an alternate source. Any suggestions appreciated. 

18 hours ago, Mcstealth said:

Post a picture of the dryer please. 

Below   - we have looked for a alternative but have not found it. Must have fitting on the left side of the inlet due to how it is mounted. No reply from Mooney (price list shows $1200), I am not chasing them very hard. No reply from Enviro. Enviro's distributor sent us a par that would not work.  He was not very helpful to work with either (Gadberry Air Center). 

IMG_0671.jpeg

IMG_0672.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

IMG_0674.jpeg

18 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The local auto AC place I deal with Will disassemble one, clean it, replace the desiccant and weld it back together for a ridiculously low price. Like ~ $40  

I have a call into a local A/C shop that we know well to ask his opinion on reusing the old part and any other options. Care to share this contact? Looking at the part, the top does not look welded on, just sealed or press fit. 

It looks very underwhelming for Mooney to ask $1200. The part number cross- references with a Citation. Still no confirmed price or availability found. Enviro systems isn't your typical part supplier-  but this part is very generic. At this point (with only a few hot days left in 2021), I am determined to find a different solution than paying such a stupid price for such a simple part. 

If I could find a catalog like we did for the compressor, I am sure I could find a substitute replacement. But so far, it remains a mystery. 

9 minutes ago, PMcClure said:

I have a call into a local A/C shop that we know well to ask his opinion on reusing the old part and any other options. Care to share this contact? Looking at the part, the top does not look welded on, just sealed or press fit. 

https://aapak.com/

I have never worked on a Mooney air conditioning system. My experience is just with auto systems.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

They have all kinds. 

These guys claim to have the exact one:

https://aeroval.com/ref/379473/1134182-1/

Thank you- I have emailed them. According to the inter web, there are over 3200 of this part # available, but everyone I call says they don't have them. There are many universal types but the devil is in the details of thread size, port configuration, etc... When searching for a universal or alternate option, there are too many options to find exactly what we need. Let's hope Aeroval comes through.

Edited by PMcClure