Which part do I replace? (Static wick)

Derek

I finally did it. I backed up into a static wick. Fortunately it happened while briefing a passenger, so at least I got the l embarrassment over right away.

But, which part on here is the one I need to order? And then, from where?

It felt good to crack open the parts manual for the first time and figure out how to use it to find the right page. But, when I got there... "Now what?"

Thanks!

PXL_20210825_001213151.jpg

PXL_20210825_000621173.jpg

PXL_20210825_000632342.jpg

If you have the parts and the plastic broke, you can put superglue on the break and apply heat shrink tubing over it to hold it together.  It may not be as effective, but one repaired one won't make any difference and you can replace it later.

Skip

It's the one labeled "DD-1W" in the parts list.

I just bought some from Sky Geek. For an extra $5 each you can get them "certified". I bought some of each, they're the same part number, and as near as I can tell there's no difference at all. I dropped them all by accident, got them all jumbled up so I'm not sure which ones got installed on my airplane...:ph34r:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PT20J said:

Usually the black conductive plastic part breaks. However, I learned that they can also vibrate loose and disappear during flight, so I’ve tightened them and check them periodically. I got mine from LASAR.

Skip

Hmmm..... I wondered what that thing was that stuck in my front yard recently!! :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PJClark said:

It's the one labeled "DD-1W" in the parts list.

I just bought some from Sky Geek. For an extra $5 each you can get them "certified". I bought some of each, they're the same part number, and as near as I can tell there's no difference at all. I dropped them all by accident, got them all jumbled up so I'm not sure which ones got installed on my airplane...:ph34r:

Mooney used a couple of different types. The TCO DD-1W is available on Sky Geek but it doesn't match the OP's SPECMAT 10-900-60/1. Aviall sells the SPECMATs (but not retail) and LASAR was the only place I found that stocked them. Maybe someone else has a retail source.,

Skip

7 minutes ago, PT20J said:

Mooney used a couple of different types. The TCO DD-1W is available on Sky Geek but it doesn't match the OP's SPECMAT 10-900-60/1. Aviall sells the SPECMATs (but not retail) and LASAR was the only place I found that stocked them. Maybe someone else has a retail source.,

Skip

They seem to be hard to find at the moment.  My wife recently bought some from Aviall, but not enough for our needs.  Just another example of supply issues.

Clarence

• 2 years later...

Bringing this topic back to life because a tragic parking incident resulted in a broken base. My plane used the DD-1W wick and the TCO B-1 base. I’ve spoken directly to TCO and the B-1 bases are no longer available.

Has anyone else had to find an alternate and if so, what did you use?