Continental engine replacement problems

see_kay

I am writing about my recent experience with replacing my Continental TSIO-360  The original motor was running fine but was at TBO hours and had served for 35 years.

WIth planned use including IFR and night work, I was keen to have the feeling that I could rely on that engine up front...

So after weighing up the alternatives, and being dissuaded from field-overhauling the current motor due to its complexity, I decided on a 'zero-time' reman. unit from Continental, delivery expected in February - due to a 'crankshaft line supply problem' this was delayed to May 

Despite best efforts, I Still don't have my aircraft back. I have been told that (so far) the installer has found:
1) Overboard exhaust pipe assembly does not properly align with turbo and wastegate
2) Dip-stick does not fit in tube, cannot be used
3) Bendix magnetos installed (Slick were specified, for which I have the correct RPM sensors)

Continental quality control?  I am thinking that such a concept must be totally unfamiliar to them. Can this engine have been test run? - it certainly wasn't assembled fully.

Anyone else had similar problems?

• Sad 1

I too had a terrible time with Continental. I ordered a remanufactured TSIO360LB in early 2018. It was supposed to take around 6 weeks but instead took about 5 months and I finally got it around October. The delay was attributed to exhaust although a crank or cam may have also been cited, I can’t recall. When the engine arrived it was beautiful. After hanging it and breaking it in became clear the exhaust was really leaky. I had to use the warranty and order another set of parts for the passenger side of the engine. It’s still a bit leaky but “within spec” so I’m living with it. The customer service during the rebuild was terrible. Nobody knew anything about where the engine was or at what stage of the rebuild it was in. The poor agent I was speaking with most, seemed the most in the dark. Next time I think I’ll just do a field overhaul or use a local rebuilder. Thank goodness I have a really good shop here in Hillsboro - Northwest Aircraft. They bird-dogged most of it and took Comtinental to task on the delays etc. 

As to being test run, I’m sure Continental test ran the engine in a rest cell. After the test run they replaced one faulty cylinder and wrote it up in the engine log book.

Sorry you are going through the same thing. If you need help with exhaust or finding a welder, Dirk at Northwest Aircraft can probably help.

If it helps, it’s been nearly three years and almost 600 hours and the engine has performed really well . . . Knock on wood.

Ethan

There have been times…

Around here, where we have had good contact with the Continental factory…

When I was getting the factory reman’d engine for my bird, @Cris (RIP) was helpful with knowing who to ask which questions to…

I got to visit their factory about two years ago… got to see where the engine test cell is…

My IO550 took two weeks to complete… and two weeks to ship… and has been problem free for about nine years… 

It had about two hours of run time (iirc) before being mounted in my plane.  The break-in seems to be complete after about four hours of total run time…

Doing this from NJ… was sooo easy…

Getting the right contacts may be helpful to getting to the bottom of the challenge…

Best regards,

-a-

Supply issues are plaguing both Lycoming and Continental, many parts are back ordered at the moment.  It’s tough to keep your customers happy when you’re at the mercy of the manufacturers.

Clarence

The supply chain is totally broken. For instance I went to the grocery store yesterday, no Boars Head deli meats, no French's Mustard. Went to another Publix, same problems. Went to Kroger, same problems. I ordered a new coolant tank for my diesel truck, a custom unit made of 6061 aluminum because the plastic units keep cracking. No 6061 available. My garbage service, Waste Management (the biggest) dumped me! Because they can't get enough parts to keep their trucks running and and enough drivers. I live out a ways so they trimmed their routes. The reason why the VP of the United States is in Asia and most significantly Singapore is to review the supply chain issues (I'm not going to comment just point out supply chain issues have the administration's attention). Right now, I am starting to re-arrange my portfolio because I believe supply chain issues and a labor shortage will bring the world economy down.

1 hour ago, GeeBee said:

The supply chain is totally broken. For instance I went to the grocery store yesterday, no Boars Head deli meats, no French's Mustard. Went to another Publix, same problems. Went to Kroger, same problems. I ordered a new coolant tank for my diesel truck, a custom unit made of 6061 aluminum because the plastic units keep cracking. No 6061 available. My garbage service, Waste Management (the biggest) dumped me! Because they can't get enough parts to keep their trucks running and and enough drivers. I live out a ways so they trimmed their routes. The reason why the VP of the United States is in Asia and most significantly Singapore is to review the supply chain issues (I'm not going to comment just point out supply chain issues have the administration's attention). Right now, I am starting to re-arrange my portfolio because I believe supply chain issues and a labor shortage will bring the world economy down.

And don’t forget Pokémon cards. They’re extremely scarce right now leading to rationing and gunfights. Just think of the children…

https://www.fox6now.com/news/fight-over-trading-cards-outside-brookfield-target

I know about as much about picking stocks as I do about engine overhauls. How would you rearrange a portfolio to account for the supply chain and labor issues?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

And don’t forget Pokémon cards. They’re extremely scarce right now leading to rationing and gunfights. Just think of the children…

https://www.fox6now.com/news/fight-over-trading-cards-outside-brookfield-target

I know about as much about picking stocks as I do about engine overhauls. How would you rearrange a portfolio to account for the supply chain and labor issues?

Go long on Pokémon, short on Continental. 

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Move to cash, gold and crypto as well as financing debt. Be careful of debt, as the underlying collateral can evaporate. Believe it or not, one of the best investments is collectable  guns, but you got to know them.