practice emergency gear extensions

Welcome aboard Christopher…

Everybody gets to practice E-gear operations… at least once…

As a PP, doing it on the ground while on jacks seems to work at annual time….

Stand by for + and - for doing it in the air…

How it can get messed up if a detail gets omitted…

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…

Best regards,

-a-

Probably not with a back spring brass part (J and up)   F and below preferably on jack stands should be done each annual.  I would think you would want to know that it has been done on the ground first successfully. 

Know the system know where the floor indicator should be when down and locked.  

17 hours ago, Christopher Hope, CFI said:

instructors' thoughts on practicing emergency gear extensions

So in any airplane, there really shouldnt be any problem with practicing a gear extension. You'll need to follow the checklists as such provided by the manufactures but i know many a cfi who require any checkout flights, for insurance or clubs, a manual gear extension. It is a absolutely smart idea to also ask to practice this during the annuals of airplanes so you can see the whole system working possibly with mechanic there to answer questions too.

Aviation101 on youtube did a small series about mooney's and had a part with manual gear extensions. My only complaint is what appears to be the lack of a checklist.

...Or downgrade to the old johnson bar and never have to worry about the motor failing. 

• Like 1

When I picked up my bird in TX Maxwell specifically stated it really should only be used in an emergency. Do it once in a while for practice and once a year during annual and thats it. After he showed me the interface that the handle actually connects to the motor with I realized why he said that. Its very small, not the strongest, and is easy to strip out.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dzeleski said:

When I picked up my bird in TX Maxwell specifically stated it really should only be used in an emergency. Do it once in a while for practice and once a year during annual and thats it. After he showed me the interface that the handle actually connects to the motor with I realized why he said that. Its very small, not the strongest, and is easy to strip out.

Which is how OWT get created.   The e gear extension is very robust system.   If someone had actually been inside one they would know that the gears and parts are very well made.  

spline gear that is on the end of the rotating cable.

20170113_152723.jpg

Exploded view of the gears and parts inside the e gear that sits on back of the motor.

20170201_211821sm.jpg

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yetti said:

The e gear extension is very robust system.   If someone actually been inside one you would know that the gears and parts are very well made.  

spline gear that is on the end of the rotating cable.

Exploded view of the gears and parts inside the e gear that sits on back of the motor.

20170113_152723.jpg

20170201_211821sm.jpg

Is this from an F? The part that was shown to me was a very small brass keyed part that I believe engaged when the little slider is moved. Im just repeating what was told to me when I bought the airplane. After seeing it I have had zero desire to practice any extensions in the air.

1 hour ago, dzeleski said:

Is this from an F? The part that was shown to me was a very small brass keyed part that I believe engaged when the little slider is moved. Im just repeating what was told to me when I bought the airplane. After seeing it I have had zero desire to practice any extensions in the air.

The small brass part is part of the backspring and that is J and above.   See my prior comments for J and above.

Edited by Yetti

Modern Mooneys with manual e-extension have a brass gear… when used incorrectly it can give serious challenges…

Make sure the E-handle is locked down prior to flight…. :)

Let’s not get too excited about manual gear… when you lose that gear motor… it isn’t as easy to send out for OH…  :)

Imagine selling your manual Mooney because your shoulder isn’t working…

Best regards,

-a-

10 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Let’s not get too excited about manual gear… when you lose that gear motor… it isn’t as easy to send out for OH…  :)

Imagine selling your manual Mooney because your shoulder isn’t working…

We've seen tbat happen here, not long after purchase. Blew out his shoulder, had to sell then find an electric Mooney. If I remember correctly, he still complains . . . .

• Like 1

I have an F so it’s slightly different, but You really need to be 100% sure you know what you’re doing.  Never try to put up the gear with the emer system engaged.  Pull the gear cb prior to doing the extension.  My “Mooney cfi” had me do it on my checkout flight.  He knew about 75% of how it worked.  We got the gear down ok, but the emer system was still engaged when we put it up and it almost took off my left knee winding back up.  Not good for it!

Edited by Ragsf15e

I did experience one hiccup a few weeks ago during a emergency manual gear extension while on the jacks.  I cranked the gear down successfully with no issues. However, when I tried to raise the gear electrically (normally), I couldn't get it to come up even with pressure on the Pitot tube and airspeed safety switch.  I backed off on the manual gear handle a half turn or more, and then the gear raised successfully with the motor.  Never figured out what caused the hiccup.  I wondered if I hyper-extended the gear with the crank and caused it to bind.  Nothing but speculation.  Or maybe the breaker didn't reengage fully.  No problems afterwards.

Edited by DCarlton

Sorry to be repetitive but there is no reason to practice an emergency gear extension in the air.  Despite the name "emergency", this is not a true emergency and being proficient at it is not nearly worth the wear and tear on the system.  The name "backup gear extension" would be a better fit.

If you find that your gear isn't extending you'll have plenty of time to troubleshoot and carefully follow the instructions in your checklist.  If your fuel state or other external factors are causing you to rush this process, the "emergency" is being caused by another factor.

• Like 4

My checklist for my M20K 231 is:

Airspeed                                                <132KIAS

Landing Gear Actuator Breaker            Pull

Manual Gear Extension Mechanism     Latch Forward, Lever Back

Slowly Pull T 1-2 inches                        Should Engage Drive Shaft

T-Handle                                               Pull (12-20") and Return Until Gear is Down and Locked, Gear Down Light Illuminated

Visual Gear Down Indicator                  Check Alignment

Latch                                                     Re-secure

Landing Gear Actuator Breaker            Reset

There is CAUTION that once the manual gear system has been used, the system needs to be re-checked before using the electrical system. This would preclude doing an in-air check without going to the mechanic afterward.

When I do a checkout in any retractable gear airplane, we demonstrate the emergency extension system. I know of gear up accidents where the pilot did not understand the emergency gear extension procedure and did not do it correctly. With mechanical systems (like a Mooney) or hand pump hydraulic systems (like a Cardinal) the biggest risk is overextending and jamming the gear down. If you correctly follow the procedure, this won’t happen. If the system is properly rigged, which will be checked as part of a comprehensive annual inspection, using the emergency system in flight will not damage anything. That said, it’s an emergency system and it’s not really designed for frequent use. 

Skip

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PT20J said:

I know of gear up accidents where the pilot did not understand the emergency gear extension procedure and did not do it correctly.

This is the issue. Yes, the instructions are pretty straightforward. But reading the procedure is one thing. Doing it while maintaining aircraft control is another. Once should be enough. 

Reminds me...The Bonanza procedure is awful. A rotating crank behind the center armrest. You will rub your knuckles raw. Hate it! Glad I did it once though. Now I know to bring a glove when I fly one.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, midlifeflyer said:

The Bonanza procedure is awful. A rotating crank behind the center armrest.

I remember doing demonstration in a travel air and I want to say it was like 48 cranks to get the gear down. It worked, sure, but dam was it a pain.