Leg Pain after a few hours

FlyboyKC

After flying for about 1.5 to 2 hours I start getting pain in my right leg around the back thigh.

I thought reupholstering the seats would help. (it did a little bit) But I still get pain, I have even tried using a automotive seat pad. Again better but I still get uncomfortable pain after a few hours of flight. 

Anyone got any suggestions? 

Neal

There may be guidelines regarding circulation and sitting for long periods of time…

I remember something about this topic for people that sit in commercial jets… they get surprised by this…

Getting up and walking around may be the solution in that case….  :)

PP thoughts only, not a circulatory expert…

Best regards,

-a-

Your not alone, could be lower back issues, sciatica issues,Meraligia paraesthetica, or other types of parathesis, could be aggravating your thigh. Many times it could be in your buttocks, radiating to the front and/or back of your thigh kinda like a razor knife trying to get out from the inside. If it persists try a neurologist to check it out. I’m getting quotes to put new lumbar in my seats for same issues..good luck

I find with my 6'2" frame, if I don't roll the seat back after a about 2 hours and stretch I get a similar pain. I went and swapped the left with the right seat which helped a lot as the seat padding was a little more broken in. I can't say I have resolved the issue as I have not flown a long flight yet. I regret having my seats redone as I did not have this issue before having the seats redone.

Edited by AerostarDriver

I always take my wallet and cell phone out now, and put them in my flight bag. Noticed I had a sore butt often. That did it. As mentioned, there are multiple nerve-type issues this could be but what you need to watch out for is deep vein thrombosis, which Anthony touched on. I would go see my doctor.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jetrn said:

Do you fly with your wallet in your back pocket?  Sitting on the wallet puts pressure on the nerves and changes your posture while sitting.

I do fly with my wallet on the opposite side. I might try adding some lumbar support. Interestingly I don't have this issue in the car. I could drive for 8 hours with no issues. 

Flying on JAL it was interesting that halfway across the pond they would do flexing your hip and leg exercises while in your seat as everybody couldn’t get up to stand at once in the isle. And as corny as it looked and sounded being that wasn’t much else i was doing I participated in the exercise and was amazed how well it helped. 

Here's a little "trick".

Take your shoes off!  I started flying with my shoes off because I feel I land bet due to more direct tactile feel of the rudders.

But then I realized my feet with no shoes fit nicely between the pedals, and also, without a hard shoe should, that cocks your knee up I find my whole leg lies down more relaxed, less muscle tension and more straight forward into the foot well.  All in less/no leg tension or low back tension on a long flight.

Also, when I had my upholstery redone, I had them make my seat cushions a little longer than original with just more foam so the base of my seats are longer, and also the front part of the seat built up a bit, all to help support my long thighs.  That too takes some muscle tension off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danb said:

Erik who did your seats for you and were you pleased with the craftsmanship 

Scs interiors in Duluth Minnesota / 4 years on I still think it’s new.  Love it.

Bruce Jaeger recommended them when he did his interiors treatment which I had done while in Wilmer for tank reseal.  

The details I described were my idea but they executed brilliantly!  Their costs were very very competitive. I also recommend the perforated leather treatment and I got a pronounced lumbar foam in it too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, amillet said:

I bought three sheets of Conforfoam from Wicks Aircraft Supply ( soft, medium and dense) and had local upholsterer install in seat cushions 

2999CAD2-AC7E-472E-8E5C-620F3DCCB103.jpeg

Alan dumb question what order is the foam installed did you reuse your upholstery or get new stuff

15 hours ago, 201er said:

Try flying over 6 hours. By then you can’t feel nothing anywhere!

I used to be able to fly 5/6 hrs also on crummy weird Stinson seats...not any more...now i get antsy at 3 plus hours...rolling the seat full back,swinging a leg or two to the copilots side....a big help

Compression socks helps a little. Slip on shoes do as well. A bit issue for me was having my wallet and a mask in my back pockets. After removing those that helped as well. 52Q is now 22 years old and the main pilots seat is starting to feel pretty flat. I couldn't imagine stock foam from a +5 decade old mooney. I've been thinking if its worthwhile spending 2 or 3 grand just having the pilot seat updated with some new foam and leather. Just send it to aero comfort or aviation design and have the seat custom molded for you. It is pricey, but I'd bet that would make the biggest difference.

Trust me, it’s Oregon Aero that’s done bunches of testing and is what you will find stock in Gulfstream’s and most Military aircraft etc.

My Maules seats were horrific, little to no thought was put into the seats, there is just so much work to do in getting a aircraft design to operate they way you want, things like seats just fall under the what’s important line.

Oregon Aero transformed my torture devices into comfortable seats that I could tolerate for hours.