Tubes and valve stems

So some of you may know that with some exceptions I have an open checkbook policy when it comes to mx on my plane.  

Why is it that a mooney service center and also someone who is considered a mooney guru in florida cannot spend my money correctly.

I have asked countless times over the years for the best tubes with angled valve stems.  I do not care if I have to change the wheels or what it will cost and yet I cannot get the stems to match or to be like what I want.

I hate that I have to use a pri bar to fill my nose and left main.  whey cant they be angled like my right main to make it so much easier,,,especially if I am will to pay.  Is it beyond intellect?  or just does not exist in 2021?

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 12.41.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 12.41.19 PM.png

What do you mean no shop has the ability to do it? No shop has the ability to install tubes?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/leakguard_06-00755.php

Your shop A&P doesn't know how to install this tube to your wheel? It do they not know how to order a tube? This isn't rocket surgery.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ShuRugal said:

What do you mean no shop has the ability to do it? No shop has the ability to install tubes?

I do not think a shop exists that knows how to give me proper tubes even if it takes new wheels...not even a MSC...:(

Me: please install some sort of an airstop tube with angle valve stems that make it easy to service air. I will pay for new wheels if it cant be done with the current ones.

Them:  Sorry we could not get you the tubes you want. We did put other tubes on and will charge you dearly for them and you will have to live with your issue for many more years.  by the way pay us a lot of money....thank you.....

• Like 1

Sounds like you need to have a talk with the shop which performed the work about failing to perform the services you contracted them to perform.

Did you get a work order/statement of work before they started? I don't let a shop touch my plane unless I have on paper the expectation of work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Changing wheels and tubes and tires falls under Preventive Maintenance, so any owner can do that work themselves.   If this is really annoying you, it might be worth just learning how to do it.   Lots of people have experience in this area and can show you how if you haven't before.

It could be that the shop just doesn’t know what to do when a Mooney owner comes in and says “I don’t have a budget for this job”.  It can be taken two ways, I can’t afford to do this job, or I don’t care what it costs.

Clarence

3 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Me: please install some sort of an airstop tube with angle valve stems that make it easy to service air. I will pay for new wheels if it cant be done with the current ones.

Them:  Sorry we could not get you the tubes you want.

could it be that you are too specific on what you want? Is it that there isnt an AirStop angle stem in the size you need?. Order the tubes yourself and either install them or have them installed

I want one like this…. For my (Left or Right) wheel…

image.png.06e2c690e5f55119ac3496ad22e37da0.png

Sounds like you are talking to a four year old…  but in fact, it is how some engineers cover project details with their mechanics….   The mechanics know the details better than the engineer.  A good engineer gets his ideas across to the good mechanic any way he can…

Only you know what you want…  the mechanic gave a mechanically proper solution….

There is only one way to satisfy this owner…  know exactly what he wants…

More communication 101 than anything else… :)

Best regards,

-a-

Order these yourself and tell the shop to install them.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/aero_06-03303.php

They won’t like that they won’t get a markup on the part, but they’ll be glad they made you happy.  And they’ll probably make a note of the part number for when their next customer who has similar wheels.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

I think telling them that I am willing to spend what it takes to service the air easily should be enough. But I guess it’s not. Do I really have to speak to them like they are 4 years old?

For whatever reason your request is being ignored, your getting the standard tube that everyone gets, their default, probably stock it as a 6” tube is awfully common. Any A&P knows about 90 degree valve stems. Straight stems are the default I believe because bent ones won’t work with hubcaps, and can hit the wheel well. My Father’s C model years ago we would hear a snap, snap a few times when the wheels were retracted, it was the stems hitting something on the airframe, this was before headphones.

You see this kind of thing often at auto dealers when you only get to talk to a service writer and not the mechanic, so my assumption is this isn’t a one person operation and who you talked to isn’t the one performing the work?

If not then your being ignored, best go elsewhere, and give them a written work order. As a mechanic I’d prefer a written work order / request whatever, that gives me a checklist to ensure I addressed every concern the customer wanted checked, makes life easier for me.

If someone is offended, go elsewhere

• Like 1

I mentioned this many years ago here on MS

There "were", at one time, both long and short valve stems for airplane tubes (not counting the angles stems). On our Mooneys the long stem ones (the only ones available now) will hit the wheel hub and put a bind on the stem. This causes the stem to stretch on one side and fail with cracks quite regularly due to heat and ozone. They fail right inside the stem hole. AND the are a bitch to check pressure with. The short stems didn't have this problem but are no longer manufactured         I haven't been able to find any in decades.

Angled stem tubes may not be available in an "Airstop" design Michelin may not make them I haven't researched this item. Also the design specs "may" show different tire sizes for the tubes' in question "angled stem" and the A&P is only ordering what the tire size calls for. (6.00X6 tire takes this so and so tube.)               IIRC an 8.00X6 angled stem tube fits a 6.00X6 tire quite well and runs for the life of the tire. IIRC  Do your own research on this. There may not be an angle stem tube charted for a 6.00X6 tire. 

If the valve stem whacks the wheel well upon retraction? I always tap the brakes before I retract the wheels to stop the rotation. Old habit from DC3 days I was taught that way back then. 

18 hours ago, Andy95W said:

Order these yourself and tell the shop to install them.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/aero_06-03303.php

They won’t like that they won’t get a markup on the part, but they’ll be glad they made you happy.  And they’ll probably make a note of the part number for when their next customer who has similar wheels.

My mechanic has never had a problem with me sourcing stuff myself.  If anything, he said it's less stressful and saves him time since he doesn't have to worry about getting something I didn't want.  He did mention for big-ticket items to talk to him first in case he can get a better price.

• Like 1