Wanted: Doorway lower angle

28 minutes ago, flyingchump said:

It's a bent piece of aluminum...  Make it yourself.

I am more of an electronic / software kind of guy. I never worked with metal and without proper tools ppl probably end up with something that will be not straight cut/bent. Also I am not sure it is aluminum, in my friend’s airplane it feels more like stainless steel

Edited by lithium366

That is the threshold.  It is more than just a bent piece of metal since it is not only "L" shape in cross section, but also is has a radius on one end.  It is a formed part which you would have a hard time making.  The side of the "L" that is inside the airplane will need to be stretched as it is on the outside edge of the radius to be formed.  (If it were in the inside of the bend, you could use shrinking/forming pliers but that is not the case).  You best find one already made.

John Breda

• Like 2

On 8/22/2021 at 3:48 AM, M20F-1968 said:

No, you would not want to do that.  Dissimilar metals in a potentially wet environment will give rise to corrosion.

John Breda

John, aren’t you have dissimilar metals everywhere your airplane already (example: access panel screws, camlocks)?

I think this is the piece you are referring to, mine is just a 90* bent piece of metal, looks like something they sell at Lowe’s or HD. Came with the plane, there’s a smaller one mounted in the baggage door too. I took them off when updating the side panels, I think it may have even had a barcode sticker on the backside.

FAEE0945-3B1E-4F10-9A36-CC76DCC549AF.jpeg

Edited by Bryan G
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, lithium366 said:

John, aren’t you have dissimilar metals everywhere your airplane already (example: access panel screws, camlocks)?

In some places yes, and it becomes a problem when there is moisture, as would be expected in the area of the door threshold.  Stainless steel PK screws which are widely used can cause intergranular corrosion in the area of the screw when the screw and aluminum it is screwed into gets wet.  These are real issues  and dissimilar metals need to be avoided when possible.

Fortunately…. When we use SS hardware… what it screws into… the receiver or speed nut or whatever those two parts are called…. Are also some form of steel…. 

Check what holds them in place… rivets or spring clips… and see what separates them from the contact with the aluminum…

Lots of coatings need to be in good condition and in place to keep the SS from contacting the AL…

If you see paint fall apart under a steel screw… fix the paint before replacing the screw…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-