Exterior Avionics Panels

1967 M20F

This is my 6th ground up Hobby restoration project over a 45 year span. BUT First MOONEY!!!

Need suggestions on the best method to seal the exterior avionics panels. The previous owner/shops used 1/16 thick cork tape, but they leak.

Thanks

Ballard Jones

A&P I/A

I use a self adhesive EPDM weather stripping.  Yes, I can imagine the cork has little pliability or sealing ability. 

M-D Building Products All - Climate EPDM Rubber Weatherstrip P - Profile

Blain # 039266 | Mfr # 02576
Today's Price
$599

available just about anywhere.  Will depend on how the aluminum panel fits as to how much of the sealing bulb you might need to trim.  My alumn. panel cover is a "stretch to fit" so I trimmed away the bulb to fit.

0811211655[1].jpg

For the 67 F: Originally there is a gummed canvas under the sheets of windshield bay, it is a cotton canvas coated with vinyl treated non-fire (M1), in fact it is a canvas as for the convertible car. This canvas was dark green on mine. Between the canvas and the fuselage structure, there is a flat butyl seal that allows multiple installation and removal. On the sheets of windshield bay, a sound-absorbing material is glued, it is sandwiched between the sheets and the waterproofing canvas. This canvas is not mentioned on the parts manual, just the sound absorbers are included.

20200313_184437.jpg

This.^^^^   I flew the remnants of TS Delta last year.  No effect on the avionics.

Note: the search function on Mooneyspace is.... lackluster, unless you are trained in Boolean operators and logic.

Google is your friend:  type:  "flying through rain site:mooneyspace.com" into google.  Or "sealing instrument bay site:mooneyspace.com" and you'll find lots of stuff.   Most questions you will have for Mooneyspace have been answered over-and-over again.   Study them and you'll find stuff that works.

Good luck.

image.thumb.jpeg.cbf8d14329c776a975beca3d850194e9.jpeg
this is the stuff I’ve used (was recommended here on MS along with several A&P IA’s) with good results, it’s messy but works. What ever you use look closely at the flange on the airframe, there is a channel for water and there is weep hole on the panels for drainage, these should be free so any water that gets in can drain out 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, apriav said:

201 windshield fixed my panels, a bit pricey but I think worth it. Speed, noise reduction, added visibility, and looks.

In my opinion, giving up the maintenance access just isn't worth the cool look.  Everything then has to be done from under the panel.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RLCarter said:

image.thumb.jpeg.cbf8d14329c776a975beca3d850194e9.jpeg
this is the stuff I’ve used (was recommended here on MS along with several A&P IA’s) with good results, it’s messy but works. What ever you use look closely at the flange on the airframe, there is a channel for water and there is weep hole on the panels for drainage, these should be free so any water that gets in can drain out 

WP_20200209_11_01_22_Pro_LI (2).jpg

20200326_170959-2 (2).jpg