M20E Vacuum removal question. Bad to remove step?

Been in the process of upgrading and removing/changing a lot of things from the airplane. One of the things I'm eager to remove is the vacuum system. I'm not worried about the PC system as there will be a GFC500 AP going in here soon. The step however is a different matter.

Now I am aware there is the electric conversion, which I will do in time, but for right now I plan on just pulling the step up and securing it in that position. I will most likely remove the actual pump as well. Is there any downside, aside from not having that step, in doing this? I personally cant think of any.

4 hours ago, JWJR said:

I may be interested in some or all of the parts from your PC system. Once it is removed and assuming you do want to sell please email me at. jinwinnierj@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill keep you first on my list then, since you're the first to ask. I honestly dont know a whole lot about the PC system, just a very basic it works with the TC to try and keep the wings level type thing. I am assuming this is part of the system? I know the TC on my plane does not have the left/right roll that ive seen on others, but im unsure if that makes a difference. 

image.png.e4e4565fd08fc2fa82757a3c119b573f.png

38 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

There is an awesome electric replacement for the step retraction system available see: www.flightenhancements.com

Yep thats the one i was looking at, but after spending the money i have, saving a bit right now and not having a step is worth it. Im tall enough that i dont need the step.

37 minutes ago, apriav said:

Don't have a step and don't miss it.

Did you remove it completely or just tie it up? 

4 minutes ago, Mooney Dog said:

Ill keep you first on my list then, since you're the first to ask. I honestly dont know a whole lot about the PC system, just a very basic it works with the TC to try and keep the wings level type thing. I am assuming this is part of the system? I know the TC on my plane does not have the left/right roll that ive seen on others, but im unsure if that makes a difference. 

image.png.e4e4565fd08fc2fa82757a3c119b573f.png

Yep thats the one i was looking at, but after spending the money i have, saving a bit right now and not having a step is worth it. Im tall enough that i dont need the step.

Did you remove it completely or just tie it up? 

It was removed when I purchased the aircraft. 

Has a one piece belly, that may have something to do with the removal.

8 hours ago, Mooney Dog said:

I honestly dont know a whole lot about the PC system, just a very basic it works with the TC to try and keep the wings level type thing. I am assuming this is part of the system? I know the TC on my plane does not have the left/right roll that ive seen on others, but im unsure if that makes a difference.

A correctly operating PC system is an amazing stability enhancer.   Not only does it keep the wings level, when connected to other Brittain controls it will follow a magenta line all day.  I fly IFR with my system.  It's like flying on rails.  I'd never remove it unless somebody gave me $20k for a full 3-axis autopilot.

15 hours ago, McMooney said:

Replaced my step with this, less weight and more uses.  folds for convenient storage

,20210305_111206.thumb.jpg.4f58198d9071a9076aeba3d6eae72511.jpg

Well howdy neighbor. Does Mark still work at the tower over there? Also i love the string to pull it up afterwards. 

7 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

unless somebody gave me $20k for a full 3-axis autopilot.

How about 10k for a 2 axis digital? 

1 hour ago, Mooney Dog said:

Well howdy neighbor. Does Mark still work at the tower over there? Also i love the string to pull it up afterwards. 

How about 10k for a 2 axis digital? 

I'm not sure, really don't know much about what's going on since the pandemic started.

do you have a hangar at khou ?  man that would be cool as hell, who do i talk to?

My brittain tracks magenta, and vors, even does approaches.  If it had altitude hold i wouldn't think of replacing it.  that being said,  gfc500 or trutrak (yeah i know but i'm still about 6 mos out ) is next on my upgrade list.

10 minutes ago, McMooney said:

My brittain tracks magenta, and vors, even does approaches.  If it had altitude hold i wouldn't think of replacing it.  that being said,  gfc500 or trutrak (yeah i know but i'm still about 6 mos out ) is next on my upgrade list.

We affectionately call our Brittain altitude hold "The Shizzle" 'cause it is.  Makes flying long distance so much easier, especially IFR.   Too bad the pitch control/altitude hold units are almost impossible to find.  Come on Brittain!  Come back into being!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, McMooney said:

do you have a hangar at khou

You dont wanna pay the price, trust me. Plane is actually 4 miles sound at LVJ, I just work out of HOU most the time. Hobby is supper GA friendly though, and if you havnt taken the time, you should call the museum and tell them you wanna stop by. They will let you park you plane right outside. Go somewhat late (past 9) at night and they'll let you buzz around the pattern a while too. 

1 hour ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Starting with a working PC system, the Brittain experts on this site got me set up with 3-axis, Apollo-era technology for less than half that amount, including A&P/IA time.    It has rate-of-climb control too. :D

Hmmm okay, color me interested. 

14 minutes ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Too bad the pitch control/altitude hold units are almost impossible to find. 

Aaaaaaaaaand NVM. Oh well. The GFC500 is still a great ap. 

1 hour ago, Mooney Dog said:

Hmmm okay, color me interested. 

Aaaaaaaaaand NVM. Oh well. The GFC500 is still a great ap. 

So, it takes patience.  Working on the theory that time=$, you can go either way.   I kept an eye on MS for two+ years before a kind MS member offered up the entire altitude hold system that they had collected but not installed.   After buying it, I got help from another super kind MS member who helped make sure it was working.   The systems are out there.  They just don't appear very often.   There are a few of us here on MS that have them and support each other as we can.

• Like 2

I have most of a recently removed B5 system available or will break it up and sell most of a working altitude hold system.  I purchased it for the spare alt hold servos, which are the only parts I want at this point.  So, for those who either have the servos, or are willing to find them, this is available.  PM me if interested.  I will eventually get a round to posting it with pictures.  OTreeLemur knows that half the fun is hunting for the parts.  Once pieced together and tuned, these are fantastic systems.

33 minutes ago, takair said:

I have most of a recently removed B5 system available or will break it up and sell most of a working altitude hold system.  I purchased it for the spare alt hold servos, which are the only parts I want at this point.  So, for those who either have the servos, or are willing to find them, this is available.  PM me if interested.  I will eventually get a round to posting it with pictures.  OTreeLemur knows that half the fun is hunting for the parts.  Once pieced together and tuned, these are fantastic systems.

I thank you for the offer but i will pass. The removal of the vacuum system was something that i wanted to do in getting an all glass display so it just doesnt make much sense for me to keep the PC system. thank you though. 

• Like 1