ADSB IN - Device upgrade

FastTex

I have a STRATUX and planning to upgrade to the Levil Astro because it makes easier to transfer flight plans to multiple devices (specifically the iFly740B I have been using for years). I will sell the STRAUX (which works perfectly) for about $100. Now, here is the question:

BOM https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/levil11-15311.php

or ASTRO https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/astro_11-17222.php ?

$1900 or $600? Do I really need a backup system adding drag or just a little box inside the cockpit?

Thoughts?

Thanks guys. I already do what @LANCECASPER suggested (yes, I have the 330ES). The issue I have is related to sharing plans between the iPad mini and the iFly 740B. The STRATUX, while working perfectly as ADSB in, doesn't behave properly (kind of freezes) when attempting to share the plans. I use iFlightplanner and iFly GPS and, according to iFly the Astro does what I want with no issues. Will the Sky radar do the same? Or will I have the same problem I have with the STRATUX?

34 minutes ago, FastTex said:

Thanks guys. I already do what @LANCECASPER suggested (yes, I have the 330ES). The issue I have is related to sharing plans between the iPad mini and the iFly 740B. The STRATUX, while working perfectly as ADSB in, doesn't behave properly (kind of freezes) when attempting to share the plans. I use iFlightplanner and iFly GPS and, according to iFly the Astro does what I want with no issues. Will the Sky radar do the same? Or will I have the same problem I have with the STRATUX?

I am not sure if I understand what "sharing plans" plans means. If it means that the SkyRadar can be connected to multiple devices the answer is yes.   

L1100630.JPG

3 hours ago, Schinderhannes said:

I am not sure if I understand what "sharing plans" plans means. If it means that the SkyRadar can be connected to multiple devices the answer is yes.   

L1100630.JPG

Yes, that's what I meant. The Stratux also allows multiple connected devices, but...as I explained in my opening post, it freezes not allowing the flight plans sharing without a reboot. My goal is to plan flights home in my iPad (either using iFlightPlanner or iFly, I have both subscriptions) then go in the cockpit and send the plans to the iFly while manually entering them in the 430W (there might be news coming soon from iFly about this connectivity...). iFly says the Astro works perfectly with what I want to do. While I would like to save a few hundreds bucks, I would hate to buy the SkyRadar to have the same Stratux issue. Hope it makes sense.

15 hours ago, carusoam said:

The bom is interesting…. But I don’t think anyone is using it on their Mooney yet….

Its been a while…

Maybe something has changed…

Mooniacs don’t like drag penalties when they can be avoided…

-a-

Completely agree, I thought the same. I think I will just focus on the ADSB-IN device for now. No BOM!

• Like 1