S-TEC 55x Pressure Transducer in G1000 Installation

Jeff_S

Hey folks.  Still tracking down an annoying issue where my Flight Director goes schizoid when I engage ALT mode. I've always suspected this is something in the static line that is giving the pressure transducer for the 55x erroneous readings.  Sometimes when I engage alt-static this improves the performance, but sometimes not. Working with Savvy and S-TEC, they concur with my analysis, but S-TEC has no idea where the pressure transducer was mounted in these configs.  I've sent a note to Mooney support, but thought I'd open this up to the knowledgeable crowd here.  I would like to have a good idea about this before giving S-TEC's testing instructions to my shop, to avoid spending money having them hunt around for it. Thanks!

I'm going to post this in the Modern Mooney forum as well to cover my bases.

Jeff

When getting these erroneous readings did you notice anything going on with your altimeter or VSI (static system problem)? I’ve had to send my S-TEC 55X autopilot back to them and was happy with the work they performed but it was not for the same problem your having. I believe the factory will also install any upgrades that may have come out since original.

Hey folks.  Still tracking down an annoying issue where my Flight Director goes schizoid when I engage ALT mode. I've always suspected this is something in the static line that is giving the pressure transducer for the 55x erroneous readings.  Sometimes when I engage alt-static this improves the performance, but sometimes not. Working with Savvy and S-TEC, they concur with my analysis, but S-TEC has no idea where the pressure transducer was mounted in these configs.  I've sent a note to Mooney support, but thought I'd open this up to the knowledgeable crowd here.  I would like to have a good idea about this before giving S-TEC's testing instructions to my shop, to avoid spending money having them hunt around for it. Thanks!
Jeff

It is going to be mounted on a static line under the panel. I would try following those lines. The ones I have seen are all blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4 hours ago, Jeff_S said:

Jeff

I can guide you right thru this, I have seen and corrected all kinds of alt issues with the 55X.

Get me some pictures of the outside of your aircraft, often there were dedicated static ports we had to install.

There are gold aluminum transducers as well.

email the pictures to bobweber@webairconsulting.com

• 2 years later...
On 8/14/2021 at 3:59 PM, Bob Weber said:

I can guide you right thru this, I have seen and corrected all kinds of alt issues with the 55X.

Get me some pictures of the outside of your aircraft, often there were dedicated static ports we had to install.

There are gold aluminum transducers as well.

email the pictures to bobweber@webairconsulting.com

It is going to be mounted on a static line under the panel. I would try following those lines. The ones I have seen are all blue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The original version is a blue plastic, the upgraded version is metal and can be rebuilt.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk