How to straighten an aluminum sheet?

Folks I have a narrow piece of aluminum in between 2 avionics access panel covers and it is quite hilly due to previous repairs, maybe bolts were over tighten. Trying to figure out how to make it straight? Thinking of some sort of rollers but maybe there are better ideas?

Got a pic?

It may be easier to replace…

Finding an EAA sheet metal guy may be a good idea…

Could be as simple as finding a high school metal shop…

Auto Body shops are pretty good with sheet metal as well…

Is it sheet metal, or a different shape?

PP ideas that come to mind… not a sheet metal guy…

Best regards,

-a-

24 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Got a pic?

It may be easier to replace…

Finding an EAA sheet metal guy may be a good idea…

Could be as simple as finding a high school metal shop…

Auto Body shops are pretty good with sheet metal as well…

Is it sheet metal, or a different shape?

PP ideas that come to mind… not a sheet metal guy…

Best regards,

-a-

I am away from my airplane for a while and can’t make a picture but is is part number 310117-501 (#17 on the pic). It is a thin piece of sheet metal between parts #15 and #16

373052C0-3558-473F-8517-A5EA76FC56BA.png

Edited by lithium366

5 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

If it’s the one centered just in front of the windscreen… just make a new one, the edges have a slight bend so it fits tight against the other panels, running it through a roller would flatten the edges 

Yep it is that one. I was in hope that I can just fix that with some rollers but probably easier just to get a new one

• Like 1

My M20C had an antenna hole in that piece…

A leftover ancient antenna from some piece of avionics that was no longer there…

Duplicating that piece including the bends and screw holes is as easy as it gets for a sheet metal guy…

When you get a chance…. Post a pic.   And see if Alan has a better one than what you have….

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lithium366 said:

Folks I have a narrow piece of aluminum in between 2 avionics access panel covers and it is quite hilly due to previous repairs, maybe bolts were over tighten. Trying to figure out how to make it straight? Thinking of some sort of rollers but maybe there are better ideas?

It's pretty easy.  Just order a new piece of aluminum sheet and make a new one :)

Seriously, it's pretty much impossible to smooth a piece of aluminum sheet.  Every bend and divot stretches it out, and you can't unstretch aluminum.  You might get okay with a ball peen hammer and some pieces of wood, but in all honesty, the effort in doing so ends up being similar to making a new one.

Edited by jaylw314
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, apriav said:

You are going to have to paint after fixing your problem, have you thought of just some filler and paint?

It’s way too bent for the filler. As for the paint - airplane goes to the paint shop soon anyways

3 hours ago, lithium366 said:

It’s way too bent for the filler. As for the paint - airplane goes to the paint shop soon anyways

Like @M20Doc says, easy project. You’ll spend way less time making a new one vs getting the existing one back in shape, especially if the old one has any creases. Chances are if it’s bent up real bad it will end up cracking working the ugly out