2007 Acclaim Type S - Fair Market Value?

krb5137

Hi everyone.  I am new to the group.  I'm in the market for my first Mooney and am hunting for an Acclaim Type S.  I found an example for sale that has only ~1000 on the Hobbs, along with A/C option, oxygen and (seemingly) original G1000/G700.  No stories, no damage.  

Can someone offer thoughts on fair market value for a good to quite good condition example?  I just want to make sure I'm in the right ballpark.

I very much hope to be a permanent part of this community.  Really excited about the prospect.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Expanding on Art’s post….it depends.

with G1000/GC700 A/P, air, and I would assume ADS-B maybe low $400s and more towards mid with the WAAS upgrade as it is currently $30k to install

thats what I’ve seen anyway.  What you want to look at before going to a full prebuy on a 1000 hour Acclaim is how many cylinders have been overhauled or exhanged already (they wilL not make TBO no matter how gentle you are, and most people aren’t that gentle), make sure mags have been OH’d twice now at 500 hours each, and check log for turbo because at 1000 hours it’s either been overhauled or is fixing to be …

Great ride, though.  Love mine.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, krb5137 said:

Hi everyone.  I am new to the group.  I'm in the market for my first Mooney and am hunting for an Acclaim Type S.  I found an example for sale that has only ~1000 on the Hobbs, along with A/C option, oxygen and (seemingly) original G1000/G700.  No stories, no damage.  

Can someone offer thoughts on fair market value for a good to quite good condition example?  I just want to make sure I'm in the right ballpark.

I very much hope to be a permanent part of this community.  Really excited about the prospect.

What year is the airplane?

Welcome aboard krb!

The type S was the top of the line… just prior to the Ultras….

Since we are discussing plane pricing in another thread….

There are two pretty good resources similar to a blue book….

The MooneyFlyer has a price calculator in it…. I have no idea if it includes Acclaims…

Jimmy at GMax is the expert on Mooney aircraft evaluations…. Which would be a tough resource to use if you are buying the plane through him… :)

Interesting…. This may be a case where a plane sells for more than its initial price….   An inflation challenge… combined with so few ever made…

Go Acclaim!

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy…

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, Hank said:

The thread title says "2007 Acclaim Type S" . . . .

Crap…thanks.  I guess I had a long day…

For @krb5137, with what you indicated it had installed (without TKS), I’d expect $360k - $370k would be what I’d expect to pay for a clean example.  This assumes GFC700, WAAS with VNAV (GDU1044 displays), and Synthetic Vision.  Without SynVis, deduct $10k.  Without the 1044 displays/VNAV option, deduct another $25k roughly.

Check with Jimmy at GMax Aviation, tho, who could fine-tune these estimates a bit.

• Thanks 1

If this is N688MD, I have trained a couple of the previous owners of this plane, it also was owned by a list member who wanted to buy it back after it was sold. This is a well cared for plane owned currently by a stand up guy. It would be on the top of a very short list of planes i would own.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A similar, non-Type S plane I’m familiar with…. FIKI, AC, WAAS  - recently transacted at $435,000 I’m told.

I immediately upped my hull value.

this was a $350,000 plane a year ago.

Vref and Bluebook are lagging, incomplete indicators. I don’t mean to be flippant, but “fair market value” is a wide, high range and a toxic intersection of a game of Chicken and the Fear of Missing Out.

-dan

• Like 3

4 hours ago, exM20K said:

A similar, non-Type S plane I’m familiar with…. FIKI, AC, WAAS  - recently transacted at $435,000 I’m told.

I immediately upped my hull value.

this was a $350,000 plane a year ago.

Vref and Bluebook are lagging, incomplete indicators. I don’t mean to be flippant, but “fair market value” is a wide, high range and a toxic intersection of a game of Chicken and the Fear of Missing Out.

-dan

FIKI and AC?

On 8/11/2021 at 7:25 PM, krb5137 said:

The tach on g1000 is the only credible time meter on these planes. Many have the Hobbs removed, disabled or just ignored. I haven’t seen all of them, but I’ve seen at least 30, and not one of them was correct. 
2006 and 2007 were odd years for the acclaim. The appointments  vary more than most years. Some came with Waas, some came with gfc700, some came with all type s mods, some with only one. There were many incentives right after owners accepted delivery to upgrade, both avionics and performance so they all did it to their personal desires. 
I have met many owners think they have things they don’t because they saw another of the same year advertised with options they assume they have as well.
If you have a CD player, then the aircraft was retrofitted for the gfc700, and was originally delivered with an stec-55. 
I have seen several acclaims represented as “Type S”, yet only had an s prop. 
I’ve seen several represent them as Waas capable because a Waas antenna was added for their ADSB transponder, I tried to explain to one owner and broker who refused to believe that they needed the gia63’s changed to gia63w’s...

I do not agree with the other poster stating that cylinders will go every 500 hours. 
There was absolutely an exhaust coking issue that caused some early failures but that was soon identified and corrected.  One of my acclaims was well beyond 1000 hours on a set of cylinders with good compressions when I sold it, and is still flying on them. Knowing how to treat those engines will make a difference.  That being said, it will still likely need at least one set to make the tbo of 2200 hours. 
knowing how the plane is actually appointed via the logs.  Understanding how the previous owner has flown the plane, a good prebuy, bore scope, and of course condition, are the only way to establish actual value. There are just too many derivations and options to compare in those years to answer conclusively without knowing the plane. 
I would say for a mid time engine, with no top done, the range (today)would be from 325-400.

It may seem like a large range but really depends on all the above. 
2008 and on seemed to come with almost everything standard except for a/c or fiki, and all of the 2009 and most of the 2008 had the exhaust coking issue fixed when it left the factory. 

I have owned three, one of which was an ultra, and I loved them all. Don’t believe all the hangar talk about turbos being nightmares. They are absolutely another component to manage and maintain. But in the grand scheme of ownership it hasn’t been more than a ripple, and the capability and performance is well worth it if your mission supports its use. 
if you are flying under 100 miles 90% of the time in south florida you don’t “need” it, but it’s still fun to have another 30knts at your fingertip. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

FIKI and AC?

Yep, I looked at that one very closely, a very nice Dr in Chicago. The plane was immaculate and very well maintained. My challenge was the UL was somewhere around 780#

if I remember correctly it also had long range tanks. 
this meant a single pilot could not legally fill the tanks.
I was optimistically hoping the gross weight increase would someday materialize but just couldn’t bring myself to pay what some other guy apparently did...

There are more of them out there appointed like this than you think.  I think most people just keep them on the down low....

These are all incredibly useful comments. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the input. You’ve all given me great guidance and a good set of questions to ask when assessing individual examples.  Thanks genuinely for the help. 

I come from the collector car world, but there are waaaay fewer variables to consider there.  The variation in options and avionics upgrades make this quite a fun challenge.  

The particular plane I was hoping to acquire went off market, but the hunt continues!

All the best. 

Edited by krb5137
  • Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 5:58 AM, krb5137 said:

These are all incredibly useful comments. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the input. You’ve all given me great guidance and a good set of questions to ask when assessing individual examples.  Thanks genuinely for the help. 

I come from the collector car world, but there are waaaay fewer variables to consider there.  The variation in options and avionics upgrades make this quite a fun challenge.  

The particular plane I was hoping to acquire went off market, but the hunt continues!

All the best. 

Yes you will find we are in a seller’s market right now. I had three airplanes I tried to make offers on that someone else already put a prebuy contract on. The good ones don’t even last days on the market before being bought up. Good luck in the hunt. It might help to wait until the frenzy dies down or be quick n the draw. 

On 8/13/2021 at 3:44 AM, Schllc said:

Yep, I looked at that one very closely, a very nice Dr in Chicago. The plane was immaculate and very well maintained. My challenge was the UL was somewhere around 780#

if I remember correctly it also had long range tanks. 
this meant a single pilot could not legally fill the tanks.
I was optimistically hoping the gross weight increase would someday materialize but just couldn’t bring myself to pay what some other guy apparently did...

There are more of them out there appointed like this than you think.  I think most people just keep them on the down low....

That airplane had an interest history.  I did several transition trainings in it.  When I delivered into him I had a nice tailwind and was doing 300 knots over the ground most of the way from Santa Barbara to DuPage.  I remember stopping short of DuPage and staying overnight someplace when winds at DuPage were 29 gusting to 52.  The air was still pretty rough for the first couple of days of the training and the Chicago temperature was bone chilling cold for this California transplant.

• Haha 1