I almost bought this airplane in 2019

This seems like a rather minor incident but I wonder if it was from some type of engine failure or if it was pilot error (improper fuel planning/ exhaustion)? The reason I’m so curious is that I had to walk away after paying for an annual (horrendously bad annual) as the prebuy inspection. This was a learning experience that I’m glad I came away from only a few thousand poorer than tens of thousands poorer. The airplane had been sitting for 7+ years and kept having red flags pop up. So I walked away. I posted about it back in 2019.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/06/mooney-m20c-n167ld-incident-occurred.html?m=1

P.S. I made a much better decision a couple months later and still own a beautiful and well maintained M20C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I looked at a plane once that had a 30 year old original engine. The seller thought it was worth more because no one messed with the factory engine. The price went from $125k to $82 after two more years. Had it been priced in the $90’s I would of bought it, I had already moved on. It was actually the family selling after the owner/flyer unexpectedly died, lots of emotion tied with it too. 

That sounds like a similar story here. The grandfather passed away and left it to the grandson. He was asking a fair price had the engine not been sitting for 7+ years and the other issues were dons. I ended up walking away after we filled it with fuel and it started leaking profusely from one of the tanks.

I was curious if anybody may have known who purchased it after I passed on it. I saw the name on the registration but don’t know who it of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk