I have a few questions for people with more experience than me. 

Daniel.Arbre

Just now, Daniel.Arbre said:

A- 

hahaha yea so true. I have a old shoulder injury from tennis so I guess I’ll have to buy a J model. I tried looking for M20Cs but no electric gear!

Also do J models need to get high performance endorsement??

C models were built from 1962 to 1977. All Mooneys built had electric gear beginning in 1969. My 1970 M20-C has electric gear, but is.not for sale. I know several others with electric gear. Before 1969, electric gear was optional.

The High Performance Endorsement is required for airplanes with more than 200 hp. All Mooneys up through the J model do not have more than 200 hp. All Mooneys beginning with K and going up do have more than 200 hp. The models were introduced in alphabetical order, and often several were made at the same time.

Happy hunting! And get a good PPI regardless of which model you are interested in. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Nearly the same…

But the market values are harder to come by…

Look up the words PPI… Pre-purchase inspection…

There are no standards so getting one done properly to fit your needs and your budget is put to you…

As is the steps for finance, sales agreement, and assorted other details…

Best regards,

-a-

A - thanks so much for all your help and info!

Looks like Pipers are more expensive than Mooneys, TT are double or triple and hard to find.

I’m getting training using Cessna 172S.  The Mooneys approach and landing speed are faster than Cessna and so I’m still debate. Do people adjust to this quickly?

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

C models were built from 1962 to 1977. All Mooneys built had electric gear beginning in 1969. My 1970 M20-C has electric gear, but is.not for sale. I know several others with electric gear. Before 1969, electric gear was optional.

The High Performance Endorsement is required for airplanes with more than 200 hp. All Mooneys up through the J model do not have more than 200 hp. All Mooneys beginning with K and going up do have more than 200 hp. The models were introduced in alphabetical order, and often several were made at the same time.

Happy hunting! And get a good PPI regardless of which model you are interested in. 

Sure! I was wondering what PPI meant silently but I was worried I would sound stupid if I asked haha

thanks Hank! I will make sure to get a PPI.

9 minutes ago, carusoam said:

With the 200hp, technically no… but, you need the complex to go with that….

The usual route… Transition Training in the new 2U plane…

Insurance will dictate what you need done… a Mooney specific CFI is your key to proper transition…

Need an insurance guy… we have Parker…

Best regards,

-a-

There was a model I liked and its actually from Jimmy. As of now this is the best one I like including the cockpit. I’ll probably reach out to him soon. 

Not going to buy right away but I’ll make sure to find Parker.

It is not that difficult transition to the Mooney. I was 42 years old, trained in a Cessna 152, and then spent a bit of time in a piper archer. At 60 hours total time, I purchased and transitioned into my new to me  M20J. 
You can too, with no problems.   

2 hours ago, Daniel.Arbre said:

There was a model I liked and its actually from Jimmy. As of now this is the best one I like including the cockpit. I’ll probably reach out to him soon. 

Not going to buy right away but I’ll make sure to find Parker.

Jimmy seems to be a solid player.  You might pay a little more than market price, but when I bought from him there were absolutely no shenanigans.

4 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Jimmy seems to be a solid player.  You might pay a little more than market price, but when I bought from him there were absolutely no shenanigans.

Jimmy IS a solid player.

He has been doing this for decades… and it shows.

Selecting a Mooney over brand P or C isn’t that hard…. Write down a list of priorities… grade each airframe 

If you like speed and efficiency with excellent build quality… go Mooney!

If you are afraid that your piloting skills are not up to the task… your insurance guy knows that already.

Something they don’t teach in flight school…. Transition training is a normal step forwards… until you have flown one of everything out there…

Typical TT is about 10hrs with a CFI… followed by 10hrs solo before taking passengers… more or less…

Maybe you are really good…. And pick up on all the differences in a one hour conversation… and see all the details immediately in a two hour flight…

In a good transition… you get to see all aspects of flight, from taxi to landing, including e-procedures…

You will like the Mooney by the time you taxi to the runway… you will love the Mooney as push the throttle in…you will want the Mooney after you leave the fuel pumps…

You will know you made the right decision a year later…

You will have proof of the right decision a decade later…

Plan your success carefully… it’s probably not a chain of random events…

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

You will like the Mooney by the time you taxi to the runway… you will love the Mooney as push the throttle in…you will want the Mooney after you leave the fuel pumps…

I feel like thats me whenever i see this guys bravo fuel at my field. Almost twice as fast and can go way higher. Man i wish my E could do that, but i still love my E. 

Its like a miata vs a ferrari to me. Both really fun cars.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Daniel.Arbre said:

I guess I’ll have to buy a J model. I tried looking for M20Cs but no electric gear!

Also do J models need to get high performance endorsement??

While I would never talk anyone out of a J, there are electric gear C, E, and F models that will also meet your needs.  The J only needs the complex endorsement as it isn't over 200 hp.

13 hours ago, Daniel.Arbre said:

A - thanks so much for all your help and info!

Looks like Pipers are more expensive than Mooneys, TT are double or triple and hard to find.

I’m getting training using Cessna 172S.  The Mooneys approach and landing speed are faster than Cessna and so I’m still debate. Do people adjust to this quickly?

All landing is about energy management.  There are ways to manage energy. Gear, throttle, pitch, flaps.   employing all of them is called piloting.   Just learn how to use them all.  

14 hours ago, Will.iam said:

I loved my dad’s mooney so much i bought one for myself when i grew up. He wasn’t wrong then and it’s still true now. 

One fo the few things dads and sons can agree upon…. :)

That and Chevy vs. Ford debates… always on the same side…

Best regards,

-a-