430W WAAS data card

FastTex

23 minutes ago, Mooney Dog said:

Thanks! At least this seems to be about $100 less the Spruce! I will ask if this can be used for both sides.

11 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Garmin Data or Jepp Navdata?  They take different cards and readers determined by which vendor you buy the data from.

For the 400/500 units? I dont believe thats true. Jeppesen supplies the nav data for the garmin units anyways. 

• Like 1

When the 400/500 units came out, Jeppesen supplied the nav data. You had to buy data and the card programmer from Jepp. Several years ago, Garmin began supplying nav data. You can use the Jepp card with Garmin data, but you have to buy a Garmin programmer -- the Jepp programmer won't work with the FlyGarmin downloader.

I get my nav and terrain data from Garmin. I had the terrain card go bad and bought one from Mypilotstore.com which was the lowest price I could find. I haven't purchased a nav data card -- the original Jepp card that came with my 430W is still working.

Skip

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MBDiagMan said:

Garmin Data or Jepp Navdata?  They take different cards and readers determined by which vendor you buy the data from.

1 hour ago, Mooney Dog said:

For the 400/500 units? I dont believe thats true. Jeppesen supplies the nav data for the garmin units anyways. 

Neither of those is true… or I could just be reading what you’re saying wrong…

The same cards work for a 430w whether you’re using Garmin data or Jepp.  The reader for the card (usb reader) is different, but the card is the same.

You can buy data from either Garmin or jepp.  It’s basically the same but not quite.  Garmin is cheaper.

2 minutes ago, PT20J said:

When the 400/500 units came out, Jeppesen supplied the nav data. You had to buy data and the card programmer from Jepp. Several years ago, Garmin began supplying nav data. You can use the Jepp card with Garmin data, but you have to buy a Garmin programmer -- the Jepp programmer won't work with the FlyGarmin downloader.

I get my nav and terrain data from Garmin. I had the terrain card go bad and bought one from Mypilotstore.com which was the lowest price I could find. I haven't purchased a nav data card -- the original Jepp card that came with my 430W is still working.

Skip

Yeah, skip beat me to it.  What he said.

1 hour ago, Ragsf15e said:

Neither of those is true… or I could just be reading what you’re saying wrong…

The same cards work for a 430w whether you’re using Garmin data or Jepp.  The reader for the card (usb reader) is different, but the card is the same.

You can buy data from either Garmin or jepp.  It’s basically the same but not quite.  Garmin is cheaper.

Just to clarify, the Garmin USB card reader used to update the nav data for the Garmin database is also the one used to update the terrain data card, so if you've ever updated the terrain data card, you already have the correct USB card reader.

• Thanks 1

Do you guys know if both cards (Terrain and IFRW) are the same?  or are they different SKUs?

Worldwide Terrain Database Card for Garmin GNS 430(W) / 530 (W) - MyPilotStore.com

They seem so expensive...it's a little of a pain to take them out, bring them home, update them and re-connect. Is that what all of you are doing? Maybe I should create an update station at the hangar and use my cell as hotspot to update.

1 hour ago, FastTex said:

Do you guys know if both cards (Terrain and IFRW) are the same?  or are they different SKUs?

Worldwide Terrain Database Card for Garmin GNS 430(W) / 530 (W) - MyPilotStore.com

They seem so expensive...it's a little of a pain to take them out, bring them home, update them and re-connect. Is that what all of you are doing? Maybe I should create an update station at the hangar and use my cell as hotspot to update.

I am pretty sure they are different and cannot be interchanged.  I take a little Windows tablet with me to the hangar and hotspot it from my phone to update the nav data, it works fine since the download is so small.  That's the only downside of getting the nav data from Garmin--you need to be connected while updating the card, whereas Jepp's updater can download the nav data ahead of time and update it offline

Edited by jaylw314

16 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I am pretty sure they are different and cannot be interchanged.  I take a little Windows tablet with me to the hangar and hotspot it from my phone to update the nav data, it works fine since the download is so small.  That's the only downside of getting the nav data from Garmin--you need to be connected while updating the card, whereas Jepp's updater can download the nav data ahead of time and update it offline

Thanks. That's what I was thinking to do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2021 at 9:23 PM, Mooney Dog said:

Yes depending on whether you use Jepp or Garmin as a vendor determines which card and which reader you use.  Additionally the cards are different between WAAS and non WAAS.  And yes I’m talking about the 400 and 500.

I use Jepp nav data through the JDM app and this little beauty https://bad-elf.com/pages/wombat-piston to get my updates right at the airplane. It is slower than a computer download but it works well and is very convenient in those “I forgot today was update day” situations. I keep it and my Jepp Skybound adapter in my flight bag.

Cheers,
Rick

The card is the same whether you get Jepp or Garmin data. The “reader” or programming adapter is different depending on data vendor, Jepp or Garmin. I had Jepp data, then switched to Garmin for my 430AW when I installed a 750Xi. Had to get a new reader from Garmin but continued to use the same card. You may have to change cards though, if your existing card is the Silver Label. I believe there have been three label colors, Silver, Green and currently the Orange label. I know the Silver and Orange cannot use the same Jepp adapter, not sure about the Green. I don’t know if you need different adapters for different card colors if you get your data from Garmin.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/21/2021 at 4:51 PM, Junkman said:

I use Jepp nav data through the JDM app and this little beauty https://bad-elf.com/pages/wombat-piston to get my updates right at the airplane. It is slower than a computer download but it works well and is very convenient in those “I forgot today was update day” situations. I keep it and my Jepp Skybound adapter in my flight bag.

Cheers,
Rick

I do the same - Jeppesen Data subscription which was from I bought the plane. Download the file at home to the  JDM app and now use the bad-elf Wombat to update while I clean windows and check the plane over. Used to use an old Laptop but it got so slow and problematic I gave up and got the Wombat. 

On 8/21/2021 at 5:28 PM, jlunseth said:

The card is the same whether you get Jepp or Garmin data. The “reader” or programming adapter is different depending on data vendor, Jepp or Garmin. I had Jepp data, then switched to Garmin for my 430AW when I installed a 750Xi. Had to get a new reader from Garmin but continued to use the same card. You may have to change cards though, if your existing card is the Silver Label. I believe there have been three label colors, Silver, Green and currently the Orange label. I know the Silver and Orange cannot use the same Jepp adapter, not sure about the Green. I don’t know if you need different adapters for different card colors if you get your data from Garmin.

I have a 'silver' label data card for my 430W and had to buy the Garmin programmer, but no issues.  I don't think the color matters for Garmin.

• 11 months later...

I know this is an old thread but wondering if someone can help. I have a 430 Waas with outdated nav data card that has not been updated since took ownership of plane over 3 years ago. Purchased a Garmin Data card reader for Garmin nav db update. Plugged in reader and installed drivers. LED light has steady green on reader. When I plug in data card, it goes to amber and occasionally pulsates but never turns green again which I think should happen. Garmin data manager software never sees the card even after refresh. The card works in the 430 unit. Any ideas? 

I think you have a computer/driver problem if your software doesn't 'see' the programmer.  Your LED color behavior is the same as mine: green BEFORE I plug in the card, and AMBER after I plug it in; I don't think that's your issue.

It's been years, but I recall some problems selecting the correct software option; I use the "older method" mentioned on one of the software screens.  I think this is because I have an old Windows machine.

11 hours ago, MikeOH said:

I think you have a computer/driver problem if your software doesn't 'see' the programmer.  Your LED color behavior is the same as mine: green BEFORE I plug in the card, and AMBER after I plug it in; I don't think that's your issue.

It's been years, but I recall some problems selecting the correct software option; I use the "older method" mentioned on one of the software screens.  I think this is because I have an old Windows machine.

Thanks for the information. I don't think I can use the older method since I'm on Windows 11 and the browsers are not compatible with that older software. When I look on Garmin's website about the driver, it says: "The light will be an amber color by default (this is normal), and will turn green when a card is inserted and is being read by the programmer."  Unfortunately, the light just stays amber. I don't think it's the card since it works in the GNS 430 but it has not been updated in years. The card is silver. If the card is bad, I guess if I purchase another card (which I was planning on doing anyway), it may work with that. Otherwise, maybe the Garmin reader is bad. I've seen other reviews that say it doesn't recognize the card but never read where they have found a solution. I just don't want to keep going down a rabbit hole that is not helping. I'll try Garmin support next.

47 minutes ago, JoeFFG9 said:

Problem solved. Garmin support found that I may have clicked the 430 non-WAAS DB instead of the 430 WAAS which caused the reader to think the silver card was not compatible. Once he switched it to Waas, it then worked. Yea!

I'm in the same boat as you are. I've had the plane for four years and I've never updated the GNS 430W. I'm currently having  two GI-275s installed and will be purchasing the OnePak for the 275's and the 430W, I hope my 430 cards will update. I guess I'll know within the next week... Hopefully pick the plane up Friday.

Everything will work…

Just finding the proper method to make them work can be challenging…

Same thing for BK database updates…

No requirement for having a 1990s computer or old OS systems… to make it happen…

+1 for getting through to the customer service folks…

Best regards,

-a-