Non WAAS G1000

The factory started manufacturing WAAS G1000 Mooneys sometime in mid-late 2007. There were a few GFC 700 non-WAAS airframes produced; all the S-Tec G1000 Mooneys were originally non-WAAS. The Bravos were all initially non-WAAS. Some of the early 2007 Acclaims were non-WAAS, but almost all of them in the US were upgraded to WAAS.

The surest way to tell if if a G1000 Mooney is WAAS is to remove the avionics bay panel on the pilot’s side of the fuselage and look at the part number of of the GIA units; the GIA 63 (non-WAAS) is p/n 011-00781-00 and the WAAS GIA 63W is p/n 011-01105-01 or -20.

• Like 4

You can verify if a G1000 is WAAS by going into the GPS section and looking if it has SBAS options. If it does, there will be a checkbox for WAAS

If you look on this image, you can see the SBAS option as one of the click buttons on the bottom row, then you see on the right middle side of the screen the selection for SBAS, WAAS being included. 

EGNOS | The Flying Engineer

Also from Garmin

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=2NXSbVXJ088EejYw5lX0p8

image.png.9a4af037f8726cb721f5a51ce6174cf1.png

Edited by Mooney Dog
added image / Garmin link
  • Like 2

Quote:
„The surest way to tell if if a G1000 Mooney is WAAS is to remove the avionics bay panel on the pilot’s side of the fuselage and look at the part number of of the GIA units; the GIA 63 (non-WAAS) is p/n 011-00781-00 and the WAAS GIA 63W is p/n 011-01105-00 or -20.“

As a reference for other people please let me correct the GIA product numbers:

011-01105-00 will NOT work in a Mooney using the .34 WAAS Software.
It is either the -20 or (if must be) the -01 version of the GIA 63W.
Ask me how I know

TC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Deb said:

The factory started manufacturing WAAS G1000 Mooneys sometime in mid-late 2007. There were a few GFC 700 non-WAAS airframes produced; all the S-Tec G1000 Mooneys were originally non-WAAS. The Bravos were all initially non-WAAS. Some of the early 2007 Acclaims were non-WAAS, but almost all of them in the US were upgraded to WAAS.

The surest way to tell if if a G1000 Mooney is WAAS is to remove the avionics bay panel on the pilot’s side of the fuselage and look at the part number of of the GIA units; the GIA 63 (non-WAAS) is p/n 011-00781-00 and the WAAS GIA 63W is p/n 011-01105-00 or -20.

8 hours ago, Graf_Aviator said:

011-01105-00 will NOT work in a Mooney using the .34 WAAS Software.
It is either the -20 or (if must be) the -01 version of the GIA 63W.
Ask me how I know emoji52.png

I dont know about the actual number on the units, since they can be upgraded, but i do know you can check on the units themselves when powered on as i posted up above. 

Does one of yall know the exact year which they started included WAAS in G1000 non NXI for sure? I know all the NXIs have it from factory now. 

1 hour ago, bmcconnaha said:

Thanks for the info, all.  On a separate. It’s, will we see the ability to go from a legacy g1000 non waas to an NXI setup? I see some other manufacturers have, but didn’t see mooney listed on Garmins site.  

You would have to contract garmin direction for that information. While it does not say directly on their website, there are sometime exceptions done. 

Garmin has been very responsive on their emails lately. Its been about 30 hours for a reply for my questions recently. 

1 hour ago, bmcconnaha said:

Thanks for the info, all.  On a separate. It’s, will we see the ability to go from a legacy g1000 non waas to an NXI setup? I see some other manufacturers have, but didn’t see mooney listed on Garmins site.  

It will require Mooney's cooperation with Garmin.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mooney Dog said:

You can verify if a G1000 is WAAS by going into the GPS section and looking if it has SBAS options. If it does, there will be a checkbox for WAAS

If you look on this image, you can see the SBAS option as one of the click buttons on the bottom row, then you see on the right middle side of the screen the selection for SBAS, WAAS being included. 

EGNOS | The Flying Engineer

Also from Garmin

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=2NXSbVXJ088EejYw5lX0p8

image.png.9a4af037f8726cb721f5a51ce6174cf1.png

Look at the satellite signal strength.  The “D” on there means “differential” or corrected signal.  That is a dead giveaway that you have a WAAS receiver.

My 2006 Acclaim is non-WAAS, it was exported to Brazil and I bought it here.  I was going to buy the GIA-Ws but I ended up holding off as there is no WAAS here in South America and if they come up with an NXi upgrade path I would prefer that to simply upgrading the GIA's and being stuck with the legacy G1000.  I talked to Don Maxwell in Longview last year and he was pretty sure the new management at Mooney was going to come up with an upgrade path.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bentonck said:

My 2006 Acclaim is non-WAAS, it was exported to Brazil and I bought it here.  I was going to buy the GIA-Ws but I ended up holding off as there is no WAAS here in South America and if they come up with an NXi upgrade path I would prefer that to simply upgrading the GIA's and being stuck with the legacy G1000.  I talked to Don Maxwell in Longview last year and he was pretty sure the new management at Mooney was going to come up with an upgrade path.

my '07? Acclaim (s/n 0031) is G700 w/nonWAAS G1K and it would really be nice to have that added utility.  Any idea of cost for conversion?  My avionics guy checked on it after I bought this bird a few years back & said $30K!  I said I didn't need it that badly...  TIA

Gents,

Mooney G1000 systems can be converted from non-waas to waas…

The challenge was… it takes both Mooney and big G working together to get updates signed off…

Proper signatures were a giant time delay…

Proper parts and details were available for a while… they were expensive too….

When all was said and done… there is one resource that has the skills and inventory to make it happen….  Find Paul Maxwell… @Pmaxwell

Best regards,

-a-

G1000 WAAS upgrade is possible but could turn out to be a real endeavor. 
I went through this last summer/autumn - see my PIREP here.
@Graf_Aviator mastered this challenge earlier this year - see his learnings in this thread above.

@Pmaxwell is certainly the address to contact..
When it comes to future upgrades like NXI I have the fear that the S-TEC drivers (like Graf_Aviator and myself) might get stucked.
However, I'm happy with the WAAS capabilities of my N913KS.

Best regards,

Matthias

• Like 1

4 hours ago, recolimited said:

do you have G1K?  if not, what are you staring at enroute???

If im VMC, outside so i can see and avoid! I only really need airspeed and altitude anyways. 

My plane does not have a G1k nor do i want one. As it stand, im getting exactly what i want right now. Dual G5s, 255 for coms, and a 375 for gps/adsb in-out. Soon to add a GFC500 AP

Between all the different glass systems ive flown, the best in light singles was still the G500 with dual 430W units, but ive come to really enjoy the redundancy of the 6 pack augmented with either a g5 or gi275. The g1000 (with kap150 or gfc700) is great but it leaves a ton to be desired from someone who's flown many different flight decks. I never know why but something is just... missing. 

I do like the fact they hid a TC behind the G1k originally so the old rate based APs could work with it though. Wasnt a problem after the GFC700 came into play. 

Maintenance & Avionics - You can see why aircraft manufacturers and  avionics installers like "glass"