Gear won't retract

Why would you? The plane climbs a lot better with the gear up, and the gear doors are pretty easy to overspeed.

What happens in a partial power loss scenario? Are you comfortable with that risk?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ShuRugal said:

Why would you? The plane climbs a lot better with the gear up, and the gear doors are pretty easy to overspeed.

What happens in a partial power loss scenario? Are you comfortable with that risk?

Shu is right, Dick. Even doing pattern work in my C, I pull power on the crosswind leg to keep from nlowung through pattern altitude, and just lowering the nose can put me above 120moh by the time I level off.

Stop and fix the plane, you'll be flying again soon enough.

Technically the plane is no longer airworthy. If you don’t know exactly why the gear won’t come up, you may be at further risk of damage or even the gear folding. If anything went wrong now you’d be explaining to the FAA and your insurance company why you thought it was okay to go fly it like this - especially doing touch and goes. Technically/legally you need a ferry permit signed off by your A&P that it’s safe to fly and you’d be restricted to just flying to a specific destination for needed maintenance, day VFR with required crew only. Now isn’t the time to risk even a minor incident, as you could find yourself deviated and uninsurable when your policy comes up for renewing.
You have a lot invested with your license and plane - why risk it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Great question Dick!

Glad you asked.

:)

Lets not accidentally find a new way of having a GU landing….

The typical reasons for the gear not retracting…

• problem with the airspeed switch…
  • problem with old donuts, cold day, and squat switch…
  • J bar not removed from the down lock block…

Once you know why the gear won’t go up… your mechanic will know how to disable it properly… probably needs to be pretty Mooney savvy….  Or the time spent will be better put towards fixing it properly…

Best regards,

-a-