Looking for Instrument Flight Instructor KISP

Hi all! Im looking for a flight instructor to get my IR completed. Im a few days away from being ready to schedule my written and would like to start scheduling flights.

Im based out of KISP. My J is a 1977 with the following equipment:
- Dual G5
- GFC 500 4 axis
- IFD 440
- MX 170C (VOR only no GS)
- PMA450B
- EDM 730

Im looking for someone that is comfortable with this equipment as well as ok with me using a digital EFB (foreflight). If you are not 100% comfortable with the IFD I have a bunch of training material that I will gladly provide.

I've spoken to a few CFIs locally and they will only train with paper, Ive flown digitally since basically day one and have zero desire to go back to paper charts. To me it makes absolutely zero sense to train in a different way then what I will actually be flying when I have my rating and considering its already apart of my workflow it seems to make even less sense.

I have 250+ hours, 160+ XC hours and am currently flying around 10-15 hours a month. I do work a 9-5, but work from home. I can be available on weekends at any time, or anytime before or after work. If there is a perfect day to fly actual I will gladly take days off to get that experience.

If you are interested or know someone that would be interested please let me know!

Thanks!
Dylan

• Like 1

Dam thats a nice set up. I wish i was in the NY area. Id gladly fly and help you out. 

Im surprised you're running into problems with people only wanting to train with paper. Thats just not how things are done these days. I understand the need for understanding how the old methods work but thats a bit far. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mooney Dog said:

Dam thats a nice set up. I wish i was in the NY area. Id gladly fly and help you out. 

Im surprised you're running into problems with people only wanting to train with paper. Thats just not how things are done these days. I understand the need for understanding how the old methods work but thats a bit far. 

Thanks, me too lol

I dont understand it either. It provides a massive amount of situational awareness that at this point Im not interested in giving it up. Its also kept me far more organized. Obviously I would expect it to "fail" randomly, totally understandable.

Hopefully someone here has a good contact

Starting with paper on the ground is easier, you can both look and see things--no need to zoom in and out; no "oops, I accidentally touched the screen, where are we now?" moments, etc. Then transition to your EFB of choice.

10 minutes ago, Hank said:

Starting with paper on the ground is easier, you can both look and see things--no need to zoom in and out; no "oops, I accidentally touched the screen, where are we now?" moments, etc. Then transition to your EFB of choice.

That I totally understand. But I’m talking about in the air as well.

Hmmmm….

Toss us a pic, and I’ll throw you my inside guy who may know an answer for you… whip/idol discussion… - Indiana Jones/Raiders

Inviting @StevenL757 for insight on CFIIs at KISP…

The written is completely separate from the practical… don’t fear getting started on both as soon as practical…

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

@dzeleski Dylan, get ahold of me via PM and I’ll give you my contact #.  I have a couple of people…one in particular…who can tick all the boxes on your list and know the equipment you have very well.

Also, not sure where you’re planning to take your IRA written, but Mid-Island over by the avionics shop has a testing center on-site.  Give John Macchia a call at 631-588-5400 (hit “zero” when you get the intro message) and he can get you scheduled.

I’ll be at the airport probably later today, and on and off over the next couple of days, doing an oil change, so feel free to drop by.

Steve

• Like 1

@carusoam @StevenL757 Thanks guys.

Steve ill be up at the airport in a few hours ill swing by if I see you, if not ill PM you later.

Im 211 Shepard air questions away from taking a practice test, if that goes well I will be scheduling my written hopefully by the end of the week. I will be using mid island.

44 minutes ago, dzeleski said:

Im 211 Shepard air questions away from taking a practice test, if that goes well I will be scheduling my written hopefully by the end of the week. I will be using mid island.

+1 for Shepard air! One of, if not the, best test prep software out there. Super nice support people as well. 

I believe for the PPL and IFR though, they have partnered with sportys, and provide their questions free on sporty study buddy site. 

4 hours ago, dzeleski said:

@carusoam @StevenL757 Thanks guys.

Steve ill be up at the airport in a few hours ill swing by if I see you, if not ill PM you later.

I used them for my ATP written and also my Dispatcher (ADX) exams.  Got a 95% on both.  Follow their instructions to the letter and you’ll do fine.

Practice test after practice test…

Because the questions are written in a standard government test methodology…

Sneaky, misguiding, obfuscation…. The works…

practice to recognize how often you make a similar mistake while reading a similar style question…. Oops.

There used to be a library of about 300+ questions…

See each question, find out what made you get it wrong…

I bet the questions have finally been updated… but the government methodology probably hasn’t changed…

If you still see questions about ADF and DME… or RMI….    These are valid history questions regarding the ice age…. :)

Since I wasn’t a pro flyer… I wanted something to indicate I took the IR test seriously…

It doesn’t take much effort to get a passing score… I got one wrong, score was a 98…. They don’t tell what question you got wrong…

in the end, I barely took unrelated passengers into IMC… nobody to tell my fancy score about… :)

The practical part is probably 90% of IR flying…  the other 10% is when things go pear shaped… recognizing various instrument failures, and how to work with ATC when you need to…

Its really fun when you get comfortable with all of this…

For fun… there are a few MSers that have posted their IR flights in YouTube… using real equipment and Mooneys…

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

Jack Napoli is a MAPA PPP instructor located in the Hampton’s I believe he’s listed on the Mooney Flyer, he is in Florida six mos years and on Long Island the other six., I’ve flown to Florida for his instruction

In my experience high knowledge test scores tells examiner you know your stuff and the oral becomes just a formality.   Be prepared for this question.  You just got your Instrument ticket and now you are at Block Island lined up ready to depart and you can’t depart VFR.  What do you do? Know all the steps.  

On 8/23/2021 at 4:37 PM, tmo said:

Shepp say the IR written is the worst. Hopefully I'll catch up with you soon enough...

It was easily the most effort ive put into any written test, by a long margin. I did sportys ground videos first, didnt bother answering any of their quizes though. Then I did shep air. I think the context a bit of ground school gives is very helpful to sheps method.

18 hours ago, KB4 said:

In my experience high knowledge test scores tells examiner you know your stuff and the oral becomes just a formality.   Be prepared for this question.  You just got your Instrument ticket and now you are at Block Island lined up ready to depart and you can’t depart VFR.  What do you do? Know all the steps.  

I had a similar score on my PPL as well, oral was like 45 min. Hilariously I had specific question about diverting to block island due to weather with low fuel.