Mooney owner and now RV-14 builder

M20 Ogler

As if I didn’t have enough work to do caring for a vintage Mooney. I was presented with an opportunity/bargain to good to pass up on an essentially untouched RV-14 tail kit plus what seems like almost all the tools in Cleaveland’s catalog and a couple months prepaid for the hangar/workshop it’s in. A guy at my field decided building was not for him and would rather spend his resources flying. Wife said go for it. 

I hope to fly the Mooney while I spend the next several years (5 to 10 I think) building the RV. Feels like I may have jumped in the ocean with no swimming lessons. Anyone here done something like this?

• Like 1

For a success story of building a plane while flying a Mooney… find @Yooper Rocketman

There are a few MSers that fly RVs… sometimes they list the tail numbers along with their Mooney tail number…

Building and flying seem to be two very different interests… hence, the number of RV tail sections that have been started then passed along…

Add a pic…. :)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

LOL I log into Mooneyspace for the first time in a year and of course the top post is about building a RV-14.

I started mine January 2020 and sold my 67F since I didn't have anywhere to fly to until COVID is over.

I'm about done with my elevators, then moving on to the fuselage.  Got the wings on order, expecting them in about 7 months.

If you want to see me stumble through it, I've been posting video to youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/c/joshsinclair

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My dad and Neighbohr built an rv-7 in their retirement years. They only worked on it from 8am to noon mon-Fri. But they finished it in 2 years flat. Flew it until they were too old and then sold it. I would have bought it but needed a 4 seat and it wouldn’t work for me. 

• Like 1