M20R - Air Conditioning - GFC500 Autopilot Limitation

V1VRV2

Ok… the avionics shop figured out all you need to make this work are 2 X 90 degree adapters for the servo/wiring harness connections to clear the A/C plenum above. I was told there was paperwork available from Garmin but I could not find it online. Maybe someone here is better at the interwebz than me and can find it and post it here before I can get a hold of it from my AV shop.

BBBCA507-83C1-4006-95E6-6DEA5396C0FE.jpeg

Edited by V1VRV2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2021 at 7:47 PM, carusoam said:

V1,

The guy that heads up customer communication on the inter webs for big G is called @TrekLawler

He can be found on MS’s BT section….  :)  (BT is actually a separate entity from MS)

Best regards,

-a-

@TrekLawler hasn’t been seen here since last December. He seems to hang out on Beechtalk more often. I PM’d him there with a G3X question, but he never answered. I have not been having much luck getting credible answers from Garmin on technical questions lately. My Garmin dealer hasn’t faired much better.

Skip

On 8/3/2021 at 5:14 PM, jamesm said:

Curious to know, if  the servo in the background on the right side in v1vrv2's picture the  yaw dampener servo ?

Thanks,

James

Yes.  The pitch servo is on the left in the photo.  The yaw damper (as opposed to “dampener”) servo is on the right.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Frank Ward said:

If someone has paperwork that allows the GFC 500 to be installed in M20R with air conditioning I would really like a copy of that. Today I received an email from Garmin saying they do not have a work around yet. 
Thanks,

Frank 

B50E107C-A047-4125-BE3C-8FB88CDCFD17.png

@V1VRV2 was the closest to having n answer…

so I invited him to stop by and share if he has heard anything yet…

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you carusoam for inviting me back to the discussion. I am having my plane delivered next week and will be having the discussion with my shop,  Green Mountain Avionics, about the paperwork making the mod legal. I will report back. 

• Like 1

It was explained to me that the latest revision of the GFC500 STC has no limitations on aircraft with factory installed air conditioning. The service letter issued by Mooney is no longer relevant to the revised STC. All good to go with a GFC500 and factory AC.

4 hours ago, V1VRV2 said:

It was explained to me that the latest revision of the GFC500 STC has no limitations on aircraft with factory installed air conditioning. The service letter issued by Mooney is no longer relevant to the revised STC. All good to go with a GFC500 and factory AC.

How is that possible since Garmin said last week that Garmin Service Letter 1923 Rev A still applies? 

image.png.a386cda4244a8d39f20e4ad5edfce4fb.png

The STC  has an approved model list, which is continually getting updated, but if there is a Service Letter regarding specific airframes on that AML with factory A/C, I believe that would still be in effect until they rescind that Service Letter.

This is more complicated than my pay grade allows me to understand. Im just relaying info. Maybe wrong info. It WAAS explained to me after a 3rd request for info that the adapters are not the issue. They work. They are fine. The issue is that there is a minimum required clearance from the wiring loom to the A/C plenum which this modification does not address even though it works. There is no fix for the clearance issue. I was told this was addressed as minor repair. No field approval required. The work was done in conjunction with GARMIN. That’s all the info I can relay right now.

Maybe someone with more experience can contribute their .02