AF1B Break-In

BravoWhiskey

On 10/11/2021 at 10:04 AM, affricate said:

THANK YOU 

Thanks again for the wiring diagram, 

The issues with the gear and stall warning systems are now working properly after correcting some faulty wiring found with the connector at thes tall/gear warning control unit.

The MOH is complete, the install is complete and the plane is now in Junction, TX for annual. I didn't skimp: New hoses, wastegate, prop OH, turbo OH, exhaust .... Everything!

Picking this baby up on 11/2 and headed back to Tucson,

Screenshot_20211005-170626.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well we're back at it with the alternator and VR.  Full run-up with everything on (lights, AC, etc got us a negative draw.  My elec trim is inop currently and has been for a while.  So i have had the master switch for that in the off position.  Any chance this is somehow related.  

20210914_161118.jpg

Just a quick update, N1085G flight from KJCT to KTUS was uneventful. Engine break in was performed. We took off, circled around the field, just in case we had problems. Then headed home. We followed Lycoming break in procedures and took data the entire flight. Thank you @John Orcutt for all of the 45+ years of knowledge with Mooney and prior breakins. Why go at it alone? 

PXL_20211106_132146342.jpg

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, affricate said:

Just a quick update, N1085G flight from KJCT to KTUS was uneventful. Engine break in was performed. We took off, circled around the field, just in case we had problems. Then headed home. We followed Lycoming break in procedures and took data the entire flight. Thank you @John Orcutt for all of the 45+ years of knowledge with Mooney and prior breakins. Why go at it alone? 

PXL_20211106_132146342.jpg

Yikes!  An easier way of recording and reviewing data might have been the following:

Engine Breakin N91595.xlsx

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, affricate said:

Well hell,  I guess we went old school :)

I thought I recognized that registration number.  I've flown your plane 12.7 hours when I transitioned Dave Norinsky from his previous J to the Bravo.  We flew it from Don Maxwells to Petaluma, California in one long day.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, donkaye said:

I thought I recognized that registration number.  I've flown your plane 12.7 hours when I transitioned Dave Norinsky from his previous J to the Bravo.  We flew it from Don Maxwells to Petaluma, California in one long day.

It's a great plane! I purchased N1085G fom Dave  10/2020. Just completed MOH, and it's settling in nicely!

Screenshot_20211106-085008.png

Screenshot_20211106-084944.png

10 hours ago, BravoWhiskey said:

Well we're back at it with the alternator and VR.  Full run-up with everything on (lights, AC, etc got us a negative draw.  My elec trim is inop currently and has been for a while.  So i have had the master switch for that in the off position.  Any chance this is somehow related.  

20210914_161118.jpg

Same on both batteries? If only one battery, there’s your problem.

-dan

On 11/6/2021 at 8:39 AM, donkaye said:

Hey @donkaye, about how long did it take your engine to settle after break in? What are your CHTs on average? 

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2021 at 8:43 PM, carusoam said:

+1 for the extra set of eyes…

Like the 100amu hanging on a chain….

That same 100amu is now holding up your plane, your butt, and your hopes and dreams….  :)

Good luck with the break in… it will all go fine.

Best regards,

-a-

Running great!!!!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2021 at 8:20 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Why a new alternator? While mine was down for a Bravo conversion and I was waiting for cylinders to come back I sent the alternators out to Aero Accessories in Van Nuys, CA for an overhaul (http://aeroacc-vny.com/) They received my two alternators on a Monday and shipped them back out on Wednesday. Great service and they look brand new. Very fair prices (had both of them rebuilt for much less than one new alternator), great communication and excellent service!!!

BEFORE

image.png.7782e0cc98838d90df69baa48a098d70.pngimage.png.c53f95a43b122b8070414e17d36053b7.png

AFTER

image.png.97ce80ec6998f5787b3a64b4ff4bb019.png

** Beautiful **

Hoping to have Bravo Betty, N9149P, back and continue the reman break-in that the shop started already.  We were so near to completion and then on the Eric's third flight at shutdown the left voltage regulator failed.  Glad it happened while he had it and Don Maxwell has the expertise to fix it.  In fact he found that the left and right had issues.  

Anyway, hope to get flying soon so I can get her in shape for OSH.  A trip from Indiana to North Dakota and Colorado should put some needed time on her.

For those that have had a reman, not OH, how long did it take for temps to come down and oil consumption to stabilize?

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked up N9149P from Eric at Oasis yesterday.  (well done Eric!)    He had put ~3hours on her already.  I put another 2hours on her flying home keeping the power up and alternating the RPM +/- 100 every 10 minutes.   At 11K with OAT 4C and cowl open the CHTs ranged from 380 to 425 which I've been told is normal during break in.  The EGTs leaned ROP were 1390-1450.   The TIT was 1200-1250.

On the prior engine we didn't have a good engine monitor so we kept TIT low and leaned to ~1350.  Now that we have a JPI and new engine I am curious how people lean to TIT.  I tried that on the way home and the EGTs peaked first, so I enrichened to 100 ROP.   

What should I expect when the engine is broke in?   Do you lean to the TIT in the POH, or to EGTs?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

What should I expect when the engine is broke in?   Do you lean to the TIT in the POH, or to EGTs?

Definitely don’t lean to the 1750 in the POH, unless you put a new set of cylinders on order, because you’ll need then in a couple hundred hours if you do that. Make sure you have a new TIT probe to a good known gauge, 1600 is a good number to lean to once you’re broken in. For cruise on the Bravos I had, I liked 29/24

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat.   Newly overhauled engine with different temps than I'm accustom.    Prior to OH I ran 29/24,  17.5-18.5 GPH, around 1600 TIT, cowl flaps closed, with cyl temps all well below 375.   After OH, cowl flaps open, 1425-1450 TIT, over 21.5 GPH with #6 around 390.   I'm 20 hours in and the cly temps are slowly coming in line.    Last flight I ran 1500 at 18.5-19 GPH, cowl flaps 1/3 open, with #6 at 385.  Outside air temps have been well above standard and all measurements have been at 29/24.   Things are trending toward my "normal".  I'm hoping she was just good and tight coming out of OH.  I had the same experience with an IO-360 I OHd years ago.  Took forever for temps to stabilize but once they did, she was a fantastic engine with very little oil usage.  Fingers crossed.   

• Like 1

If you don’t have new baffle seals it’s hard to keep cylinder head temps below the high 300’s/low 400’s. My temps went down a minimum of 15-20 degrees when I changed them out. (I recommend GEE BEE @GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS

The old seals may look ok but they get “lazy” and fold over and blow back allowing the air to escape to the fire wall rather than being forced down over the cooling fins on the cylinders. Good baffle seals are important on any engine but especially on this engine.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

If you don’t have new baffle seals it’s hard to keep cylinder head temps below the high 300’s/low 400’s. My temps went down a minimum of 15-20 degrees when I changed them out. (I recommend GEE BEE @GEE-BEE AEROPRODUCTS

The old seals may look ok but they get “lazy” and fold over and blow back allowing the air to escape to the fire wall rather than being forced down over the cooling fins on the cylinders. Good baffle seals are important on any engine but especially on this engine.

I installed Guys seal on this airframe before the overhaul and had the same results.  15-20 degrees across the board.   These new jugs just aren't there yet.  

• 1 month later...

brief follow up… it’s been 1 yr since my MOH and first annual.  
Overall everything seems great except for a few minor bugs. 
1st, the engine overhaul seems to be great.  Runs real smooth at all power settings.  I like running 30/2200 @ 16.5-17.  At 11k that gets me over 170kia.  Temp on #6 is higher than I want at 385 while the rest are below 370 but I have a lazy baffle right above #6.  
2nd, the 4 blade MT prop seems to work as advertised.  Feels smooth at different speeds, and quiet compared to the original but then again I also had a hurting motor when I had that combo… but still, I have completed a few long trips these past few weeks and it just feels smooth.  
3rd, the alternator repairs worked out well finally but I have a bad alt volt light that stays on constantly.  It was diagnosed as a faulty indicator light after a number of tests on the rest of the system.  So that will be addressed at annual.

4th, my GDL69 (XM wether and radio) has intermittent failures.  Problem there is it’s impossible to diagnose an electronic failure when it’s not consistent.   Don’t mind not having music, but I just completed 2 big trips where it would have been nice to have it working the whole time.  When it does fail it fails at startup, but could come back online after an hour.  When it comes on line at startup it stays on.

5th and final, the trim is being really tight and burned out the elec trim.  This gremlin has haunted this plane for its entire life.  I have flown more hours with it being INOP so it’s at a point where I’m used to using the trim wheel when AP asks for help with trim.  So this will also be addressed at annual.

All in, despite some of these issues, I gotta say I am quite pleased with this machine.  I just completed a 4 city business trip in one week that would have been possible, but taxing, had I gone commercial and/or rented cars for some of the shorter hops.  One thing I learned from that trip though, I think I will start filing IFR for all my flights over 100nm now.  Flight following is great as well but there was a moment when I wasn’t comfortable with deteriorating ceilings and visibility.  

Well that’s about it.  I’ll probably share a follow up on these bugs after the annual…

• Like 1