Stall strip repaint

Hello Everyone,

I'm planning to remove the stall strips from my Mooney, clean them up and repaint. I had the blessing from my A&P.

My strips have four screws each so I should not have any problems repositioning them in the right spot (assuming I can take them off!).

Any suggestions on how to remove the paint, clean and repaint?

Thanks!

Stall strip.jpg

Stall strips are custom fit to each individual plane (flight tested and drilled in place once stall is finalized). I'd ck around first before removing them to be sure - ck with an MSC or a paint shop...

-Don

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Not sure I’d remove them, as mentioned above they are tweaked for each aircraft….. clean and paint in place

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Maybe I just tape and clean them in place. Do you guys think I can use paint remover or too close to the wings?

I would prefer not to keep patching them with paint and do a cleaner job.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Not sure I’d remove them, as mentioned above they are tweaked for each aircraft….. clean and paint in place

Why? They are already placed, just make sure to know which side is up and which one goes on which wing, and you can't mess it up. Or am I missing something?

Zeph used to advocate taking them off, chrome plating then putting them back on. Shiny spinner, shiny stall strips and shiny hubcaps, all to increase visibility of the plane when the sun is shining. I read almost the entire Mooneyland website in my first year of ownership, despite the exotic, often clashing and sometimes difficult to read colors . . . .

• Like 1

Zeph used to advocate taking them off, chrome plating then putting them back on. Shiny spinner, shiny stall strips and shiny hubcaps, all to increase visibility of the plane when the sun is shining. I read almost the entire Mooneyland website in my first year of ownership, despite the exotic, often clashing and sometimes difficult to read colors . . . .
I like the idea...I might just spray them chrome with clear coat like I did with my door handle.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Paint may make the airplane look pretty, but it’s real purpose is to protect against corrosion. It looks like paint is missing on both the wing skin and stall strip and that’s a good location to trap moisture. If it were mine, I’d remove the strip and make sure no corrosion is starting underneath. Then I’d prime and paint the wing and the stall strip. 

Skip

• Like 1

Leading edges experience the most erosion of paint…(lots of impact with bugs, rain, cloud bits, dirt)

The sharper the edges… the less the paint can adhere… (stay stuck to)

+1 for corrosion protection and seeing what is under them…

Where they are placed… is all about AOA and the split line…. Keep them organized, oriented, and going back in the same location… even if that means doing one at a time…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic….

Best regards,

-a-