M20J ram air broke - any point in fixing it?

• 2 months later...
On 7/26/2021 at 10:47 PM, 201Mooniac said:

That is the LoPresti Cowl and it is a great modification.  When it was put on my plane, I got significant increase of 8+ KTAS.  The ram air on that cowling gives a true 1.25" increase in manifold pressure.  It also significantly increases the ability to pre-fight since there is a large access door on both sides of the cowling which spans the baffling so you can easily see the entire top of the engine.  I can reach in through the left door and grab the magneto to make sure it isn't coming loose.  Additionally, the parting line is lowered so when removing only the top cowling you have great access for routine maintenance.

So your flight planning TAS went from 155 to 163? That’s what I file in my 1980 M20J at 11.5 gph at 7-8000’. My cowl is getting pretty scuffed up and I’ve contemplated a replacement….

On 7/26/2021 at 11:29 PM, carusoam said:

That’s pretty interesting…

WAT bought up all things Lopresti… mostly for their HID landing light aka Boom Beam.

The price on the cowling doesn’t seem to have been updated in 20 years…

The website says….  Made to order… so there isn’t a whole lot of NOS holding that price stable…

Getting a new Lopresti cowl at that price would be great…

20 years ago, that was a new car price… :)

Call before ordering… if they adjust the price to today’s new car price… that would be bad…

Roy LoPresti made some wonderful parts for Mooneys…  He was THE Speed Merchant…

Best regards,

-a-

I asked the Welland guys at Oshkosh and they basically acted like that piece is no longer available. If you wanted to pay upfront and wait 6-9 months, they may, be able to get one for you. But I think that’s over with.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/26/2021 at 9:53 PM, dominikos said:

in my x-country flight, I tried to use it Ram Air above 6,000 ft as recommended by POH. And… I should know better, it broke - most likely the line. Now it hangs loose and opens up in the flight by itself. 

Is there an easy fix for this? Or looking at some older post, should I even try to fix it instead of closing permanently? 

Thanks, Dominik

If it’s in the open and not closed position you don’t want to fly until you get it addressed- even if you safety wire it closed temporarily.  That is unfiltered air. 

Someone recently posted on the Facebook group an engine stoppage due to ram air left open in IMC 

Wow! This forum is a life saver. 

I thought this whole time Mooney just never put one in because it a 1977. Maybe they started installing Ram air in 78'. 

Just realized that someone just blanked it off. Nice!!

Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 9.54.22 AM.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/7/2022 at 8:59 AM, SEOExperts said:

If you are still looking for Lorpesti Cowl mods, use this link instead. https://flywat.com/collections/cowl-aircraft-mods

Welcome aboard https://www.seoexperts.com!

That is a good link to the Lopresti cowl owners….

I was trying to find out what an SEO was…  :)

Best regards,

-a-