OSH and Whelen LED Wingtip Recognition Lights

For those of you at AirVenture...  If you pass by one of the Whelen Booths (#488 & #1088), try and get an update on a LED replacement for the wingtip recognition light.  And if they're designing it to be a direct replacement or if it will require a new mount

Who knows, maybe they're even rolling it out at the show!  Though the last time I talked to them they said maybe fall at the earliest.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PeteMc said:

For those of you at AirVenture...  If you pass by one of the Whelen Booths (#488 & #1088), try and get an update on a LED replacement for the wingtip recognition light.  And if they're designing it to be a direct replacement or if it will require a new mount

Who knows, maybe they're even rolling it out at the show!  Though the last time I talked to them they said maybe fall at the earliest.

We have @OSUAV8TER on the job…. :)

Great time to have OSU bug the Whelen guys directly for the long awaited LED Recog light…

Best regards,

-a-

1 minute ago, Airways said:

It’s amazing that we’ll have unleaded 100 avgas BEFORE an LED recognition light :blink:

We will? Unleaded is still unavailable here, but several different LED nav lights and landing lights have been on the market for several years.

1 minute ago, Hank said:

We will? Unleaded is still unavailable here, but several different LED nav lights and landing lights have been on the market for several years.

But no LED recog lights, but GAMI achieved STC status yesterday with 100 UL.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

But no LED recog lights, but GAMI achieved STC status yesterday with 100 UL.

I was not aware of GAMI's approval yesterday. Looks like the Feds got off their collective asses!  :D

Pray tell, what exactly are "recognition lights," and how are they different from the red & white belly blinker, red & green wingtip lights and the white tail light? All of these have been available from multiple sources for our planes.

Recognition lights face forward, usually housed within the nav light lens. They are white and used in lieu of landing lights. Some wig-wag. Search this site and you will find numerous threads and photos.

Here is an STC kit for a Bonanza

https://www.wilcoaircraftparts.com/product-p/whelenorionbeechcraft28v.htm

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the 100UL to roll out and how expensive it winds up being.    I'm looking forward to it but not holding my breath, especially since STC and AML requirements will probably keep it from being general for a while.

26 minutes ago, Hank said:

Whelen Orion LED nav lights have LED recognition lights built in. Someone also makes new-style wingtip with both built in. A set was auctioned at Mooney Summit 2018, I think.

You are mistaking strobes with recognition lights. 

The Aveo tips are not approved for Acclaim and Ovation models.

https://www.aveoengineering.com/crystal-conforma-for-mooney/

19 hours ago, Hank said:

Pray tell, what exactly are "recognition lights,"

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words....

And the reason for my original post is that a number of Mooney owners have this older Non LED light and Whelen keeps saying they are interested in supplying a replacement.  Air Venture is a good place to nail down the Execs when you want real answers.  And I think they will do it eventually, just need to push them to get it into the pipeline.

570768683_Whelen70303RecognitionLight.thumb.jpg.b28e8fef2b9d95ef5723690123397a7e.jpg

Edited by PeteMc
ARGH... Sorry folks, didn't realize my photo editor changed the file extension...

And the reason for my original post is that a number of Mooney owners have this older Non LED light and Whelen keeps saying they are interested in supplying a replacement.  Air Venture is a good place to nail down the Execs when you want real answers.  And I think they will do it eventually, just need to push them to get it into the pipeline.
Whelen 70303 Recognition Light.afphoto

You need to talk to Tyler Wheeler. He is the CEO of WAT and he is at the show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Whelen 70303 Recognition Light.afphoto 19.32 MB · 3 downloads

Whatever this attachment is, it won't open on a recent model-year Mac.  Would you please repost in a standard image format (jpg, png, etc.)?  :)

6 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

Whatever this attachment is, it won't open on a recent model-year Mac.  Would you please repost in a standard image format (jpg, png, etc.)?  :)

The easy way is to open it on your own display, take a screenshot and post it. I've never heard of an "AFP" filetype.

16 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

Whatever this attachment is

Sorry, didn't realize the file type had changed from .jpg.  I edited my original post and just put the image (now a .jpg) in the post.

(Thanks for pointing it out!!)

• Like 1

Got a pic with the melted spot on it?

Pete is demonstrating his great memory skills…. 

It only takes forgetting them once to alter the nicely formed lens…

Their best use is at non-towered fields… you can’t miss a Mooney on final with recog lights on…

:)

After landing checklists saves a few AMUs over time…

LED recog lights could save these AMUs as well…

Great things for Mr. Wheeler to know…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1