Two TFR Interceptions Over My Home Today

I live on the edge of the presidential TFR.  I was outside working at about 10am and I heard a very loud jet.  I look up and see an F16 in a tight right hand turn.  A few seconds later a C172 comes into view.  The F16 circles the 172 two more times and looks as though he is forced toward KRDG.

At 8pm I was putting my kids to bed and hear another F16 outside.   I go out and see another Cessna getting circled and forced towards KRDG.

Please pay attention out there.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Kmac said:

Please pay attention out there.

Thanks for the reminder! Monitoring 121.5 in the #2 radio is always a good practice but especially when flying in proximity to a TFR. If they can talk to you things can go much smoother.

Cheers,
Rick

• Thanks 1

My airport is in the 12nm inner ring. We have had a few “overnight” guests since Biden came into office. The weirdest one was a guy doing a relocation of a plane from New Jersey to an airport out west. He was talking to Philly and they actually cleared him into the inner ring. He was intercepted and landed at our airport. Philly acknowledged their mistake but the guy was forced to stay the whole weekend.

Fortunately none of the intercepts were from our airport. There have been several from airports in the outer ring and a few from airports just outside.

A realtor friend of mine did tell me that the Secret Service snagged a drone operator who was taking an aerial shot of house being put on the market and inside the inner ring. Must have been an older drone. Mine won’t let me take off when I am in restricted airspace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks 1

The DC TFR practically covers the entire eastern seaboard.
;-)
0d92ebea64009e5de77e976063168686.jpg

You got that right. And it sucks. We were told by the Secret Service they were building a helipad at his beach house. We took that to mean he would be there most of the summer. He made one trip so far to the beach. My guess is the locals got out their pitchforks. When he is in town, a lot of roads are blocked off. That would not go well in a beach town where they survive on the summer business.

We are hopeful he would take up fly fishing or some other hobby that gets him out of Dodge more frequently.

The biggest issue has been the time changes he makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

That's crazy.

I got into the drone thing when I saw one used at my daughter’s wedding. Pretty cool technology.

My drone has an onboard ADS-B sensor and will warn me of nearby airplanes. And show them on the map you can pull up from the operations screen. The FAA is requiring drones I think in 2023 to be equipped to do ADS-B out. I think mine already has the hardware but hasn’t been activated by the firmware.

The FAA even created an app called B4UFLY that shows you the restricted airspace.

9dfd6a7aaeabdaefd1f5e9f777df9659.png

• Like 2

An agent friend of mine said he’s going home instead of the beach to get medical treatment especially prior to important engagements. Who knows what’s up, we’ve given up half our weekend flights this year so far. C I’ll try to get o2 n the week or so if your around 

• Like 1

Medical treatment? He is healthy as a horse. His doctor even says so in this article here. 

Updated July 22, 2021, 12:27 PM EDT

The latest political news and analysis from the campaign trail:

SEE NEW POSTS

Marianna Sotomayor and Mike Memoli

586d ago / 4:24 PM EST

Joe Biden releases medical assessment, described as 'healthy, vigorous'

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump may call Joe Biden “sleepy,” but the former vice president’s physician states that the 77-year-old is in good health and nowhere near slowing down.

Dr. Kevin O’Connor of The George Washington University released a three-page medical summary of Biden's health on Tuesday at the request of his patient, in which he described Biden as a “healthy, vigorous, 77-year-old male, who is fit to successfully execute the duties of the Presidency to include those as Chief Executive, Head of State and Commander in Chief.”

5 hours ago, Marauder said:

You got that right. And it sucks. We were told by the Secret Service they were building a helipad at his beach house. We took that to mean he would be there most of the summer. He made one trip so far to the beach. My guess is the locals got out their pitchforks. When he is in town, a lot of roads are blocked off. That would not go well in a beach town where they survive on the summer business.

We are hopeful he would take up fly fishing or some other hobby that gets him out of Dodge more frequently.

The biggest issue has been the time changes he makes.

I feel your pain. My home drome is 25 miles from Mar-a-Lago, and he was down here for weeks at a time during the winters. We all learned to adapt, and it became old hand after a while, the only restriction being that we couldn't "loiter" (ie, no practice approaches or air work). We had to make a beeline for the outer ring and do all of our practice work from afar. A VFR flight plan was a must, even though we didn't activate it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Marauder said:

My airport is in the 12nm inner ring. We have had a few “overnight” guests since Biden came into office. The weirdest one was a guy doing a relocation of a plane from New Jersey to an airport out west. He was talking to Philly and they actually cleared him into the inner ring. He was intercepted and landed at our airport. Philly acknowledged their mistake but the guy was forced to stay the whole weekend.

I file IFR more often these days after the recent administration change -  doing so often avoids thinking and hassle over the Wilmington TFR. Your story is a good reminder to not be become totally oblivious even when IFR.  A few weeks ago my IFR clearance routed me directly through the P40 prohibited area while the surrounding Camp David TFR was in effect. I was surprised when I saw the clearance but said nothing - I'd assumed they had an automated system to prevent this.  The controller gave me a vector around it just as I was about to call them with a nervous inquiry on the subject.  It's easier to say something in the air than be forced to land by an F16 and do a lot of explaining.

Edited by DXB
  • Like 2

He was talking to Philly and they actually cleared him into the inner ring. He was intercepted and landed at our airport. Philly acknowledged their mistake but the guy was forced to stay the whole weekend.

We were in Fort Lauderdale a few years ago, and heading home. Prez TFR for Trump was nearby. ATC was giving fast left and right vectors moving me closer and closer to the inner circle, then directly at in and close. I asked if they were going to turn me soon as I was heading directly at the inner circle. Now it was "on tape", but they did turn me and worked me away from it. I was ready to declare an emergency and turn away on my own if needed. I'd rather be arguing over if it was really an emergency with the FAA later than witht the Secret Service over a bust of a Presidential TFR really soon and face down on the pavement.

Wayne

• Like 1

It's stupid.  Are they really going to shoot down a Cessna (all little planes are Cessnas)   Just exactly how many people is that falling plane going to kill along with all the bullets.

Just hang it off the prop they will fly right by and run out of gas.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:13 AM, Marauder said:

I got into the drone thing when I saw one used at my daughter’s wedding. Pretty cool technology.

My drone has an onboard ADS-B sensor and will warn me of nearby airplanes. And show them on the map you can pull up from the operations screen. The FAA is requiring drones I think in 2023 to be equipped to do ADS-B out. I think mine already has the hardware but hasn’t been activated by the firmware.

The FAA even created an app called B4UFLY that shows you the restricted airspace.

9dfd6a7aaeabdaefd1f5e9f777df9659.png

I bought one that does not report on my flights.  The DJI apparently does always report and the FAA has shown up at people's houses.   It's kind of like the black box in my car.  If I am not dead, it will be pulled out if I get in a bad accident and stored in a secure location.

12 hours ago, hphillips said:

I’m on the edge of the Wilmington Presidential TFR as well and captured this image of the F16 deploying flares back in May. Even after the flares, it looked like they kept flying straight towards the center of the TFR.

2507E75D-8478-4554-AEBF-EA18B5D5BFC4.thumb.jpeg.1b13ef1cf7a684e84464733419559172.jpeg

Wow, is that a Cirrus?  They don't show flares on the NXi so it's understandable.

• Haha 1