Dan Gryder

14 hours ago, carusoam said:

I didn’t realize how polarizing Dan is…

Even BrYan said so…

-a-

“This is a monument to how to crash an airplane.” D.G.

I guess if you’re going to crash there are certainly benefits to flying with an experienced airplane crasher.

For better or worse this is experience that I lack. I hope to keep it that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Agreed, Ross.  I am almost certain that my DPE lied to me when I asked him how much he weighed prior to my PP check ride.  Everybody who flies or instructs in C-150s and 152s plays along.  

You didn’t take your ride in Western Indiana did you?  I took mine in a 66 C150F.  My DPE told me to figure him at 200lbs. I weighed 175lbs. I filled the tanks to approximately 12gal. When he showed up, I thought YHGTBSM… The next thing I thought was maybe I was being tested to see if I would say anything. I kept my mouth shut and passed my ride. My guess is he understated his weight by 20% or more. I kept thinking that we we’re likely violating the regs before I even had my ticket…

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shadrach said:

You didn’t take your ride in Western Indiana did you?  I took mine in a 66 C150F.  My DPE told me to figure him at 200lbs. I weighed 175lbs. I filled the tanks to approximately 12gal. When he showed up, I thought YHGTBSM… The next thing I thought was maybe I was being tested to see if I would say anything. I kept my mouth shut and passed my ride. My guess is he understated his weight by 20% or more. I kept thinking that we we’re likely violating the regs before I even had my ticket…

My DPE was fairly trim, but I avoided the while issue by filling the tanks then flying off to meet him.:P

My DPE was wafer thin… I think he was on a Marlboro diet.

He gave me the weight I should use to calculate WnB…

A standard way of separating absolute truth, from close enough… :)

Yikes, those 40° flaps are super draggy…

The C152 was extra powerful… with 110hp.

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 years later...

I would never encourage indulging in schadenfreude...EXCEPT when it has to do with Dan Gryder.;)

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10224871631801484&set=gm.782886880185896&idorvanity=596353932172526

[Not sure if link works for everyone - it's a 1 million plus defamation civil suit judgement against him in Texas.]

Not a fan of his videos.  He posted his probable cause to a fatal accident of a Baron near St Louis in January 2022 that was discussed in this thread. He was very adamant that this was an icing accident even though the freezing level was comfortably 4,000 ft above the altitude where the aircraft first departed controlled flight. Gryder even suggested in the initial video (that I believe was quickly deleted/replaced) that it was due to freezing drizzle when no freezing drizzle was reported anywhere near the area. He jumps to conclusions and fails to consider facts that are indisputable.  Here's my analysis of the weather for this accident.  

https://www.avwxtraining.com/post/initial-weather-analysis-of-a-fatal-baron-accident-west-of-st-louis

It's funny when you get his lackeys that like to pile on without carefully considering the facts...here's one comment from one of them... 

"Super detailed examination of weather data from a station 100 miles away. Maybe the next time a plane takes off into freezing drizzle, the geniuses at avwxtraining can put together another in depth analysis of why that plane should not have encountered icing...maybe they can make a presentation at the funeral. I'm not trying to be rude, or discount the data, but I just don't see how anyone can say it's too early to speculate a cause, and in the same breath rule out icing....when all the evidence (ring camera video, crash site, special weather report) all indicate icing."

Geesh. They like to attack the person since attacking the indisputable data isn't an option. The accident had nothing to do with icing as I had concluded a few days after the accident. When you Google the guy, it's amazing how many times he's been sued or in trouble with the law.  One thing is for sure, he's got a loyal following.  

Edited by Scott Dennstaedt, PhD
  • Like 9

20 hours ago, Scott Dennstaedt, PhD said:

Not a fan.  He posted his probable cause to a fatal accident of a Baron near St Louis in January 2022 as an icing accident even though the freezing level was comfortably 4000 ft above the altitude where the aircraft departed controlled flight. He even suggested that it was due to freezing drizzle when no freezing drizzle was reported anywhere near the area. He fails to consider facts that are indisputable. Of course, when I commented as such, him and his lackeys jumped all over me attacking the person and not the data. Here’s my early analysis of that accident.  

https://www.avwxtraining.com/post/initial-weather-analysis-of-a-fatal-baron-accident-west-of-st-louis

Great analysis!  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Scott Dennstaedt, PhD said:

Not a fan of his videos.  He posted his probable cause to a fatal accident of a Baron near St Louis in January 2022 that was discussed in this thread. He was very adamant that this was an icing accident even though the freezing level was comfortably 4,000 ft above the altitude where the aircraft first departed controlled flight. Gryder even suggested in the initial video (that I believe was quickly deleted/replaced) that it was due to freezing drizzle when no freezing drizzle was reported anywhere near the area. He jumps to conclusions and fails to consider facts that are indisputable. 

It's funny when you get his lackeys that like to pile on without carefully considering the facts...here's one comment from one of them... 

"Super detailed examination of weather data from a station 100 miles away. Maybe the next time a plane takes off into freezing drizzle, the geniuses at avwxtraining can put together another in depth analysis of why that plane should not have encountered icing...maybe they can make a presentation at the funeral. I'm not trying to be rude, or discount the data, but I just don't see how anyone can say it's too early to speculate a cause, and in the same breath rule out icing....when all the evidence (ring camera video, crash site, special weather report) all indicate icing."

Geesh. They like to attack the person since attacking the indisputable data isn't an option. The accident had nothing to do with icing as I had concluded a few days after the accident.   

I got I to it with Dan on that video. I was the controller working that plane, technically waiting for the Baron to check on while they were crashing. Literally had another aircraft pass off their right wing descending into KSUS and reported negative ice. At no point did the arrival, descending from FL230 to Surface accumulate ice. There was also a radar return that showed a steep left turn followed by a huge descent rate on the Starcheck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Dan Gryder is a piece of work. I decided to stop watching his videos. 

I think his accident analysis are just c**p, he thinks he knows everything and without much analysis he gives his opinion (because it just that, no facts) on how each accident occurred. 

I don't that he always downplaying other YouTubers like Juan Brown. 

I do have to say that his AQP for GA idea is really good. But at some point he dropped the ball and is getting worse with each new video. 

40 minutes ago, redbaron1982 said:

Dan Gryder is a piece of work. I decided to stop watching his videos. 

I think his accident analysis are just c**p, he thinks he knows everything and without much analysis he gives his opinion (because it just that, no facts) on how each accident occurred. 

I don't that he always downplaying other YouTubers like Juan Brown. 

I do have to say that his AQP for GA idea is really good. But at some point he dropped the ball and is getting worse with each new video. 

I’m with ya, my first time seeing him he was talking AQP, I thought “wow, great idea, glad this guys really promoting it”.

Next thing ya know he’s like than fellow at the bar that knows everything after half a light beer and won’t take the social cues you’re done listening! :) 

really too bad,  if he wudda stuck on being Mr AQP instead of the train wreck he’s shown himself to be it could have been really good for GA.