Ads-b for Garmin 480

Cheapest way might be wingtip or tailbeacon for out, sentry or stratus + iPad for in.  That configuration works well for a lot of people and is minimal labor.  You can possibly do it yourself and just get a signoff on the tailbeacon. No work behind your panel.  That’s a UAT solution, so US only below 18,000’.  Possibly allowed in bahamas, Mexico, Canada, but you’ll have to research it.

Another option is lynx 9000 transponder or GTX345.  Those both do in/out but at more than double the price plus installation.

If the UAT limits are ok with you, I’d definitely do the tailbeacon.

• Like 1

Cost effective?  Well, that would be a Scout and an iPad for 'In' and a Tailbeacon for 'Out'

Not counting the iPad, which I already had, the Scout was $200 and the Tailbeacon, installed, was $2300.  Granted, this solution doesn't involve your GNS480.  But, I do have a KT76 and it works fine with the Tailbeacon.

Others will be along shortly to explain how 'inefficient' that solution is, and how you should spend much more!

1 minute ago, Ragsf15e said:

Cheapest way might be wingtip or tailbeacon for out, sentry or stratus + iPad for in.  That configuration works well for a lot of people and is minimal labor.  You can possibly do it yourself and just get a signoff on the tailbeacon. No work behind your panel.  That’s a UAT solution, so US only below 18,000’.  Possibly allowed in bahamas, Mexico, Canada, but you’ll have to research it.

Another option is lynx 9000 transponder or GTX345.  Those both do in/out but at more than double the price plus installation.

If the UAT limits are ok with you, I’d definitely do the tailbeacon.

LOL! You type faster:D

• Haha 1

Just now, MikeOH said:

Cost effective?  Well, that would be a Scout and an iPad for 'In' and a Tailbeacon for 'Out'

Not counting the iPad, which I already had, the Scout was $200 and the Tailbeacon, installed, was $2300.  Granted, this solution doesn't involve your GNS480.

Others will be along shortly to explain how 'inefficient' that solution is, and how you should spend much more!

Nope, I totally agree.  Solid solution!  I have a GTX345 in mine because there wasn’t a tailbeacon/wingtip available when I got it.  If he was redoing the whole panel, I’d recommend a panel mounted solution so he could get weather and traffic on his big fancy screen or in his audio panel, but an iPad mounted with a ram ball mount on the panel is just as good if there’s not a full avionics installation happening.

Welcome aboard ao!

It helps to know…

1) What transponder do you have already?  (KT76…)

2) There are devices that work with existing transponders to add the WAAS / ADSB out to your broadcast…

3) ADSB in is not a requirement… so portables are the low cost way to get weather and traffic in your cockpit…

4) The Taibeacon and its brother are nice low cost devices used around here often…

5) The GDL family of devices are made by Garmin and come in a range of skills to match what you are looking to do…

6) for Robert’s device  above….   https://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/pnpages/11-15986.php?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9O6HBhCrARIsADx5qCSDg4YeVgZdOLZUhMMeerkJt0HWugAccRqTqumCyz1BPr5NbGnIu8QaAmpWEALw_wcB

7) See what is on the pre-flown shelf at @Alan Fox’s office…

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guru…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

my bird has an appareo stratus and transponder, which gives me in and out.  unfortunately, the stratus only works with foreflite, so i also have a gdl393d to provide the adsb-in to garmin pilot.

maybe garmin 375 would fit the bill, love my gns480, seriously love but hey the new boxes are just nice.  

If you have an M20A, you are likely short of panel space.  The inline GDL82 is not likely to work well with a KT76A, and not likely to be reliable anyway.  So a remote GTX33ES for ADSB out pairs nicely with a GNS480, or a remote GTX345R is even better for ADSB in and out.  I have one of each for you, send me a pm. 

Don

Here are a few considerations before you decide to go one way or the other. 

• Is your transponder a KT76 or KT76a. The two are not interchangeable and it is becoming increasingly more difficult to find a good working replacement for one of these 1/2 century old units. You live on borrowed time and sooner or later you will have to replace it. If you have a KT76a it is a very different story the newer models are easy to come by at a low cost point and work well with the Sky beacon etc. 
  • Does your GNS480 have software version 2.4? Older versions don't provide the ADSB+ GPS signal. You can update the units and I have seen the newer software version on eBay for $100.
  • Are you able to assist your IA in the installation?  The GNS480 - GTX33ES interconnect is actually fairly simple and requires "only" 3 connections.  
  • Do you use and IPAD - if so which software. Or do you have a GPS (Garmin 396, 496,660,796, 760)?

My setup is a GNS480 with GTX33ES for out and GDL39 with Aera660 for in. If you use and IPAD with FlyQ, WingsX, etc. SkyRadar or similar units a good low cost options. If you have a KT76 and can assist with the install this would be my recommendation and I can recommend @Aerodon from my personal experience buying equipment from him. 

If you have a good working KT76A and fully depend on the help from avionic shops using the Skybeacon is probably the fastest low cost option. 

If you can do a lot of the install yourself and enjoy doing it a combination of a gtx32 or gtx33 with a NAVWORX ADS600 will be the solution for ADS-B out and ADS-B in on the GNS480 with the lowest impact to your checking account.   

GNS480.JPG

• Thanks 1

And I do have a Navworx ADSB too, complete withe new harness to install with a GNS480.  The advantage with a GTX33ES or GTX345R is that only one antenna is required (save$), easy install, good performance.  I have heard of others struggling with the wingtip, tail or other boxes that need to 'sniff' the existing transponder install.  The savings disappear pretty quickly when you have to go back to the shop a couple of times.

Aerodon

8 hours ago, Schinderhannes said:

GNS480.JPG

@Schinderhannes

While I realize this is likely just a snip from an install manual, would this work as the two RS-232 outputs from the GNS480s are wire OR'ed together?

Seems contentious without hardware flow control hooked up (which is NOT depicted).

I have many solutions in stock , Here goes , First is the Skybeacon TSO 1500.00  dollars brand new , I will even program it for you , takes about an hour to install , plays well with your other radios....  Second is the Garmin GTX330ES also 1500.00 used and bench checked with 8130 will replace your current transponder , made to work with the garmin navigator , that you already have installed , will require approximately a 10 to 13 hour install.. ( check the clearance behind your current King transponder , as the GTX is approximately 3 inches deeper than the king)  , and finally , if you want in and out , I have an L3 lynx , This will provide in and out 3500.00 and will require approximately a 20 hour install.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/25/2021 at 12:53 AM, McMooney said:

my bird has an appareo stratus and transponder, which gives me in and out.  unfortunately, the stratus only works with foreflite, so i also have a gdl393d to provide the adsb-in to garmin pilot.

maybe garmin 375 would fit the bill, love my gns480, seriously love but hey the new boxes are just nice.  

I’ve never had a problem using my stratus with other apps. It’s worked fine with both FlyQ and FltPlan go.

Edited by Shadrach

18 hours ago, MikeOH said:

@Schinderhannes

While I realize this is likely just a snip from an install manual, would this work as the two RS-232 outputs from the GNS480s are wire OR'ed together?

Seems contentious without hardware flow control hooked up (which is NOT depicted).

I see your point, but I have only 1 GNS480 and did not look further into this. 

On 7/24/2021 at 11:53 PM, McMooney said:

Ive been redoing the entire panel in mine, and the 375 is very nice. GPS/ADSB im/out and good price, plus bluetooth for garmin and foreflight. Though it worked well for me due to the fact i didnt have a gps before. If you already have a GPS, the 345 is a great upgrade path as well. of course, those are for new units, and can get pricy. 

On 7/26/2021 at 5:00 AM, Shadrach said:

I’ve never had a problem using my stratus with other apps. It’s worked fine with both FlyQ and FltPlan go.

yeah, something about Garmin/foreflight not getting along i'm guessing, shrug.  at one point the new stratus 3 was supposed to work but seems it didnt happen.

there was an article that came out a while back about the original stratus being developed exclusively for use with foreflight