hate this new look

3 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

maybe its just me but I hate this new forum style.  I find myself coming here less and less.

Why did this new format/style happen and are there any advantages to it I am not seeing?

What specifically do you not like? General "I don't like this" is difficult for anyone to correct, like calling your doctor and saying "I don't feel good."

I’m getting fed up with the overly pushy ads that open up and you have to close to see a topic. Not easy to click out on a phone with big fingers. I know this is the point but it’s getting to be too much. I don’t mind having my eyes bombarded with ads, but the fingers are another story.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, 201er said:

I’m getting fed up with the overly pushy ads that open up and you have to close to see a topic. Not easy to click out on a phone with big fingers. I know this is the point but it’s getting to be too much. I don’t mind having my eyes bombarded with ads, but the fingers are another story.

I don’t ever see any ads.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, cferr59 said:

I paid the fee over a year ago and I am still seeing ads!

The membership is an annual event.

When you pay the fee…

there is a note that says supporter under your avatar.

the ads go away.

After a year goes by, the ads reappear…

The membership process is a partially manual event… some extra human interaction may be needed if you have paid for something that you didn’t receive… :)

I sent a note for you, up to the cloud….

PP thoughts about how this sites ads work… Not a site manager…

Best regards,

-a-

9 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

maybe its just me but I hate this new forum style.

With software….  There is a continuous update in progress… for every app, on every platform…

If the ads are getting in your way… as a few people have reported…

It is worth the minimal upkeep fee to have MS be ad free for you…

Throw the developers a bone….  Let them know what you don’t like… be specific enough…. They can do something for you.

I have placed specific requests over the years, and updates came in over time…

:)

Best regards,

-a-

30 minutes ago, cferr59 said:

I paid the fee over a year ago and I am still seeing ads!

Carusoam is correct.  The $10 minimum donation will remove ads for only one year.

As a side note it will not effect ads showing up via Tapatalk - those are from them and not us so I cannot make them go away.

As for the new look I posted here on why we had to update the theme/style of the site.  Personally I don't think it was that radical of a change...if you could be specific about what is worse now vs then that would help.  Also mention what kind of device you are using the site on such as a phone, tablet, desktop, etc.

• Thanks 1

I was joking about the timeframe for the ads as the membership is a clearly a yearly event.  I guess that didn't come across correctly.

While I don't like the pop-up ads, I understand that there is a cost to hosting the forum.  My main complaint (other than the pop up ads) is that the new theme has excessive whitespace.  Thank you for hosting the forum!

Edited by cferr59

29 minutes ago, cferr59 said:

I was joking about the timeframe for the ads as the membership is a clearly a yearly event.  I guess that didn't come across correctly.

While I don't like the pop-up ads, I understand that there is a cost to hosting the forum.  My main complaint (other than the pop up ads) is that the new theme has excessive whitespace.  Thank you for hosting the forum!

To use more left/right space on your screen you can try the "fluid width" feature.  Click on the "Customize" icon at the top right (looks like a left/right toggle switch) and select the "fluid width" option.  That will use your browsers max width for the posts, etc.

15 minutes ago, mooniac58 said:

To use more left/right space on your screen you can try the "fluid width" feature.  Click on the "Customize" icon at the top right (looks like a left/right toggle switch) and select the "fluid width" option.  That will use your browsers max width for the posts, etc.

I don’t see the “fluid width” option. I have the “background picker” and the “customize layout” options but “fluid width” is not under any of those options.

C46E8FF7-9F89-4CE5-9019-8E3AE16D5F2E.thumb.png.195117628990f1ac8d1d4fefbdd2ab04.png

90602923-00F5-4C45-B117-9267B83FD087.thumb.png.8d7e1797ce9664556d0bc0aa0469a076.png

Edited by Shadrach

1 minute ago, Shadrach said:

I don’t see the “fluid width” option. I have the “background picker” and the “customize layout” options but “fluid width” is not under any of those options.

Me, too.

You only see the option on the desktop version of the site - and that looks like an iPad so it would be using the mobile version.  It wouldn't help you on a tablet since the site is likely already using the full width of your screen.

What areas have extra white space that you are referring to?  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mooniac58 said:

You only see the option on the desktop version of the site - and that looks like an iPad so it would be using the mobile version.  It wouldn't help you on a tablet since the site is likely already using the full width of your screen.

What areas have extra white space that you are referring to?  

I just want it to fit my screen. As it stands, whenever the site loads or loads a new page,I have to pinch the screen to make it fit the screen.

544A7DA8-4EF7-4B9A-814D-103D255CFE01.thumb.png.6a865ed5e6b78f80361724d7700c622b.png

Does the iPad have an option to request the desktop version of the site?  If Safari does not you might try downloading the Chrome app as I think it has that option.  Not sure if that would fix it but it might be worth a shot

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 201er said:

I'm getting ads for my own company's products! What gives with that?! Also, I am seeing ads for "Depends" for large people. Wonder why that is happening?

• Haha 2